GOP Sen Suggests Abortion Laws Should Be ‘Turned Back To States’ As Roe Comes Under Threat

Then any other right, by extension, is under attack.

10 Likes

This time there might not be a war to keep them in, though…

ETA.
If Texas was another country, I could not have to visit my insane evolutionist creationist relatives because “my passport expired”.

4 Likes

Ssshhh. We have to pretend we’ll be really bent out of shape if they do so they don’t balk.

1 Like

Yes of course … and birth control … and minimum wage … and freedom of speech … and virtually all other civil rights issues

11 Likes

You know, this fellow reminds me of " Honest Abe " Lincoln, the late great President of these United States ! Who, after considerable thought, decided it was just too complicated to make a decision such as this. And thusly sent the matter back to the States cleverly avoiding getting primaried in 1865. The rest as they say is history !

3 Likes

Potentially any personal right that offends the morality of the Sanctimonious Six and is not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

2 Likes

Blows my mind that there are people in The Most Free Land of the Free that Ever Freedom’d who honestly believe we don’t have a right to privacy from government. And these same people who apparently think government has a right to decide your medical procedures don’t think it has a right to suggest masks during a pandemic; go figure.

13 Likes

Well, I guess this is an indication Republican donors want abortions available somewhere in the US - to help their mistresses and family members get one without the inconvenient of having to get a passport and/or visa.

8 Likes

The same originalist interpretation of the Constitution that bans Roe vs Wade also makes rounding up antivaxers en mass and running them through cattle chutes for vaccination legal at the state level.

After all, the Constitution says nothing about vaccinations or needles.

6 Likes

Braun: “I’m perfectly comfortable with doing it. Just not at the level where everybody’s gotta live with the same thing.”

No one and no state or national law forces a woman to have an abortion. So, a woman who does not want to have an abortion doesn’t “gotta live with the same thing”.

Oh, and fuck you.

16 Likes

That’s the thing, and a point I’ve made before: rights aren’t subject to the whims of the majority. People have rights. Period. When you have a right, that right cannot be taken away by a majority vote. That’s the point of it being a right. As Lee Harvey implies, if put to a vote, slavery might win the day. But that’s why it can’t be put to a vote. Likewise abortion. Likewise LGBTQ rights. Etc. The whole point of rights, and specifically the bill of rights, is to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority, a majority who may not like (ie, is prejudiced against) that minority. It’s sad that there are so many that either don’t understand this, or don’t give a sh!t because their hate is so great

12 Likes

They’re still Democrats.

The Democrats don’t have this problem: if Greenfield, Cunningham, Gideon, McGrath, etc., won their races.

They didn’t and the party has to live under ‘Rumsfeld’s rule’ (the caucus that they do have, as opposed to the caucus that they wished they had).

6 Likes

Following Coathanger Kavanaugh’s lead apparently.

On a more serious note, the oral arguments on the 15-week Mississippi case were bizarre. Two things were completely missing on both sides.

Analogs from other advanced democracies. Clearly, pregnancy is common throughout the species and well beyond. There are many reasons a woman might not want to be pregnant, and this has long been included under the rights to privacy guaranteed the individual by the Constitution. Conservatives have sought to limit that right, but here it was done without much discussion about how things are handled elsewhere. Finland’s official abortion rate is about half that of the official reported abortion rate for the US (11 vs. 21 per 1,000 women between 15 and 40). But that is only the start, Finns keep meticulous records while the US may have many off-the-books abortions. One thing that Finns do is ask the question why on earth a woman would wait to have a second trimester abortion, which is less than 10% of all abortions in Finland’s case. Broadly speaking, there are some issues there that fall into three equally large categories. In the first group, you have women on the fence about having yet another child. It may be that they or the husband has not been the provider they had hoped or as one child is handicapped, their efforts at childcare, even with state help, are daunting. So careful balancing. The second group consists of women who have become pregnant with a non-spouse or partner, or even a relative such as brother or father or step-father, and wonder how on earth they will pull it off if they deceive their partner, lose their partner if they are honest, or get beaten or killed for outing the incest-doer. What the Grateful Dead called, “says she’s got my child but it don’t look like me”. Finally, there are the procrastinators who may have mental issues or other problems that meant they never focused on the consequences of pregnancy. This is the group conservatives generally bring up, even if they are a minority of second-trimester abortion candidates. In other words, there is a tiny slice of pregnancies where the state might want to stick its nose, but why a doctor can’t be the first line of help is completely unclear in the court’s analysis.

Agency. Agency is a very old part of the law, insinuating itself everywhere. Modern law students get very little on agency beyond vicarious liability of say employers for the actions of their employees (and why Uber and Lyft are so hot to call their drivers independent contractors). But agency goes much deeper. We cannot simply pretend that at some point in time a woman can be stripped of her agency to determine what happens to her physical self, her mental stability and her financial prospects. Yet there’s Kavanaugh blithely pretending that its ok for states to peel off as much agency as they wish. Huh? And, hey, let’s grant agency to zygote Americans who precisely lack the ability to make determinations about the body in which they are gestating (beyond some kicking and hiccupping). In any case, since Roe is going down it might be worth drilling down to the agency bedrock on which it exists. Seems like Roberts would have brought in at least some adult supervision.

8 Likes

Agreed, was at the Guardian earlier, and read an article titled “To Rescue the Republic review: Grant, the crisis of 1876 … and a Fox News anchor reluctant to call out Trump”. Which lead me down the rabbit hole, to a series of Guardian articles from the past. Including: “A disputed election, a constitutional crisis, polarisation … welcome to 1876” from Sun 20 Aug 2020, “Thaddeus Stevens review: the Radical Republican America should remember” from Sun 28 Feb 2021, “The Great Dissenter review: a superb life of John Marshall Harlan, champion of equality” from Sun 13 June 2021,
“Supreme Ambition review: Trump, Kavanaugh and the right’s big coup” from Sun 1 Dec 2019, " Trump blasts calls for impeachment of Brett Kavanaugh after new allegations from Sun 15 Sep 2019, “The Chief review: John Roberts and the decline of American democracy” from Sun 21 Apr 2019,
" Supreme court: Joe Biden accuses Trump and Republicans of abuse of power from Mon 21 Sep 2021, It definitely started much earlier, after reading the articles though I felt a sense of relief. Knowing we’ve been here before and we managed to overcome the f*ckery.

You missed a category of second trimester abortions - poor women who need that much time to find the money, child care, and time off work to navigate all the hoops and delays to get their abortion (sonograms that ain’t free, waiting periods between appointments, videos and in-person visits from part-time professionals, and more) especially if they have to travel 4 or 5 hours each way to get it. Not inconsequential impediments.

6 Likes

So sick of these prevaricating morons. The dishonesty is epochal.

1 Like

That is an entirely American category. Finland has universal healthcare, so the state provides the operation and recovery care at no direct charge to the individual. Everybody pays taxes, so it is in the taxpayers interest to have good sex education and birth control to avoid unnecessary costs and suffering. Quite unlike the US, Finland is also concerned about outcomes. It consistently ranks among the countries with the lowest levels of infant mortality. Again, I heard nothing on that issue from ACB.

8 Likes

Always found “none of my damn business” was reason enough.

2 Likes

By “other issues”, I assume he means LGBTQ rights, birth control, inter-racial marriage, Brown v. Board of Education, Plessy v. Ferguson, Dred Scott…

7 Likes

Dem by party, but obstructionist by methodology. Agreed the answer is to make them irrelevant again.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available