What To Make Of The Supreme Court Taking Trump’s Immunity Case?

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482048
2 Likes

131 Likes

Please watch Lawrence O’Donnell’s comment, and feel better (dailykos.com)

Just watch, Lawerence starts around 4 min mark, but the whole thing is worth watching

56 Likes

Dems in disarray

37 Likes

I spy SCOTUS nonsense . . .

92 Likes

There is only one thing to do: vote him out and lock him up. Two things to do;
1 - vote him out
2 - lock him up
3 - nothing! there is no third thing (unless we torture him and obtain a signed confession)

41 Likes

They have their reward.

61 Likes

Among the reasons I feel nauseous about politics this year is the inevitable tributes that will pour in when Moscow Mitch, the most destructive and divisive son-of-a-bitch in modern American politics, finally leaves the scene.

Good riddance to one singularly odious POS.

102 Likes

What To Make Of The Supreme Court Taking Trump’s Immunity Case?

When the outside world gets too freaky, I need a dose of Johnny.

37 Likes

Is the six-justice conservative majority on the Supreme Court engaged in slow-rolling the prosecution of Donald Trump as partisan and ideological exercise in protecting one of their own?

All six ? … probably not … but probably at least 3
(1.) Clarence Thomas - definitely… let’s be clear - CLARENCE THOMAS IS ON THE TAKE - HE IS BOUGHT & PAID FOR. The tabulation of what is out in the public domain is a grotesque level of payoffs…Senator Menendez levels of bribery.
(2.) Sam Alito - has gone so zealot that one can question his stability.
(3.) Toss-up … Barrett seems to have obligations in the realm of " some day I am going to come to you and ask for a favor … and you will deliver for me"

34 Likes

A very strange thought hit me when I read this MM section.

The IVF Ruling Is About Who Gets To Raise Your Children

Particularly this section:

Our imaginations must expand to see this as of a piece with an older and more pernicious American tradition

Several pernicious American traditions come to mind, but all of them assume ascendency of one specific group over another. Functionally, I think you can make the argument that all of these decisions remove self autonomy from “others.” To some extent they make everyone, but specifically women, unfree.

58 Likes

The system is corrupt. It pains me greatly to say that but the system, the whole system, is unable to do the simple things. Accountability? There is none. Checks and balances? Don’t make me laugh. We’re in a tight spot folks. We’ve been sold a bill of goods. Nobody’s got our backs.

50 Likes

The easy way to get the immunity ruling, which to my understanding would affect ALL presidents, would be for Biden to do something to get indicted then make the same claim as Trump. Those Trump judges would then be in a quandary. How would Trump want them to respond?

19 Likes

That’s the end of the world in the background.

14 Likes

I think with the Supreme Court, as with other institutions, they think that Trump is just a means to an end – that eventually he’ll die, but the awful laws they put on the books will be there to stay.

They’re not wrong – he will die, presumably. (I’m reminded of a joke in the wonderful satire “The '80s: A Look Back” that posited that Brezhnev had been a dummy filled with straw for the last years of his premiership.) But the damage the orange guy can do in a short time, abetted by people much smarter than him (a low bar, I know), will steamroll anything the institutions put in place. It will be all about dictatorship, whatever they want to call it.

28 Likes

Well, buckle up for the long term, because he is staying in the Senate through the end of 2026; we won’t actually be rid of him for a while.

18 Likes

The immunity case is simple and direct corruption. There is really no need to wonder, they fully comprehend what is at stake in this. The conservatives on SCOTUS have proven themselves political animals, in fact mostly political animals, so my rhetorical question would be, how would they not know?

And what we can conclude from the fact they have certainly, absolutely have knowledge of what they are doing, well that is pretty scary. Their end game must align with Trump’s end game almost fully, or they just would not go there.

I suggest we fully face this, no matter how scary.

50 Likes

Today feels like the day after Bill Barr squashed the Mueller Report.

73 Likes

3 - Remove his servants from Congress.
Three things to do, Cardinal Biggles!

23 Likes

“I still can’t let myself entertain a scenario in which the Supreme Court finds the president immune from prosecution for the things that Trump did.”

Well, I sure as hell can. After all, SCOTUS overturned a presidential election in 2000, and in the succeeding two decades has only gotten worse. You cannot evaluate the court’s actions today without reference to the monumental fraud it committed on voters 24 years ago.

This business, which one reads all over the media, that our institutions are inherently slow to grasp the danger of Trump, is excuse-making. Right now any sentient being knows what Trump represents; the reason the institutions are slow to act is because over the last couple of decades they’ve been infiltrated by people who are inherently against democracy itself, and use foot-dragging as one of their tactics to slowly strangle our constitutional system.

58 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available