Biden Laughs Off Campaign Trail Gaffes | Talking Points Memo

The DAILY WIRE!?

I wouldn´t use serial liar Ben Shapiro´s rag as a source, ever.

1 Like

Just grabbed the first one appeared on my screen. Here’s another from a reliable source.

1 Like

No, not “Biden or Bust.” But no one else has the name recognition.

It’s definitely not like HRC. She had decades of demonization to carry.

I frankly can’t imagine a “Biden or Bust” contingent. But that cuts both ways. You can develop strong feelings for or against some of the other candidates (Warren, for instance), but Biden? He’s the embodiment of “Centrist.”

Thanks.

Don´t want give BS (Ben Shapiro) any unnecessary clicks.

1 Like

Yes. Like most of us do. Move on media. I know Trump is good copy for you but Joe will supply a few - less dangerous - laughs once in the WH.

That’s a bad thing?

Interesting. Of course, Frank´s a huge asshole for voting for Trump, but I think he was essentially right when he said this:

We never would have not gone to Michigan as the campaign decided not to do because they felt entitled to the votes of those people. Assumptive politics is losing politics. You have to work for every single vote and people have to know individually, collectively and severally that you care about them, that they’re important," Frank Biden explained.

That, IMHO, is why HRC lost.

1 Like

My folks preferred Eugene McCarthy over JFK.:wink:

It’s funny 'til it’s not funny.

1 Like

I do agree that we can’t take votes for granted. But I wonder whether rethugs “worked for the votes”. Seems to me many people just voted AGAINST HRC, not FOR ttump. There’re some double standards for the two parties.

3 Likes

Let’s assume he was telling the truth, but try to read what he actually said, according to the article. He was referring to the Finnegans, not the Bidens. The Finnegans, according to the article, are Biden’s relatives on his mother’s side— how distant he didn’t say. He didn’t even say that all the Finnegans voted for Trump. Rather, he said “those Finnegans who” voted for Trump had felt slighted by Hillary. OK, we all have family. And politics is a family business. But it appears that all the Bidens, as we know the family, voted for Hillary. Not that I think this is an earthshaking finding. Except maybe here at TPM for the charter members of the “Hate Joe Now” club.

2 Likes

I think if you read upthread the original point is if there’re people who are “Biden or bust”, and I think some ttump voters like the Finnegans are among them. Just an example here.

1 Like

Centrists are by nature uninspiring. The question for me is how would he galvanize possible Dem voters? What kind of coat tails would he have?

I dream of a wave election from the Pres down to local school boards. Would Biden lead that?

For all his myriad faults, Trump was a ¨good¨ retail politician (i.e., his rallies).

2 Likes

You mean demagogue, right?

5 Likes

I worry a little about Warren, but I get the impression Harris could handle anything the R’s throw at her, based on her performance in Senate hearings.

I just wish she was polling better and I’m not sure why she isn’t. Maybe it’s a combination of being female, non-white, and too closely allied with the criminal justice establishment. The latter may be the most important factor. It would help her with moderates and Independents in the general election, but it’s not a traditional Democratic candidate strength in the primary. Especially in today’s environment.

4 Likes

Yes, the payroll tax cut was probably small enough to go “under the radar” for many people, but some have stated that this helped make it successful: if it were bigger, people might have used it to pay off debt or put into savings. Instead, they just spent the extra $30 or $40 they got in their paycheck.

Yes, the Fed played their part. I didn’t know it was over $15 trillion. But even their heroic measures, or the $800 TARP plan wasn’t enough to stem rising unemployment, which topped 10 percent ten years ago.

I know many have criticized the stimulus as being too small, but don’t forget President Obama was under some constraints, coming right after Bush’s massive deficits and the TARP, as to its size. But too many on both sides of the aisle fail to recognize its role in leading a turnaround:

As part of this massive effort, we committed $90 billion into clean energy – an unprecedented amount of funding into wind, solar, and other renewables – energy efficiency in every form; advanced biofuels; and electric vehicles, of which there are now more than one million on America’s roadways.

The stimulus produced the world’s largest wind farm, a half dozen of the world’s largest solar arrays, and America’s first refineries for advanced biofuels. It created a battery-manufacturing industry for electric vehicles almost entirely from scratch. It jump-started three long-awaited mega-projects in Manhattan alone – the Moynihan Station, the Second Avenue Subway, and the Long Island Railroad connection to the East Side.

And it would have jump-started a multibillion-dollar rail tunnel to New Jersey and a high-speed rail system in Florida as well if Republican Governors Chris Christie and Rick Scott hadn’t killed those projects, and it would have pumped billions into modernizing and rebuilding aging public schools if not for the adamant objections of Republican Senator Susan Collins, a crucial vote for the stimulus bill.

Also thanks to the stimulus, we built power lines, water treatment plants, sewage plants and fire stations; we weatherized government buildings, refurbished parks, libraries, aging pipe systems and train stations; made 22,000 miles of roadway improvements, brought water to Central California farms and plumbing to rural Alaska villages, and committed $7 billion to bringing broadband internet service to underserved areas – a modern version of FDR’s rural electrification project.

Other components of the stimulus made crucial investments in health care – $27 billion to computerize our antiquated paper-and-ink based medical records system – as well as in transportation, medical and scientific research and the safety net, in addition to addressing the immediate needs of the cratering economy.

And despite the controversy over the historic size of the stimulus package, the Obama administration met every spending deadline, and it kept costs so far under budget that it was able to finance over 3,000 additional projects with the savings.

4 Likes

Hillary did work on a health care plan in 1993, and it was an utter disaster.

The one good thing that came out of that fight is that insurers had to cover people with pre-existing conditions as exculsions on their policies after 1 year Not a grand achievement but it helped save my life.
As someone with a chronic genetic illness I can tell you that the passage of the ACA was a monumental step, warts and all. The power of the health insurance industry is unbelievable. The rules written into the ACA-that people can’t be redlined for pre-existing conditions-is monumental given what they were up against. The ACA was never given room to expand. It may have failed, but I will always be grateful it happened because I might not be here without it.

2 Likes

I’m going with likeability.
She’s a prosecutor, not a retail politician.
added:
Obama was a natural, He had the smile, warmth and the whole package.
She has a hard time making people like her. Her smile most often seems forced and not genuine. Maybe it’s just me looking to closely.

1 Like

To this day, I´m so conflicted about the ACA. On one hand, it didn´t do enough to contain costs or expand coverage. OTOH, it did really expand coverage, and one of the provisions at least - mandatory coverage for mental health - saved our family from misery.

As a compromise, I just put all the blame on Rahm Emmanuel. :wink:

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available