READ: Notes From Top DOJ Official On Trump’s Conspiracy To Overturn 2020 Election | Talking Points Memo

Looks like lots of the GOP still are.

6 Likes

Yep…exactly what he was pressuring Zelensky to do about Hunter Biden.

Such a piece of shit.

21 Likes

Congratulations! You beat @mattinpa to today’s The Wire reference.

10 Likes

Facing disbarment, Texas AG Ken Paxton backs away from Trump’s fraud claims (msn.com)

12 Likes

It’s a trident for imthreechment!

4 Likes

His books are excellent…as is his dry wit.

5 Likes

Relevant facts:

Deputy Attorney General Richard Donoghue began this position on December 24th, 2020. Appointed by Trump, in an acting capacity, therefore without a Senate hearing or confirmation.

He replaced Jeffrey Rosen, who Trump had promoted to fill Barr’s vacancy, without a Senate hearing or confirmation.

Barr left the DOJ, his principal reason being that he ultimately wouldn’t flat-out lie about nonexistent voter-fraud.

And this all happened while Trump was waging a campaign against our democracy, to overthrow the government, using nonexistent voter-fraud as the excuse.

Less than two weeks later, Trump would use domestic terrorists to incite an insurrection of the US Government.

36 Likes

Or a “Fat Trick” or maybe “Rat Trick”

4 Likes

“I like acting because I can move so quickly. It gives me more flexibility,” Trump said in a February interview with CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

6 Likes

Trump: “We have an obligation to tell people that this was an illegal, corrupt election."

This lie was a crime.

Donald Trump is a traitor.

21 Likes

Trump knows nobody who isn’t a chump believes a word he says. So the initial trigger for the scam has to come from outside him, from some seemingly neutral party, and then he can run out on the balcony and start yelling for heads to roll. If “many” or any non-Trump people are saying it, it’s more credible. Then his henchpersons “do the rest.” He’s been doing it from absolutely the beginning. When he first showed up in Manhattan, the business press would do profiles of him and mention, without attribution, that he was first in his class at Wharton. In fact he received no honors of any kind, and very few people there remember him. Obviously he said off the record that he was first in his class, and the writers figured what’s the harm and repeated it without bothering to check. From the fucking beginning.

31 Likes

To crib from Jaquis O’Neill, it’s too bad Trump was president and is still in a position to do great harm cause he’s really funny.

2 Likes

Probably not in anything revealed by these notes, but it sure seems relevant to a charge of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding re: the J6 electoral certification. 18 U.S.C. § 1512( c)(2):

Whoever corruptly . . . obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding, or attempts to do so . . . shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

17 Likes

Thanks. I had given up before I got that far.

3 Likes

Yes, we need to tighten up those “acting” appointments’ procedures. They’ve been abused to the point of irrelevance.

7 Likes

Yes, the all thought they’d get away with it. It worked in 2016 and if Trump had succeeded Gym and Rudi and Devin were going to be in very, very powerful positions. Powerful enough to bury any of the illegal bits.

This goes so far beyond pardon Ford gave Nixon to “heal the country”, these TYPES need to be shown the consequences of their actions.

21 Likes

One of these days, I need to get around to actually watching The Wire. But that clip is so relevant to so much litigation.

7 Likes

But wait! There’s more!

Donoghue’s notes were released after Trump and his lawyers did not seek to block them, even as some around him feared the disclosures would be damaging. There were days of discussions among Trump advisers, but the former president did not believe the notes showed anything problematic.

Hubris is generally debilitating.

40 Likes

Except for the Prof who said he was stupid.

The late William T. Kelley, who taught Trump at the University of Pennsylvania, said, “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had.” Tony Schwartz, the ghostwriter of “The Art of the Deal,” says Trump had “a stunning level of superficial knowledge and plain ignorance.”

26 Likes

And at the pentagon. Nov. 11, 2020

16 Likes