Loose Cannon Is Making A Mess Of The Mar-a-Lago Case

What the Republican candidates are advocating, in sum, is an abandonment of morals. They’re rationalizing bigotry and cruelty—withholding humanitarian aid, barring child refugees, bombing Gaza without limits—and they’re grounding America’s loyalty to Israel in Jewish and Christian scripture. This isn’t the way to build an alliance against terrorism. It’s the way to feed a religious war.

I’ve avoided barging in here for a whole host of reasons, but this particular aspect is disturbing me. The notion that a whole people deserve elimination fills me with horror. The subsequent comparison of all Palestinians in Gaza to Nazi’s is repulsive.

The problem here is that if we criticize the GOP candidates or Representative Mast for urging genocide we are simultaneously accused of being anti-semitic and persecuting Christians.

39 Likes

This did not happen.
I saw this posted and failed to verify the post before sharing it here. I’m sorry. I’m leaving it as a reminder to myself and other folks to verify sources before sharing. Thank you for the correction.

Reposting @kelaine post from yesterday’s evening thread:

How is this not an illegal attempt to corruptly influence the judge by dangling a job opportunity in front of her? Sure, we all know he would do it.

But now that he’s actually said it out loud… how is bribing a judge with a quid pro quo via social media any more allowable than offering her a deal in private?

73 Likes

Over the course of seven years, Johnson has never reported a checking or savings account in his name, nor in the name of his wife or any of his children

I guess Harlan Crow must pay his bills too.

22 Likes

Aranaktu doesn’t care about money.

2 Likes

I’d like to see him get fricasseed next.

17 Likes

I’m pretty certain that the reason for spraying below the mural had to do with the fact that it would have been harder to decipher their vile spewings if they’d sprayed white on the mural rather than on the dark background below.

It most certainly had nothing to do with not wanting to damage the artwork – indeed, wouldn’t be surprised if some jerk somewhere comes back with buckets of red paint or something to wreck the murals.

(ETA: yes, I know you were being snarky… :wink:)

10 Likes

Hinduism has just become a re-election vehicle for the unspeakable Narendra Modi even as it promotes caste differences, horrible treatment of women, etc.

Islam, well, we know that virtually all Islamic-majority countries have official and institutionalized intolerance, and have draconian punishments for blasphemy, etc.

Ah, gentle Buddhism, Lisa Simpson’s favorite religion! Just don’t tell the Rohingya, who were ethnically cleansed out of Burma in a pogrom organized and incited by Buddhist monks.

I think it was in the 1960s, when the Beatles and other rock groups pilgrimaged to India to see that Maharishi fraud, that supposedly “progressive” elements in the West got this cockeyed notion that the Eastern religions were purer, less violent, and more spiritual than the monotheistic religions.

In reality, it’s all Scheissdreck.

ADDENDUM: I had left out one religion, but it appears some of its practitioners are equally homicidal:

Haaretz | Opinion

Opinion | Israel, Beware: In War, Apocalyptic Jewish Ultra-nationalists Are in a State of Ecstasy

Their eyes sparkle. They talk about a ‘second Nakba.’ They believe these are the days of the Messiah. For ultra-Orthodox nationalists, the war with Hamas is a double fantasy: Full Jewish rule over Greater Israel and a fundamentalist Jewish from the ashes of today’s liberal-democratic Israel

Uri Misgav

Nov 2, 2023 9:41 am IST

Even if Israel wins the existential war that has been imposed on it, it will still face an internal threat that must not be taken lightly: nationalist ultra-Orthodox Zionism. Those who have spoken with followers of this movement since the calamity and destruction of October 7 encounter a strange phenomenon.

Their eyes sparkle. They are ecstatic. From their perspective, these are the days of the Messiah. The grand opportunity. It is an integral part of fundamentalist understandings, in all religions. The belief in an apocalypse, Armageddon, Gog and Magog, as the sole means of redemption.

In the case of the Haredi Zionists, this is a double fantasy: full Jewish rule over the entire area from the Mediterranean Sea to the Jordan River, in concert with the erasure of Arab existence and the emergence of a halakhic state from the ashes of today’s liberal-democratic Israel.

This explains the talk of a “second Nakba” and the resettlement of Gush Katif, in the southern Gaza Strip, as well as the speed with which settlement groups were organized that set their sights on the ruins of the Gaza-border kibbutzim, and the attempts to take control of the volunteer initiatives to aid area farmers.

But the main focus, of course, is the current war. There is a broad consensus on the need to strike Hamas and end its rule of the Gaza Strip. The debate is over nuances. For example, the question of the ground invasion, its necessity and timing. The issue of the abductees and their priority. The attitude toward civilian casualties, the laws of war and humanitarian aid. To Haredi Zionists, such debates are a detrimental waste of time. Gaza is Amalek, which must be wiped off the face of the earth.

