Trump Fires Off Calls To ‘LIBERATE’ Michigan, Minnesota And Virginia Amid Protests

“No matter how you crunch the numbers, this pandemic is only just getting started. People are understandably looking for good news. But the truth is, we’re nowhere near controlling coronavirus.”

– Dr. William Hanage, epidemiologist, Harvard

4 Likes

Not too OT: I just got word from my church in CT - we’ve lost our second nursing home resident - the first was definitely to the virus, but they didn’t say too much with the second. I am just guessing at this point.

3 Likes

Handsome and I’ll bet he knows what he’s talking about. The numbers are not going down.
In my glimpses into the world yesterday, I’d say there are people that don’t have a clue. I’m amazed at 7-11 parking lots full of cars with people going in and out like all is normal. 7 young women walking together with dogs, 2 feet apart in a line. Hard to believe they all live in the same house. Others on this trail clearly without a sense of awareness. Yep, it’s going to get worse.
@kelaine What do you think?

5 Likes

The numbers are not going down because the time we all gave him by staying home for a month was wasted just like the two months before that. Thousands died for no good reason and tens of thousands more will follow.

2 Likes

Was just reading where the head of the RNC won’t commit to cancelling or postponing the RNC convention in Charlotte - that they’re going ahead with their plans to have the convention in person.

That should be interesting - let’s bring thousands of people into the city, public be damned, with their variety of vectors.

It’s like this: the governor and the mayor will allow the convention or not. The RNC gets no choice in the matter. If the virus is raging and there’s a public health danger, it ain’t happening.

3 Likes

What do I think?

Yes, I think the epidemiologist from Harvard is very handsome. :blush:

No, I don’t think that the numbers are going down. And if the rural numbnuts keep having protests at their state capitals, they will soon learn this the hard way. There is a protest scheduled Monday for Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

To make it even sadder, I’m sure the PA protesters will also disparage our state’s Secretary of Health, Dr. Rachel Levine, who is transgender. They already do on FB - saying shit like “Why should I take advise about wearing a face mask from a man who wears a bra?”, etc.

5 Likes

Despicable. I don’t do facebook, thank dog.

Thought you might think him handsome.

2 Likes

Welcome to Tea Party 2.0:

3 Likes

Bill came to Harvard from Imperial College, London – which, as you may remember, is well known for its excellent epidemiological work.

It’s amazing how much they learn from other people’s underwear – and how little they learn from anything else.

By the way, Dr. Levine is from Boston and was educated at Harvard (and elsewhere).

@zillacop @kelaine

3 Likes

Funny story (not apropos of current events) -

About 20 years ago, my mother, my young daughter at the time, and I traveled to Boston to visit my niece who just started a Molecular Biology PhD fellowship at MIT. My niece’s apartment was closer to Harvard’s campus than to MIT’s.

Without even knowing Cambridge or either campus, you could tell which campus you were on just by the looks of the people. Everyone at Harvard just looked so handsome and beautiful, and were dressed to the nines. While the students at MIT clearly had much more important things on their mind besides sartorial whimsy…

3 Likes

Everybody here using the word INSURRECTION to describe Chump and his incitements are exactly correct. Twitter, surely, should not be allowing INSURRECTION, right?

according to Mary McCord, a former Acting Assistant Attorney General for National Security at the U.S. Department of Justice, and former Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the National Security Division

and purely unconscionable coming from the FFFing President of the United States (my edit)

the Supreme Court has previously articulated that where such advocacy is “inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action,” it loses its First Amendment protection .

2 Likes

Less true now than even twenty years ago.

Unlike other elite institutions, MIT has enrolled women for a very long time. Its first female student was admitted just after the Civil War, nine years after the Institute was founded.

But because society as a whole discouraged young women from pursuing careers in the sciences and in engineering, not many women even applied for admission.

To say that has changed would be an understatement.

Today, girls comprise nearly half of all kids admitted to MIT.

The remainder of the proof is left as an exercise …

2 Likes

With some people it seems so deeply part of them I have to wonder if it doesn’t do something for them we’ll never quite grasp. To me it just seems stupid and exhausting, an extreme example of laboring under a misconception, but for these folks it must do something for them, because they just don’t want to give it up. I admit it baffles me.

7 Likes

I submit that he was full-on blind decades ago.

5 Likes

This from WaPo. It’s a heart breaker to read some of these.
Readers’ experiences with stimulus checks
](https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/18/waiting-for-stimulus-payments/)

“We checked with the bank, and they said just to wait. We’re just hanging on, paycheck to paycheck. I’m feeling frustrated and angry.”

— Deserie Briseno, 33, Fort Worth

5 Likes

Anyone besides me filled with an extra helping of dread this morning?

5 Likes

To be honest, when hubby told me about the virulent racism and the subsequent in-old-age blindness, the irony wasn’t lost on me.

2 Likes

My niece never looked like an MIT’er.

She has always looked very young. She is often mistaken for an administrative assistant and is asked to fetch coffee, which leads to an awkward conversation that she is actually Dr. ____ who so-and-so is here to visit.

5 Likes

Well … graduate students aren’t real MITers unless they also went to college there!

This is happening to her today … at MIT?

1 Like

No, not at MIT.

Since earning her PhD, she now works elsewhere, but still in Boston.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available