GOP Sen Suggests Abortion Laws Should Be ‘Turned Back To States’ As Roe Comes Under Threat

46-2-2-50 Senate.

2 Likes

Is this Braun guy related to Eva? What a f*cking dick!

8 Likes

I think he’s Lloyd’s dad.

3 Likes

tosses Manchin n Sinema to Mitch.

k

4 Likes
12 Likes

My take on the last 40 years is that we took for granted the Social Contract of

the 1930s. Having grown up in it and benefited from it, Americans decided to toss it away.

Some people believe that the turnabout started with Reagan.

I believe that it started earlier.

Whenever the turnabout started it happened with big-pocketed people

12 Likes

This will be great. Each state will be able to create its own theocracy, with its own mini Army run by the governor. What could go wrong?

5 Likes

Maybe in the transportation section in the Infrastructure bill they should set aside some funds to repair the underground railroad.

10 Likes

“Braun argued that when it comes to abortion laws, ‘it’s time to turn it back to the states’.”

Excellent train of thought!

In fact, let’s follow that to its logical conclusion – and turn it back to The People, themselves.

Specifically, to those with wombs, who can decide for themselves.

(And everyone else can just STFU about it.)

27 Likes

11 Likes

From the article:

[“The court’s decision is expected next summer.”]

Until then…what say those who will suffer?

It doesn’t need to be an Amendment to the Constitution. Congress could pass a law nationalizing a right to abortion, which will be the next fight after this goes down.

It will take a while. It will need Dem supermajorities in Congress, a Dem President, and a different SCOTUS makeup, but it will happen some day. Maybe within my lifetime… although I’ve only got maybe another 15 years if I’m lucky. And at that point, the Red states can stuff it.

5 Likes

Yes…and let me point out that racism is among the most effective tools to wash away any hint of class consciousness among those who have the most to benefit from it…

It literally turns whole sectors of the population into “rulers”, with no need to look at the .01% and what they rake in every minute of every day.

6 Likes

Why stop at reducing jurisdiction at States? Why not reduce the jurisdiction to counties, or even municipalities? Let’s drill down even further. How about reducing jurisdiction over a woman’s pregnancy to that woman?

9 Likes

Shorter Braun: Okay by me if each state treats women and fetuses differently. Neither matter so why should they have rights under our Constitution?

If the right to be secure in one’s person does not include a right to prevent the search and seizure of one’s womb it is hard to say what would qualify.

9 Likes

when you talk about criminalizing it, then all you’re doing is taking this to a logical extreme

I agree that criminalizing abortion is extreme, but I have trouble with the logical part.

1 Like

As I understood it in the past …abortion has been said to be a Constitutional right. Should other enumerated rights “Be turned back to the states” as well Senator Braun? Like freedom of speech and the press, the right to vote if one is 18 years old??
If abortion is a Constitutional right that should have settled the issue. But then I’m just an old guy.

6 Likes

They walked across the aisle on their own.

2 Likes

And bigots who can’t stand American freedoms can move to Russia.

4 Likes

Not abortion per se. In Roe, the Court held that he 14th Amendment’s due process clause includes a right to privacy that in turn protects the decision to have an abortion. The Mississippi case, and apparently five or six Justices, claim the Constitution does not guaranty a general right to privacy. If that mind set prevails there are a lot of personal rights that will come under attack.

18 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available