What To Make Of The Supreme Court Taking Trump’s Immunity Case?

i iz in ur SCROTUS…disstroyin ur demoKKKrassee

10 Likes

Obviously you have to write the decision in such a way that only TDFG’s actions fall within the scope of presidential duties while simultaneously meriting immunity due to their impact on the ability of the country to move forward.

25 Likes

I’d ask how you can pay less than $0 in taxes, but in this glorious tax season it’s probably better I don’t know.

14 Likes

I find the juxtaposition of this

and this

telling. Even among jaundiced ex-lawyers like David Kurtz (for whom I have great respect), the scales have still not fallen from their eyes.

It is increasingly obvious that at least four members of the US Supreme Court want to at least delay the Trump trial past the election, putting their thumbs on the scales to get a Republican POTUS elected. Rather than guessing who they are (Thomas and Alito are obvious), it’s more fruitful to wonder who among the majority are not on board with this? Is Roberts still deluded enough to think this corrupt, dishonest, anti-democratic court has a reputation in history to protect? Who might the other holdout be, the guy who wants to finish his mother’s job of killing the EPA or the alcoholic rapist with the baseball tickets?

41 Likes

I think yesterday broke a few brains. Wretched day.

55 Likes

I know how you feel, but I am not sure this is true. For one thing, the voters could stop Trump. For another, the courts are slow even when they are working. It is not unusual for a case to take years to be resolved. Needless to say, I wish Trump would just drop dead.

26 Likes

I wonder. Even the MSM will likely note that he cemented the GOP as the craven, obstructionist party it is today, only to have it hijacked by a better con man.

and then there’s this:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 093638

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, Mitch.

37 Likes

David, what do you make of the Supreme Court’s framing of the issue to be addressed by the parties — something along the lines of is the Presidency immune from criminal prosecution for alleged official acts? Seems Trump-favorable although I assume Jack Smith will push back against that. But does it not represent an effort by at least some on the Court to open the matter up to additional fact-finding re the acts themselves?

15 Likes

Does it take 4? I am not sure. One thing about it, if this actually gets to court the guilty verdict Trump would recieve would be hard to win on appeal. After all, he got every chance a person could get.

5 Likes

…until the next guy

12 Likes

Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Coney Barrett were all lawyers involved in the Brooks Brothers riot that resulted in the installation of Dubya to the presidency. Additionally, Kavanaugh was on the Starr team for the Clinton impeachment and the Whitewater fiasco, as well as working for DOJ during the purge of the DAs under Dubya. So, yeah, highly political and definitely biased.

74 Likes

People don’t understand how deep the religious effort to take over the government goes. Evangelicals have been placing their people in government at all levels, from the polls to the IRS to the DOJ, military and the rest.

This is a cult that uses cult tactics to recruit, then hangs the whole money making enterprise on the hook of Jesus, who was opposed to the elevation of wealth as a moral exemplar.

Didn’t survive the Great Christian Rewrite that plumbed the depths of the Old Testament ever since to fill tents at the weekends with bloodthirsty tales and allowed slavery and any other money making scheme. Now Big Oil gets the free pass.

These people need to go. They are not only the slavery justifiers, but those that filled the minds of the Confederacy with their duty to God. None of them should have survived the Civil War. But here they are pulling for another one, and breaking our tax laws every Sunday while filling their pockets.

43 Likes

Refunds/rebates.

10 Likes

You said nicely what I was going to say profanely. How, at this point, anyone could imagine that this court is just acting normally and does not see a need to truly expedite these historically significant and possibly existential findings, is truly just beyond me. I too love David Kurtz, but I have lost all - and I do mean all - faith in the SCOTUS to decide anything impartially and without ulterior motive.

33 Likes

With its decision deeming frozen embryos to be children under state law, that all-Republican court has done the impossible. It has awakened the American public, finally, to the peril of the theocratic future toward which the country has been hurtling.

I spent time the other day explaining to a young christian man just what IVF has to do with abortion. He didn’t get it. It didn’t fit in with what his evangelical leaders told him.

27 Likes

This is what one calls “murder most foul”
Or crime against humanity
This is via cnn…
And it is sickening…

• At least 104 people have been killed and hundreds injured in Gaza after Israeli forces opened fire as they were waiting for food, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza. The Israel Defense Forces said “the incident is under review.”
  • This comes as more than 30,000 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel’s war with Hamas began in October, the health ministry in the besieged enclave said Thursday.
    … … … …
    Aid trucks were swarmed by desperate people. The IDF began shooting them from tanks and drones causing panic which resulted in aid vehicles running over people…
    As I said… sickening. This is on Israel and Netanyahu
46 Likes

Easy, peasy - refunds of prior years and credits against future years are the simple ones, there’s other more convoluted aspects as well. Taxes are for the little people, e.g., those who can’t afford a deep bench of tax lawyers.

8 Likes

Gotta be careful, those Bud Light drinkers and Swifties can be vicious

44 Likes

If Biden wins, no immunity.

If dump wins, Of course theres immunity.

It’s that simple.

27 Likes

Moscow Mitch’s real legacy will last for years and that’s the total corruption of the judicial branch due to his packing it with every incompetent asshole from the fascist “Federalist Society” that he could get his hands on.

51 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available