Report: Justices Voted To Overturn Abortion Rights In Draft Opinion

This 5-4 majority opinion brought to you Courtesy of the critical vote of Amy Covid Bigot, Woman.

This isn’t a male/female issue, it’s the control-freak religious right who want to control everyone else’s bodies and life choices.

And it’s both women and men together destroying things. Everytime I drive past the local clinic, the protesters outside are quite equally represented by males and females.

17 Likes

The belief in the existence of a soul is a belief rooted in religion. There is no empirical basis for such a belief. So, if opposition to abortion is rooted in hominization (ensoulment as in modern theistic evolution) then those opposed to abortion are imposing their religious beliefs on those who believe differently. It’s the antithesis of everything America stands for … or used to stand for.

2 Likes

In addition to Afghanistan, we could soon join with the other countries of the world who ban abortion under any circumstances: Andorra, Aruba, Republic of the Congo, Curaçao, Dominican Republic, Egypt, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Iraq, Jamaica, Laos, Madagascar, Malta, Mauritania, Nicaragua, Palau, Philippines, San Marino, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Suriname, Tonga, West Bank, and Gaza.

Once upon a time, we had great expectations for this country. Not so much anymore. We might soon belong to a new club.

I am profoundly disheartened to see what this country is becoming. Fifty years of progress in women’s rights is being thrown away by hateful politicians and their lackey lawyers and supporters.

8 Likes

Really? Murkowski problems are with the right, not with the liberals. As for Collins she is not up for re-election until 2026 and Maine is turning red.

2 Likes

That’s a dead end. The reason people get all worked up and emotional about “killing babies” is that they’re too willfully ignorant about the facts of human biology.

A fetus is not a person. It has that potential, but it’s a clump of cells that gets flushed out of women’s bodies all the time in spontaneous miscarriages and failure to implant. Ignorance of science is the problem, as usual in this country.

3 Likes

Nor me. With the fab five, expected no less.

3 Likes

Most Catholics, like Joe Biden. Tim Kaine, etc. believe it is a personal choice and that government should not have a voice in controlling a woman’s body.

News alert: Catholic women also use birth control despite what the church says

6 Likes
9 Likes

I mention is because I was vilified in the comments for not being automatically opposed to personhood for a fetus (however that was to be defined) in reference to an article about calls for that.

Doesn’t affect my underlying point that gestational slavery is slavery and supposedly we had this 13th amendment thing prohibiting slavery…

I never get into that argument. I DON’T CARE if the fetus is a person. One person doesn’t have the right to hijack the body of another person and use it as an incubator against her will.

2 Likes

I hope Bernie is feeling the Burn.

3 Likes

Is there any evidence that this is the “will of the majority” of the American people? I wholeheartedly doubt it.

2 Likes

Collins will be just shy of 74 at the election in 2026. Maybe she won’t run. OTOH, DiFi is just shy of 89.

1 Like

No, because Jesus.

2 Likes

Not sure I understand what point you’re making? Are you disagreeing with my assertion that gestational slavery is slavery?

Turns out that antiabortion laws were products of the 19th century.

18 Likes

We seriously need some civics education in this country. People need to learn the choice is not between your dream candidate and anybody actully on the ballot – it’s between the people on the goddamn ballot and sometimes it’s your job as a citizen to choose between the lesser of two evils, or even just between two uninspiring MEHs. Vote in every goddamn election at every goddamn level because the winners will control your life.

15 Likes

Agree. She apparently became besotted with the public acclaim she was getting (Notorious RBG etc.). That form of lowbrow celebrity and the entitlement that comes from being on the SC gave her delusions of grandeur and made her think she was above practical politics. Pride goeth before the fall. She proved that she wasn’t as smart as she thought.

6 Likes

Alito listens to his Opus Dei Masters.

3 Likes

Surveys show most Catholics are pro choice. That doesn’t mean they are pro abortion, however. Catholic women may not make the choice of having an abortion themselves (although many do) but that doesn’t translate into them forcing the choices they make on those who might make different choices. Side note: Catholic women use birth control in the same numbers as non Catholic women.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available