GOP Sen Suggests Abortion Laws Should Be ‘Turned Back To States’ As Roe Comes Under Threat

They voted for the initial aid.

One of the seats is lost after Manchin retires.

What bothers me is that no one has an idea how to replace Sinema.

Arizona voters already said no to Aboud.

1 Like

I’m concerned no one in AZ is buying her routine and they’ll insist on an actual R next round.

If you refer to the horrors of failed coat hanger abortions or similar, I doubt most of them will make the news, and any that do will just become talking points for republicans. In fact, I doubt there will be as many coat hanger abortions as there are mass shootings in the US, and you know what republican reaction is to those.

1 Like

49 hour work week, Child Labor Law, Occupational Safety Law, Water Pollution Law, and Air Pollution Law to name a few more.

4 Likes

If a couple of Prom Queens die from Ectopic Pregnancy it will make the news. That may move the meter.

4 Likes

thread

12 Likes

Coat hanger abortions will be rare, thank FSM. Women can now get a series of pills for medicated abortion up to 10-12 weeks, and it’s easier now than it’s ever been to test for pregnancy after a missed period. There is nothing the Red states can do to stop women from getting pills by person-to-person mail from other states. They can’t fuck with the US mail, which is a Federal agency.

This will still hit poor women the hardest, those with the least access to money and the Internet, but it’s not like the 1950’s. As long as abortion is legal in Blue states – and I don’t think the SCOTUS is crazy enough for a general ban – the fight will continue and women can still get abortions if they know they’re pregnant early enough. After 12 weeks it will be travel to a Blue state, but they can still get one.

3 Likes

There can be no states rights against human rights
-Charles Sumner

5 Likes

Yeah, bring back state-sponsored racism to the states, too.

“Christ, what an asshole.” – Lucy van Pelt

(I can’t believe how many times I’ve posted that…)

Wait. Your human rights now depend on your zip code?

2 Likes

Texas does. I live here.

3 Likes

Sure, Texas made a law to restrict medical abortions, but they can’t stop people getting the pills from Blue states where it’s legal, because they have no authority to search the US Mail. A friend or relative in a Blue state can just mail the pills.

It’s not an ideal situation, but the fact that this is available makes it better than the 1950’s when a coat hanger abortion was the main option.

1 Like

Ahhh, the good ol’ days!!

I was told “something, something never again.”

Right. How many women who have never left the county they live in, have such friends or relatives? It’s not a realistic option.

2 Likes

Safe and easy medical abortion in the first 10-12 weeks is an option women in previous generations didn’t have, and it’s going to be a major pain in the ass for “pro-life” advocates trying to block abortions.

I’m not saying every woman will have access to it, but it’s going to be a factor in the way this will play out.

2 Likes

Bring Back? It left?

1 Like

There is already a solution in the 14th Amendment guaranteeing the equal protection of the laws. If a woman has the right to control her body in some states and not others, the 14th Amendment is violated.

1 Like

Here’s an opinion:

Braun is a sadist.

1 Like

The irony is that this could impact those anti-vaxxers who parrot the line “my body my choice.” If they overturn Roe on the basis that we don’t have the right to privacy concerning our own bodily autonomy it’s anyone’s guess where this all goes. I’ll assume it won’t be anywhere good.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available