Biden Laughs Off Campaign Trail Gaffes | Talking Points Memo

This use of the word “theory” is shameless flattery.

3 Likes

Biden is a liar and a chicken hawk like Dick Cheney.

Biden in 2005: “Let everyone here be absolutely clear, I supported the resolution to go to war.

Biden in 2019: “Everybody looks at it now, and says, we voted to go to war. It was not a vote to go to war.

He should never be Commander in Chief. He is unfit for duty.

Biden Bros!

1 Like

If Biden is the Dem candidate, gaffes, bullshitting and age notwithstanding, it looks to me like there are a huge number of people who’ll vote for Biden but’ll have second thoughts with any other Dem candidate.

I would hope that those second thoughts would be overridden by Trump’s crazy, but Trump has a real machine of nasty bastards and I’m just not sure Warren or anyone else is prepared for what’s to come.

They’ve never stopped promoting the derp.

2 Likes

You also hope that the rest of the team will rally around him (if he’s nominated), get some key hits and manufacture a lot of runs, play amazing defense, and get a win.

5 Likes

Are you saying that there is a large “Biden or Bust” contingent? I’m not disagreeing with you, just asking.

1 Like

You are wrong. FDR was the centrist governor of New York State In 1932, and was opposed by the left wing of the party; after failing on three ballots, he did the deals necessary with Cactus Jack Garner, William McAdoo and, yes, William Randolph Hurst, to get the nomination. Truman was so reviled by the left wing of the Democratic Party in 1948 that they walked out of the convention and nominated former VP, Henry Wallace. JFK’s liberal credentials were so much under attack in 1960 by Hubert Humphrey that Kennedy had to finally say, “I am an idealist, but an idealist without illusions.” LBJ got the nomination for obvious reasons, none of which were that he was a flaming liberal. Poor Hubert Humphrey, who was a true liberal, was killed by the crazy anti-war crowd in 1968, who preferred Nixon. Yes, they preferred Nixon. I could go on.

3 Likes

Like the Biden family who refused to vote for Hillary? Haha.

Wasn’t aware of that. Was it a big story? Did they go public during the campaign?

Yeah, he campaigned to left of Hillary, mostly on hope and change.
Obama delivered no real change. But when he talked, most people forgot about who he really was. The environment is the only area I give him any credit. Policy wise, there’s very little difference between Hillary and Obama. Except if Hillary had worked on a health care plan, it would have been written much better than the ACA. Tom Dasche, the drug company’s lackey would not have had as much input as he did in guaranteeing the right of drug companies to raise their drug prices however much they wanted to in return for their support for the bill. Over 5,000 percent increase overnight was permissible if drug companies felt they needed it. The ACA might have been a start in the right direction had we not lost the House and eventually the Senate so they could not make the changes necessary to fix it. At he end of the day, with all its warts, the ACA will eventually be scorned by most and will make it harder for anyone else to implement any real change to the system. The first few couple years were great, eventually, it becomes less and less affordable with every passing year. I fully supported the ACA from its inception up until 2017, then I took off my rose colored glasses I was viewing it through.

The Consumer Protection Act was another good thing to happen under Obama. It was Liz Warren who was the driving force behind it, not Obama.

I read about it a while ago. Not sure whether it was big news in 2016 since I wasn’t that much into politics then.(https://www.dailywire.com/news/42025/joe-bidens-brother-says-family-voted-trump-joseph-curl)
ETA: For folks who don’t wanna give dailywire a click, try this one: https://www.salon.com/2019/01/13/trump-insults-biden-as-weak-but-some-of-bidens-family-voted-for-trump/

This is good news.

Yes, he was dreadfully wrong.
Many on the far left are historically ignorant because they focus on the wrong parts of history in order to support their rigid ideological conclusions.

1 Like

Ok, the linked article is from this year. Was there any coverage in 2016?

1 Like

The stimulus was an example of hope and change. We prevented the Great Recession from becoming a much bigger catastrophe.

5 Likes

Hillary did work on a health care plan in 1993, and it was an utter disaster.

For all the shortcomings of the ACA, Obama achieved something that Democratic presidents since Truman had been trying and failing to do.

2 Likes

There’s a million factors in all of this - but ultimately it comes down to “Just Win”
… past records are nice or can be mocked - but when it comes to the big game - just find a way to win in the final minutes - hell…catch the ball trapped against your helmet! - score more points and your name is on the trophy forever.

… as far as the past losses - some were “losses” to the ‘anointed one’ and in those contests - there were other even stronger candidates than Biden that could not get traction either …
plus Biden was “That guy from ‘3 Electoral Votes’ - Delaware”
… but now he is former two term Vice President Biden …

The Key will be - if he gets the nomination - can he stay on offense - can he stay sharp (gaffes aside) can he sustain an image of vitality - can he avoid becoming a stiff?

right now one of the things that works for him is a general perception that he is remarkably fit - that despite chronological age - if you put him, Trump, Sanders, and Warren in running shoes and on a track and said - "run a mile - winner becomes President " … we’d have President Biden and VP Warren … a round of applause for Sanders for finishing … and memorial services for Trump who would have stroked out on the second lap.

If Biden gets the nod - he will need to capitalize on this perspective (and he better be able to back it up) run Trump into the ground -

1 Like

Yes, it helped. What really prevented things from going to hell was the excess of over 15 trillion the fed pumped into the banking and finance sector.

The stimulus package was helpful. About half of it was in the form of a payroll tax cut to working Americans. Unfortunately, most were not even aware of it.

Added:
The stimulus also helped to save our auto industry and his program to get gas guzzlers off the road was a plus. I don’t hate Obama. I have no problem giving him credit where it’s due.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. Just searched and the results seem to be around the same time.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available