Milley Defends Efforts To Keep Trump From Potentially Nuking China

Joint Chiefs of Staff chair Gen. Mark Milley stands by his decision to privately reach out to senior military officials and his Chinese counterpart in an attempt to keep then-President Donald Trump from dragging the U.S. into war.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1387528

Thank You General Milley
A nuclear war can just ruin your day

43 Likes

We do want the Truth…and that is a good position to have.

5 Likes

Or make it. Haven’t had nukes going off in decades-- look at any documentary, it’s all grainy and low-grade resolution film.

I want the Tehran one filmed in Ultra 4K.

2 Likes

" Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) suggested that Milley be “court martialed.”"

I am suggesting Marmot-headed Russian asset chickenhawk shut the fuck up.

60 Likes

Conservatives who have a problem with this are welcome to go fuck themselves.

25 Likes

If only people were as concerned about TFG doing his job instead of Milley catching shit all the time.

25 Likes

Milley Defends Efforts To Keep Trump From Potentially Nuking China

Shucks. When you put it that way…

27 Likes

Lying is all the GOP has at the moment…and the lag caused by the necessity for us to use Protocol and S.O.P. (while the GOP lies at the rate of several thousand per day).

It will not be enough, though, and they know it.

6 Likes

I’m about as hard-core liberal as they come, and this makes me a bit queezy.

The military chain of command is structured so that decisions are ultimately under civilian control via the President and the Secretary of Defense.

Anything which undermines or gives the appearance of undermining that is a concern.

Sure, this time we may support the circumstances, but what happens the next time, if it’s a General deciding “fuck Biden” and going to do their own thing? Would we still see the same support?

10 Likes

It doesn’t sound like this was a one-on-one “secret call” at all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/claims-that-milley-made-secret-calls-to-chinese-leaders-exaggerated-sources-say

"A defense official familiar with the calls said that description is “grossly mischaracterized.”

The official said the calls were not out of the ordinary, and the chairman was not frantically trying to reassure his counterpart.

The people also said that Milley did not go rogue in placing the call, as the book suggests. In fact, Milley asked permission from acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller before making the call, said one former senior defense official, who was in the room for the meeting. Milley also briefed the secretary’s office after the call, the former official said."

35 Likes

Trump is the only person I can think of who would make it imperative to save the country in this manner.

That’s what he is, to our peril and detriment, because this is a country that uses precedent a lot.

I would support resignation then Milley’s canonization as an American savior when the Story is Told.

9 Likes

Depends, doesn’t it? If Milley needs to run some interference to make sure Biden doesn’t nuke China on his own I’m all for it. :100:

11 Likes

Milley did nothing to undermine civilian control. He didn’t make anybody swear an oath that they would refuse SecDef or Blobbo’s lawful orders. He asked to be kept informed, for the obvious reason that he wanted to have the opportunity to talk Trump out of doing anything too apocalyptic.

39 Likes

I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: No one has ever credibly accused General Mark A. Milley of being politically minded. (And Saints preserve us from “political generals”, anyway.)

But neither has he been credibly accused of being a bad soldier, much less a traitor.

10 Likes

That presumes that we’re actually opposed to nuking China.

May have to, sooner or later, so if we need to, best to get it out of the way so that we can get iPhone production lines back up and running as soon as possible after we’ve eliminated Xi and the PLA.

1 Like

‘If the allegations are true, Rep. Andy Biggs (R-TX) should go down in history as a traitor to the American people.’

Did Members of Congress Give ‘Reconnaissance Tours’ Before Capitol Riots? (snopes.com)

11 Likes

Re-posted from other thread. General Milley wasn’t going rogue with that call to his Chinese counterpart. From Politico:

Milley asked permission from acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller before making the call, said one former senior defense official, who was in the room for the meeting. Milley also briefed the secretary’s office after the call, the former official said.

“We discussed beforehand and after his call with his Chinese counterpart,” the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive topic.

As for asking to be advised if Trump ordered an attack when he wasn’t in the direct chain of command for that order, I’m not a military lawyer, but on the face of it, he would seem to be at a high enough rank to be asked to be kept in the loop.

We could make an assumption that the reason he wanted to be advised was so he could take action to stop it, but that didn’t happen. So I’m not sure what there is to get upset about here. And there is a lot to be thankful for, that at least a few guardrails were still in place.

15 Likes

It would probably be faster to start new production lines elsewhere in that event.

2 Likes

That’s, Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ, not TX). Either way he is a jerk.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available