WaPo: 2 Arrested For Assault Of Capitol Police Officer Who Later Died After Jan. 6 Attack | Talking Points Memo

Quote probably, but mayhem alone doesn’t establish malice aforethought or causation.

2 Likes

Are you throwing shade on the Berenstain Bears?
Momma and Poppa Bear where just trying get Brother out of the rowdy crowd he fell into. And it’s all because of

6 Likes

A great many of the deaths at the hands of police I see on film, or read about, tell of people that are detained putting up a violent struggle, or otherwise being combative and/or uncooperative to the point they’re practically screaming “Bring it on, copper, you better leave me alone or there’s going to be trouble!” If I recall police were simply trying to put George Floyd in the back of a cruiser when he became combative, and it all went downhill from there. Yes, being white I can’t really imagine the bullshit all authority figures pull on black people. A lot of it is criminal. But if a cop stops me and says get out of your car, and sit in the back of my cruiser, that’s what the hell I’m going to do. And if he puts his hands on me to guide me to that backseat and I wheel around and start arguing and swearing and struggling, well, I guess maybe I sorta asked for whatever trouble follows.

1 Like

So here’s a IANAL question: The perps were obviously intending to harm and incapacitate the police officer, even if they didn’t think the bear spray would kill him. That sure sounds like “malice aforethought” to me. Is that enough to hang a murder charge on? Or does it require something stronger like “intent to kill?”

7 Likes

Any lawyer who can’t get a FMR conviction for killers of a cop -during an insurrection intended to terrorize the congress to change election results, that was broadcast live- should get a new job.

3 Likes

Is it not still the law that it adds to the sentence in Texas if you murder someone during the commission of a felony? It was in the 80s and 90s.

7 Likes

But but they were hunting for bears …

This is not true in many cases.

4 Likes

This story is a story. When singular becomes more and more and more part of a plural comprising of hundreds of people, then you have something to worry about.

We’re already very much past that point.

Nobody is in the least bit surprised at the appearance of this story…nor at the Houdini-esque contortions of the guilty…

Ain’t that right, Josh?

2 Likes

Trumpanzie Logic states…

He died in service of the larger goal of taking back the country from those who “hate America”, or something like that.

2 Likes

The suicides are related, obviously, but they didn’t occur during the commission of a crime. The others who died, one of which was caught on camera, were insurrectionists and in some cases it may be impossible to determine who participated in their deaths. Somebody beat Sicknick over the head with a fire extinguisher or something else. I’m assuming the bear spray was used to stun/distract him and wasn’t the direct cause of death, but would be akin to pulling a hood over someone’s head so they couldn’t see while another person beat them to death.

9 Likes

You’re leaving out the part where the police got him out of the cruiser, sat him down on the sidewalk, he was still in handcuffs, and the first officers were talking to him calmly. I’m not sure when Chauvin showed up, but that’s when the shit hit the fan.

11 Likes

I’m not diving into the details of federal and DC case law defining “malice aforethought,” but the term generically means (1) intent to kill, (2) intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, (3) reckless indifference to human life, or (4) intent to commit a felony. There is zero basis to think they intended to kill, inflict grievous bodily harm, or acted with reckless indifference. And maybe pepper-spraying the cops is a felony, but it probably shouldn’t be.

1 Like

“Since 2015, police have fatally shot nearly 250 women.”

Breonna Taylor is just one of them.

I’m disappointed that you posted a falsehood.

7 Likes
1 Like

I don’t know whether it’s a sentencing enhancement, but the Texas Penal Code still retains its codified felony murder rule.

5 Likes

I didn’t think it had been changed.

1 Like

That’s just not true. Spraying an officer with bear spray is reckless at best.

2 Likes

Thank you! I was starting to think I was losing it because I remembered hearing repeatedly that he’d been hit over the head with a fire extinguisher. The only way they’d know that is if Sicknick was able to tell someone before he collapsed, other officers saw him being assaulted, or there is video of the assault. Fire extinguisher is pretty specific, so it had to come from somewhere.

14 Likes

The very first element of the DC involuntary manslaughter law is “the Defendant caused death.” Without the cause of death the best they can do is prove assault.

Yes DC does have involuntary manslaughter and it isn’t just limited to drunk drivers. They simply use a drunk driver case as an example.

2 Likes