What To Make Of The Supreme Court Taking Trump’s Immunity Case?

I know, I know. Now look what you’ve done. I’m going to be on an internal rant against privilege and impunity for the rest of the day.

What the standard deduction wasn’t enough. It’s so much bigger now.

Sorry, it was always obvious to me who got the tax “cut” and who would need to make up the shortfall.

6 Likes

Calling balls and strikes takes no time at all when a real clock is ticking.
Doing the slow roll is a deliberate strategy.
Occam’s Razor tells us that the SC wants a re-election of their Cult Leader.
How else, also, to explain Thomas’ refusal to recusal?

27 Likes

What To Make Of The Supreme Court Taking Trump’s Immunity Case?

It’s no mystery. He walks. On all of it. And by “walks” I mean he never spends a day in a State or Federal penitentiary. Short of jail time he has escaped accountability, for all of it.

11 Likes

“If I were trying to do such a thing, I likewise would be attempting to do it in a way that obscured my motive and made it seem like a function of procedural necessities.”

Sorry David, but that’s exactly what they are doing. Bush v Gore was decided in THREE DAYS! They know what’s at stake, they’re not stupid: they’re corrupt, but not stupid.

48 Likes

I was reflecting this morning on how we got this way – I mean, the planet has been full of grifters and back-stabbers since we crawled out of the slime (and some are still crawling). And there have always been the wealthy who have wanted things their way, even in the postwar era: I doubt Justin Dart and the Orange County GOP who helped Nixon and Reagan rise were thinking of an America that was equal for all. (Rick Perlstein nails it.)

No, what’s changed, or appeared to change, is shame. Whether it’s money or social media mainstreaming outrage or the sheer noise we’re surrounded with, shamelessness has become the coin of the realm. It’s ironic in some ways – psychologists will tell you that deeply buried shame will come out as anger and viciousness, and there’s certainly plenty of THAT – but if you can get away with not caring because of money or power, then you stop caring. Who cares about “public” service? It’s all about me.

My hypothesis, anyway.

22 Likes

Proclaiming to the whole world that he has a very tiny twinkee.

9 Likes

If any of these people had any moral backbone they would have refused the nomination, particularly Barrett.

Not an ounce of moral rectitude between them. Great impersonators though.

16 Likes

The problem with Donnie just dropping dead, is the conspiracy theories and the immediate calls to avenge.
Donnie needs to be told no. Needs to sit his wide load ass down somewhere, either in a some sort of lock up, or house arrest. (this will have to entail some sort of gag order, or limited access to media)

The only acceptable version of dropping dead would be a lethal version of this movie scene:

11 Likes

Right. Funny how in 2000 the court broke speed records to hear Bush v. Gore and rapidly reverse the decision of voters. In the present case, not so much.

51 Likes

Look at the posture. Without context I’d be worried he’s going to attack the woman in front of him. Arms out, head forward. That’s not walking that’s getting ready to charge.

6 Likes

15 Likes

I never for one single moment doubted the Suoreme Court would run a serpentine opinion allowing Trump exactly what he needs to stay in business as his true hero Their dream man come true . He will keep on the lowest possible tier all the Citizens they distain Those of us who despair of all that is happening Start running lol You may be in the list Women are already sentenced by law to death ! The farmers with just pitchforks fought the British on Bunker Hill today a cult of mostly uneducated voters got us! I have no answers it appears the Democrats have been outfoxed by the guys with the $$$$$$$$$

6 Likes

OT Happy Leap Day! Among other celebrations locally:
FROG ORIGAMI AT THE BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY Celebrate Leap Day with leaping-themed origami. The Brighton branch of the Boston Public Library hosts an arts and crafts workshop, where kids ages 4-12 can create frog puppets and origami :frog:

22 Likes

Well the number of people without shame certainly has increased.

13 Likes

He may not last that long. I saw a brief clip of his announcement this morning while I was making coffee. He’s lost weight and doesn’t sound or look well.

There are reports that the suddenness of this announcement surprised even his own team, which could mean it was forced by a medical issue and he needs to get the process of selecting a new leader going ASAP. So the Devil might soon call in his contract with McConnell. He’s not long for this world.

32 Likes

We know which five voted for the stay–Slappy T, Don Alito, The Handmaiden, Son of Gorsuch and The Kegmaster. They are the same 5 who I fear who will say that Trump is above the law and just like in Bush V Gore they will rule that immunity only applies to him and it sure doesn’t apply to Biden.

22 Likes

Trump will get another bite at the apple next month before state Attorney General Letitia James is expected to begin trying to collect on the judgment.

Next month starts tomorrow.

20 Likes

Baiting Deer is illegal in most states because it’s cruel.

This is the exact same thing.

While I know Joe will be better than Trump, bud if we are to be sending any more weapons to Israel he deserves to lose for moral cowardice.

I hope he doesn’t lose, but he will deserve it if things don’t drastically change.

10 Likes

73 Likes

Thank you for the run down on their background. I forget those details and they buttress my point, they know completely, utterly and absolutely what is at stake, and see Trump’s goals as aligning with theirs.

My tentative conclusion is that their project of a Unitary Executive (AKA autocracy, Heritage Foundation style) is at a cusp, and they are pushing hard for it. We’ll see.

Look here, notice the image and read: https://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/commentary/founders-wanted-powerful-president

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available