WaPo: 2 Arrested For Assault Of Capitol Police Officer Who Later Died After Jan. 6 Attack | Talking Points Memo

Two men have been arrested and charged with assaulting Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who later died following the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1364917
1 Like

Great! We’ve been waiting for this day for a long time now…

30 Likes

Let the trials begin!!!

13 Likes

Even if the cause of death is unknown, these two are participants in a crime that resulted in the death of a law enforcement officer. They should be charged with some form of manslaughter.

49 Likes

There are times when my humanity leaves me. Situations warrant that. This is one of those moments. I’m usually against capital punishment. I’m not even sure if, when convicted, they would get such a sentence but…

13 Likes

If the coroner determines that the bear spray was the cause of death, then they will both be up on murder charges.

14 Likes

Great, now the Office of the Former President will have to issue them a pardon. It can do that. Maria Bartiromo is arranging it now.

20 Likes

Donald Trump is directly responsible for the death of this officer. Believing otherwise is delusion.

51 Likes

Wow, Attorney General Garland is hitting the ground running with supreme justice.

37 Likes

I am definitely not a lawyer but isn’t this a clear case of Felony Murder where intent doesn’t matter if the death happened as a result of an accompanying felony?

26 Likes

I’m not a lawyer either, but I’m guessing that they first have to be charged with a felony. Assaulting an officer fits that bill.

15 Likes

The problem here is that without an official cause of death, there’s no causal link between the assault and the death. That could change.

17 Likes

It might not be easy to get a conviction by jury. The defense will argue that bear spray is essentially no different than the pepper spray the police are allowed to use against civilians, so the perps wouldn’t have assumed it was lethal.

It sucks, I know. Those guys should pay. I’m just saying the prosecution might not want to risk an acquittal, and instead go for the more slam-dunk charge of assault on an officer.

7 Likes

Shouldn’t there be a suit against him for copyright infringement since he’s using the presidential seal on a letterhead without authorization? Obviously he shouldn’t have been allowed to hold the office in the first place.

4 Likes

There doesn’t have to be a causal link. The getaway driver in a bank job is just as guilty of murder as the accomplice who shot at the teller, even if the teller died of a heart attack

14 Likes

And given that he died a day later, a direct link to the bear spray may not even be in the cards.

It’s most certainly odd that, three months later, still no official cause of death.

18 Likes

Throw the book on the freaking antifas that don’t respect law-enforcement.

7 Likes

I’ll put money down they have “blue lives matter” bumper stickers on their trucks.

21 Likes

Do not fret, you proud, patriotic, election-defending American heroes!

Donald Trump and Tucker Carlson will help bail your pasty-white supremacist asses out of jail!

9 Likes

No, the prosecution really does have to establish a causal link. “If not for the assault, this person would not have died.” If the bank robber shoots at the teller and the teller’s car is hit by a truck two days later, and he’s killed, there’s no felony murder.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available