Biden Laughs Off Campaign Trail Gaffes | Talking Points Memo

You are 100% correct.

2 Likes

Well played.

1 Like

It’ll be the usual suspects here in TPM too.

4 Likes

3 Likes

American corporate media, ever hungry for ratings and advertising dollars, loves to present the Dems dramatically further left than the majority have always been. I’ve been voting since 1978 and the centrist Dem wins the nomination every time. That is not necessarily a good thing. But it is something to be aware of. Yes we have wonderful younger people ready to vote in their favorite. I’m not an expert and I have no way to gauge if those demographics are good for them-consider the baby boomers of the 60’s, there were so many millions more of them. I haven’t chosen a candidate but I will certainly vote for the Democratic nominee. Maybe Fat Nixon and his death clown car of willing idiots will blow all this old news out of the water, and bring more Democratic votes out than ever-but I worry it’s another media blitz.
Btw for another side of Mr. Biden see Josh’s 2014 interview with him on foreign policy. In that arena, Joe can wipe the floor with The Donald.

2 Likes

it is the “pivot” part that I worry about. Joe doesn’t seem to have any place he wants to land except the Oval Office.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this is what you are getting at, but 2020 will be the first election where Millennials outnumber Boomers in terms of percentage of eligible voters. The two groups were basically even in, I believe, the last two elections.

Not a particularly impressive response to somebody pointing out Joe’s support of W during the Iraq War.

Reminds me of Twitter or Kos: when somebody is falling behind on facts, they start posting pictures instead.

2 Likes

He needs to drop out now. He’s just a distraction and no longer representative of where the Democratic Party is heading.

3 Likes

Someday someone will make a plausible case for this characterization that, being plausible, doesn’t in the end rely pretty much solely on that one famous quote we all know and love. HA HA HA I love to kid around nobody will ever make that plausible case.

1 Like

But he’s still the front runner.

2 Likes

I like Biden, but if he was any good at running for president he wouldn’t still be doing it 35 years later. Please step aside.

4 Likes

In 2008, Clinton was the “centrist Dem”. Obama was to her left and not only won the nomination but the Presidency. He campaigned on “Change”.

In 2000, 2004, and 2016, the centrists beat back the liberal contenders and then proceeded to lose the general elections to idiot Republicans. The “promise nothing and make sure you don’t offend conservatives” strategy appears to be doing horribly this century.

Guys like FDR, Truman, JFK, and LBJ were all well to the left of where the centrists tell us the “center” of America is. They all won elections, and FDR and LBJ did so by large margins while pushing leftist agendas.

Centrists have what is known in science as an unfalsifiable theory. They ignore evidence because the theory is more important. It’s the cudgel they use to beat down the Left, even when the party is falling apart.

6 Likes

Yep, I thought I heard a lot of appreciative laughter with Biden from Colbert and the audience, as well. TPM has turned over its news columns to the “Hate Joe Now” crowd. I’m still mystified about why they did it.

5 Likes

I’m not laughing off anything other than your obsessive-compulsive behavior.

4 Likes

He’s been making the same kind of “mistakes” for over 30 years. This is who he is. Except now he’s nearing 80 and the mental sharpness is eroding.

He’s the least talented of his generation of national Democrats. He lost to Mike Dukakis! The Clintons, Gore, Kerry, and even young Obama (who isn’'t in the same generational cohort) all had no problem winning the nomination ahead of him.

Watching him campaign is like watching the #5 guy on the Red Sox staff go against the Yankees - when the top two starters are on the DL. You know it’s gonna go badly. It’s just a matter of how and when, and we’re reduced to hoping the Yankees’ starter is awful, too.

9 Likes

Exactly, of course this is just the kind of thing a bully like Donald would focus on and make use of during a campaign. Repeating over and over again every little thing Joe messed up until its seared into the country’s collective consciousness that Biden is a gaffe prone senile joker. Maybe people will want to vote for the caricature Donald and his crew paint, lets hope that there are enough of them, because 4 more years of Donald will not be a laughing matter.

Oh, come on. That vote was just a gaffe.

Underlying all of that is the absurdity, when two of the premises of your presidential campaign are that you have good foreign policy judgment and that you are an expert at working with Republicans in bipartisan good faith, of telling a story about how you made a disastrous foreign policy decision because a Republican took advantage of your naïve belief that he was working in bipartisan good faith.

Picky, picky, picky.

There aren’t laughing them off now. Even his supporters aren’t laughing…they are angry that people keep pointing them out. Which is a defensive mechanism on their part.

Biden is going to continue to make “gaffes” (and I hate that description, because much of what he says are not misstatements…he means them, but misreads context and the “room”), and his campaign is going to continue to defend them, leaving less time to advance any sort of agenda or frame his campaign in a positive, forward moving, light.

People can whine that they are only having to defend him because he is being erroneously attacked all they like, but it is what it is. And its not going to stop.

Ironically, this IS him taking it seriously. His campaign has decided to go with this strategy…“Look its just Joe…it doesn’t mean anything important”. That is the message he is saying here, and its the message his campaign has been trying to float for the past couple of weeks. But make no mistake…they are concerned enough to have started this strategy.

5 Likes

Well, it is interesting to me, because one of his saving graces for me compared to HRC is that he had he had, fairly early on, apologized for his vote for the AUMF. Now, he´s apparently convinced himself that he never really voted for the war at all. Bizarre he should bring it up, considering it´s presumably less of an issue than it was four years ago.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available