Jury Expected To Begin Deliberations Today - TPM – Talking Points Memo

I disagree.

Jurors have had their lives disrupted for weeks and the crime is not that complicated. They’ll likely want to look like they took the deliberations seriously so I don’t expect a verdict today. However, I doubt the jurors want to come back to the courthouse next week, so I do expect a verdict this week.

21 Likes

But Thou Shall Not Call It Climate Change. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

What happened to Screwdy G?

Why he’s now been declared to be a Profit, er, “Prophet”

https://www.mediamatters.org/rudy-giuliani/after-being-called-prophet-rudy-giuliani-says-he-feels-great-deal-responsibility

3 Likes

My estimate is that, allowing for delays, logistical issues, and remaining points of argument, the jury will probably receive the case at around 11:30 a.m.

It means that with each day scheduled to go until 4:30 p.m., we could get a result today — that could be a conviction, acquittal, or hung jury.

If we get a verdict as early as this afternoon, i’d say there’s a 99% chance that its for a decision of “guilty”. With all the evidence that’s been presented, and the antics and behaviors of the defendant and his witnesses, i really cannot see a “not guilty” verdict coming from the jury that quickly. Yes, there could be a hung jury on a few of the charges, but certainly not all 34. No way there’s a “not guilty” verdict on all 34, either. Thinking this through, to come to a unanimous decision on all 34 charges, i’d say we’re looking at an announcement maybe late Friday, possibly even on Monday. I suspect the jury will be in a hurry to get this episode of their lives behind them and come to a verdict as quickly as possible. The unanimous agreement on all 34 charges, though, could very well stretch things out for a couple of days. My 2 cents.

16 Likes

Na, they are more likely to blame some kind of Soros weather control conspiracy theory than acknowledge climate change. The level of denial in the cult is strong.

8 Likes

Then, with all due respect, you aren’t looking. The ideas are good, like the Golden Rule. Simple, decent. And a lot of people help others selflessly in the name of religion. That people are generally a bunch of assholes who can’t even follow the basics of their own religion doesn’t mean religion is inherently bad.

19 Likes

Hell of a governing philosophy.

5 Likes

Bill the Cat coughs a hairball in your general direction at the comparison. :wink:

11 Likes

Does she understand that this is a State-level case, and not a Federal-level case, and that “Judge shopping” is not a thing in New York?

18 Likes

IANAL and I have no time or interest in legal TV dramas, but my feeling is if we go past three whole days of deliberations, we may have issues. The court reporters say there is at least one juror who stands out as appearing either occasionally too irritated or too friendly gesturing with Trump and team.
https://x.com/harrylitman/status/1795523404927504614

6 Likes

See today’s WaPo front page story about the Indian Schools our government ordered our native children to attend (to civilize them.) 80% of the schools were run by the Catholic Church.

From 1819 to 1969, tens of thousands of children were sent to more than 500 boarding schools across the country, the majority run or funded by the U.S. government. Children were stripped of their names, their long hair was cut, and they were beaten for speaking their languages, leaving deep emotional scars on Native American families and communities. By 1900, 1 out of 5 Native American school-age children attended a boarding school. At least 80 of the schools were operated by the Catholic Church or its religious affiliates.

The Post investigation reveals a portrait of pervasive sexual abuse endured by Native American children at Catholic-run schools in remote regions of the Midwest and Pacific Northwest, including Alaska.

At least 122 priests, sisters and brothers assigned to 22 boarding schools since the 1890s were later accused of sexually abusing Native American children under their care, The Post found. Most of the documented abuse occurred in the 1950s and 1960s and involved more than 1,000 children.

Shameful.

22 Likes

That would be editorializing, not fact-based reporting unless the NYT can actually climb inside her head to prove motive.

Instead, the article says that what she’s doing is playing into Trump’s strategy of delaying the case, which lets the reader connect the dots without stating something that can’t be proved. This is what the article says in some of the early paragraphs:

The portrait that has emerged so far is that of an industrious but inexperienced and often insecure judge whose reluctance to rule decisively even on minor matters has permitted one of the country’s most important criminal cases to become bogged down in a logjam of unresolved issues.

She rarely issues rulings that explain her thinking in a way that might reveal her legal influences or any guiding philosophy. And that has made the hearings, which have taken place in Federal District Court in Fort Pierce, Fla., all the more important in assessing her management of the case.

Regardless of her motives, Judge Cannon has effectively imperiled the future of a criminal prosecution that once seemed the most straightforward of the four Mr. Trump is facing.

She has largely accomplished this by granting a serious hearing to almost every issue — no matter how far-fetched — that Mr. Trump’s lawyers have raised, playing directly into the former president’s strategy of delaying the case from reaching trial.

10 Likes

I want to know why ES refers to ‘Acting’ Justice Merchan?
I hadn’t heard the ‘Acting’ used before this complaint/tirade, and I’m not sure if I’ve missed something important or if ES is just being her assholish self here

8 Likes

And does the article mention Trump’s appointment of Loose Cannon, her Federalist Society background, or any opposing perspectives of her conduct from legal experts? Somehow I doubt it (don’t want to give it a click).

5 Likes

I have no words, other than fuck her (figuratively!)

9 Likes

Nice job, Nikki! You’re no Jane Fonda, we get it. You’re a heartless monster. So much better in the mirror world.

And I mistakenly thought that Rolling Stone article byline on the lovely Alitos said they spat on their neighbor’s cat. Wow, I thought, now they’ve crossed a line. Was going to start looking for the scar in photos of her. Ol’ Tabs would have done the duty for all of us.

11 Likes

The Defendant’s seat is much edgier. He is having a much worse day than most people today. If that continues for a month, I am OK with it.

12 Likes

From the article:

A former federal prosecutor, Judge Cannon graduated from Duke University and the University of Michigan’s law school, where she joined the conservative Federalist Society. She was nominated to the federal bench by Mr. Trump during his final months in office and was confirmed by the Senate just days after he was declared the loser of the 2020 election.

Here’s the full article if anyone wants to read it (un-paywalled link)

4 Likes

Like declaring Rudy a prophet? (If Job, I might be OK with it). But it seems Dumpster Donald is being elevated from Cyrus to The Promised 2nd Coming. Sick. Sick. Sick.

6 Likes
16 Likes