WaPo: 2 Arrested For Assault Of Capitol Police Officer Who Later Died After Jan. 6 Attack | Talking Points Memo

According to the Post, authorities allege that Khater told Tanios “Give me that bear s—” during the siege, and that Khater is seen on video discharging a canister into the faces of Sicknick and two other officers about nine minutes later.

“Even though those thousands of people were marching on the Capitol were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, so I wasn’t concerned.” - Senator Ron Johnson

33 Likes

OK, I buy that scenario. The question regarding cause of death is at the heart of the possible charges.

2 Likes

Indeed, especially with someone that young. I’ve had family members in their 80’s who just sort of ran out of steam. What killed Grandpa? Well, his heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing. But in a younger person, that explanation doesn’t cut it.

8 Likes

TeXtbooK cancEL culture!

9 Likes

Has anyone contacted Ron Johnson for a comment?

8 Likes

The true irony? Sicknick was a Trumper.

23 Likes

Not quite accurate. It is illegal to use bear spray on humans. From a manufacturer’s website…
“Do not use bear pepper spray on dogs or humans. Bear spray is regulated as a pesticide by the EPA and has only been approved for use on bears. It should not be used on any other animals, including humans.”

24 Likes

Both the federal and DC murder statutes require “malice aforethought,” which will be hard to convince 12 people of beyond a reasonable doubt. I would expect manslaughter as a lesser included offense, and that would be a tough one to beat for the defense.

Interestingly, DC makes it first degree murder to kill someone with malice aforethought while committing a number of other acts, including “mayhem.”

17 Likes

I’m sure they were motivated by love for their country, just like Ron Johnson said. It’s like that old ad told us, “Say it with Bear Spray.”

19 Likes

Well, according to the NYT’s the real crime here is that Biden hasn’t had a press conference yet.

28 Likes

The Fast Food Uprising.

Tanios runs a lunch spot in Morgantown, WV, called Sandwich University.

Khater operates a Frutta Bowl in State College, PA, but according to his LinkedIn page, he’s “looking for new and exciting opportunities.”

20 Likes

It would surely send a sorely needed message.

3 Likes

This reflects more poorly on the voters in Wisconsin than on Ron Johnson. Fricking people are the worst. Same assholes that loved Scott Walker.

14 Likes

I like “mayhem.” Has that wonderful “common law crime” air about it.

14 Likes

And yet the remains have been cremated. Surprising if the cause of death is still under investigation.

4 Likes

No, he saw a POC last week, and is still cowering under his desk.

25 Likes

There are bears in the region, so always possible a couple snuck in and the good folks were just trying to save the cops from the bears that were on the terrace.

10 Likes

Yeah, “mayhem” is one of those “know it when I see it” things, and January 6 was definitely mayhem.

15 Likes

The National Zoo, for example.

11 Likes

I’m in the same boat, and would add that public execution would be warranted in this case. Never thought I would be saying that…

4 Likes