This also filters down to the Israel Defense Forces, because there is a well-established Haredi Zionist stream within the army. The commander of the 36th Armored Division, Brig. Gen. David Bar Khalifa, this week issued a moving, handwritten battle directive to his troops, on letterhead with a quote from Psalms at the top (“As arrows in the hand of a mighty man”): “What has been will be no more! We shall go out to it in war, we shall pulverize every accursed plot of land from which it came, we shall destroy it and the memory of it … and we shall not return until it is annihilated, and [God] doth render vengeance to his adversaries, and doth make expiation for the land of His people… The Lord will give strength to his people, and He shall guard thy going out and thy coming in, from this time forth and forever. This is our war, today is our turn. Here we are!”

This is an ecstatic religious text, suitable for a student at Or Etzion Yeshiva, where he studied, not for a sane, rational division commander in a modern army.

Past commanders of the 36th Armored Division include Zvi Zamir, Uzi Narkiss, Rafael Eitan, Uri Sagi, Amram Mitzna, Avigdor Kahalani, Matan Vilnai, Amiram Levin and Yitzhak Brik. It is hard to imagine any of them issuing something like this military document.

Many Haredi Zionists, some of them civil servants, see the terrible crisis as an opportunity and even a divine plan. The mayor of Harish, Yizhak Keshet, explained the turn of events at a “security conference” he convened this week (Tali Heruti-Sover, TheMarker Hebrew, Oct. 30). “There is a divine move here. It’s perfectly clear. It doesn’t just happen,” he declared while wearing a ceramic bulletproof vest.

“You must look at things, that the people of Israel, in the wake of this difficult and terrible event, survived. There was a much, much bigger and more malicious plan to destroy the State of Israel… from four different fronts, of which Hamas is the smallest. And God’s mercy on us caused them to disrupt their plans. The trigger that caused this is the same party, they saw such a temptation, of 3,000, near the fence, and they could not resist the temptation and entered. This thing saved us.”

It goes without saying that the martyrs of the Nova trance music festival and the victims of the massacres in the border communities are only pawns in the divine plan to complete the mission – in the West Bank.

That is why Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich continues even now to channel government funds to them in a frenzy. That is why settlers and sometimes also Haredi Zionist soldiers riot there unhindered, killing and rampaging and expelling Palestinians. The Jewish jihad is determined to set the entire Holy Land on fire. Israelis who want to live must not take their eyes off it or turn their backs on it.

15 Likes

Ron really, really wants DeSantis supporters to fight tooth and nail for him. Has anyone seen Casey DeSantis lately?

3 Likes

He’s going to make a vacancy for her??? It just gets better.

11 Likes

Johnson, like a lot of these religious fruitcakes, has been running his entire life as a tax free ministry/industry.

I honestly believe that if accountants did pro bono work in our economy these people would be out of business by the next financial year.

19 Likes

OK…I’ll agree with “most” if you’ll acknowledge that “most” is not “all”.

5 Likes

They acknowledged it’s a typo.

I showed this video to my 15 year old daughter, who has no idea of George Carlin’s legendary status. She about died laughing. She continues to refer back to it, and has sought out on her own more Carlin clips. She’s a fan!

and yes, I believe this can be inferred from context when watching the video. He wasn’t talking about Buddhism.

16 Likes

Lakshmi and Hestia are in the lead.

1 Like

Does Speaker Mike Johnson Have a Bank Account?….Poverty is not a vice

It is not a sin to be poor….But it’s no great honor either!

However anything is preferable to being a dweeby specky fundy shithouse like the new speaker.

2 Likes

6 Likes

This is not good for Judge Cannon. He was better off not commenting on this Judge at all. But to heap praise and dangle a spot on the Supreme Court seems like a reason for her to recuse herself -in the interest of being fair and impartial. She won’t but this should give her pause.

36 Likes

Oh, the compensation may not yet have changed hands - but her eternal prosperity has effectively been assured - were she to depart the bench (or not) - she will have multiple consultancies & board positions and speaking bookings guaranteed until the end of her life. Her kids will be granted secret “legacy” admission to what ever select institutions they choose.

she is sort of like Kyle Rittenhouse x 1000 … there are MAGAs in the shadows who will snap open their checkbooks and express their gratitude to her in a heartbeat .

18 Likes

I’ve gotten the impression, from articles here on TPM, that it’s actually the Senate Democrats who have refused to bring up each nominee for an individual vote (although they made a few exceptions for really high-level appointments). Might be because that would hold up the Senate floor for weeks, if not months—or I may have misread something.

1 Like

She might be hoping, but there’s no dangling and it will never, ever happen.

13 Likes