Biden Laughs Off Campaign Trail Gaffes | Talking Points Memo

Former Vice President Joe Biden wants to laugh about his recent campaign trail gaffes too.

During an appearance on “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” Wednesday night, Biden first poked fun at his tendency to misspeak on the campaign trail by intentionally misidentifying Colbert as late-night show rival Jimmy Kimmel.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1246521

Good for him!. Way too much has been made of this stuff.

21 Likes

He’s proving pretty hard to dehumanize, demonize and turn into a cartoon caricature.

Not that we won’t be treated to people continuing to try. Let the derp commence…

18 Likes

Yeah, but does Joe look good in a “stache?”

21 Likes

" Biden Laughs Off His Own Campaign Trail Gaffes"

then changed to

“Biden Wants To Laugh About His Own Campaign Trail Gaffes Too”

Having trouble fighting down your derision to write a neutral headline?

I mean “wants to”? First, he did laugh about it. Second, he laughed AT himself for it. Third, there’s no reason he shouldn’t want to laugh about it and no reason we shouldn’t either. Fourth, everyone with a stick up their but should go line up at Jeff Dunham’s house to try out for the Jalepeno’s replacement.

11 Likes

This is actually a pretty smart move on his part, and it works, given the audience reaction. I personally would prefer a younger and frankly more progressive candidate, one without the baggage that comes from anyone who has been in public office as long as Biden. Warren is the candidate who most impresses me.

But I have family myself who will vote for Biden, and who sadly and irritatingly will probably vote for Trump again if anyone else but Biden gets the nomination. That is the world we live in.

Biden on his worst day is ten times better than Trump on his least horrible one (Trump has no good days that I’ve observed so I won’t even go there). And I will fully support him if he prevails in the primary.

12 Likes

I realize that focusing on his gaffes, while ignoring Trump’s lies, gaffes, ignorance, etc… is a false equivalency. But, Biden really needs to take this more seriously. I don’t think he should apologize, but I also don’t think he should be so flippant.

Whoever emerges as the Democratic nominee is going to face a world of hurt from the Republican noise machine and a complicit, gossipy media that likes generating fake controversies for click-bait. And Biden’s biggest perceived weakness is his age. (And, no I haven’t forgotten about Trump, Warren, or Sanders). He’s coming off as an older person losing his faculties and refusing to come to grips with it. I have no idea what’s going on with him, but this is the perception and it’s going to dog him.

4 Likes

“I was not talking about me, I was praising … the valor of all these people out there that I visited in over 20 visits in Afghanistan and Iraq,” Biden said.

That´s the thing that bugs me about Biden: Even when he´s talking about, say the deaths in his family, I sense a whiff of utility in the telling of the story. I realize that retail politics is always a bit of theater, and it may well be necessary, but I cringe when I hear him get personal.

3 Likes

Let’s see how the Biden apologists laugh this one off.

When Did Joe Biden Start Believing He Had Opposed the Iraq War?

As NPR notes, Biden nonetheless gave a speech in July 2003 in which he said he had made the right choice to vote for the October 2002 AUMF and that he “would vote that way again today” if given the chance—remarks that undermine his current claim that he’d known at the moment of invasion that Bush had hoodwinked him by promising that he wouldn’t ever actually go to war (which, again, is an implausible claim).

Underlying all of that is the absurdity, when two of the premises of your presidential campaign are that you have good foreign policy judgment and that you are an expert at working with Republicans in bipartisan good faith, of telling a story about how you made a disastrous foreign policy decision because a Republican took advantage of your naïve belief that he was working in bipartisan good faith.

7 Likes

I think the whole Russia thing is overblown. But that image is a hoot, and it delights me to imagine Mitch´s reaction were he to see it. :grinning:

2 Likes

The hole you’ve dug for yourselves:

2 Likes

I had to take a second hard look to make sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me.

This is a scream…!

2 Likes

He’s proving pretty hard to dehumanize, demonize and turn into a cartoon caricature.

I hope you’re not wearing your ‘I’m with Joe’ tee shirt in court. Just sayin’.

1 Like

While I think that he needs to take his gaffes seriously behind the scenes, by for example listening to his staff when they tell him not to use unrepentent segregationist in his example of being willing to work accross the aisle, in terms of after the fact damage control I think this approach works. Showing a willingness to be self depreciating and to laugh at ones mistakes provides a decent contrast to Trump’s narcissistic doubling down and plays to the whole lovable goofy Uncle Joe thing that is part of his appeal with his supporters.

9 Likes

At least one thing that Joe will never be accused of: “taking all the oxygen from the room.”

8 Likes

That’s exactly the problem. When you’re running as someone who would make history as the oldest person ever to become President, you simply can’t afford to be this loose with your mouth. Regardless of whether it’s been his practice in the past.

Nobody is going to laugh off his misspoken statements if he makes it to the general election, and if he does this in the debates. He needs to take this more seriously.

1 Like

I was being a little sarcastic in that I wasn’t actually expecting the Biden supporters to laugh off his support for the Iraq war and his current lies about it. Guess I underestimated you.

4 Likes

Not Joe, but Moscow Mitch, Hero of Mother Russia. He makes that “stache” look good.

2 Likes

If Joe commits a gaffe it isn’t a sign of increasing senility. He has been a gaffe machine since he was a baby politician.

11 Likes

It’s OK to dismiss gaffes like this with the kind of explanation he makes as to the bigger story he’s telling of others’ heroism and patriotism. But, he can’t be seen as being dismissive of mistakes he’s made (we’ve all made them … except, of course, Trump). He needs to explain them and show he’s learned from them and won’t make the same ones again. Then, pivot right to policy and what he’s going to do for the people of this country and for the country itself, and for our reputation and standing in the world.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available