GOP Sen Suggests Abortion Laws Should Be ‘Turned Back To States’ As Roe Comes Under Threat

Sen. Mike Braun (R-IN) on Sunday suggested that abortion laws should be left to states to decide, days after conservatives on the Supreme Court demonstrated a lack of pretense as they questioned Roe v. Wade’s constitutional legitimacy during a hearing on Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1396997
1 Like

All Braun, no brain…

20 Likes

“And when you talk about criminalizing it, then all you’re doing is taking this to a logical extreme that you’ll never get to anyway,” Braun said. “We just need to take it off of where it is, send it back to the states. Let’s find that right way to address it. And this applies to many other issues as well.”

12 Likes

Yeah…I know…

11 Likes

Such as Jim Crow or LGBTQ?

16 Likes

Handmaid recruiting?

10 Likes

I’m trying to taunt someone in fantasy football, so it’s odd to me that he (or Todd) didn’t talk about the noise from Indianapolis.

Chuck Todd’s a ‘thumb’, so that’s his built in excuse. I’m trying to figure out what’s Braun’s (and Todd Young/inevitably).

3 Likes

They already had that dance (Trump’s 'thumb" Pence was the Governor).

6 Likes

GOP Sen Suggests Slavery Laws Should Be ‘Turned Back To States’ As 14th Amendment Comes Under Threat

19 Likes

Here we have yet another RW republican who wants to relitigate the Constitution and refight the Civil War in favor of the Articles of Confederation.

12 Likes

Harriet Tubman’s recent prominence in our lives takes on new meaning.

16 Likes

Authoritarian scumbags and the cowardly congresscritters who cater to them.

15 Likes

Braun said. “We just need to take it off of where it is, send it back to the states. Let’s find that right way to address it. And this applies to many other issues as well.”

Sure, where a buyer’s money goes much farther.
Some places could surely decide against laws limiting the damage done by the externalities, or work conditions (eta,) of businesses.

5 Likes

I got a better idea, Sen Braun: how about we keep the law of the land and precedents we’ve had for 2 generations now and any states that don’t like it can fucking secede.

8 Likes

How much time do i need to look for that?

Trump’s already on record in hinting that freeing the slaves and birthright citizenship are mistakes.

13 Likes

Beats feeling unholy every time I pull a $20 out of my wallet and see Andrew Jackson’s ugly mug.

9 Likes

Purely a function of how long we go without addressing gerrymandering and the filibuster.

7 Likes

I’ve got a better idea, let’s ram an Amendment to the Constitution down their throats.

After several years of states banning abortions, and the horrors that will result, we should be able to scrub the fascists out of the state legislatures and pass it.

And let Barret choke on it.

5 Likes

50-50 Senate

2 Likes

Everything cannot be BothSided, Meet The Press.

If you want to rake in $$$$$$$$ and abdicate your mission to accurately report reality, say so.

The fact that you have not said so is among the most damaging things you have done to date.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available