Jury Expected To Begin Deliberations Today - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Judge Juan Merchan is expected to give jury instructions, and then hand the case over to the jury, which will begin deliberations, on Wednesday morning.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1490728
1 Like

Good Morning Folks :sun_with_face:

Let’s make it a good one!

63 Likes

Oh please, please, please! I realize that despite deserving it, there’s very little chance he gets incarcerated before the years long appeal process drags to close, but maybe he can have a nervous breakdown and just be a fat Bill the Cat with weirder hair going "Tthhppppt!!! at his imagined rivals.

29 Likes

Procedural question: someone said they estimated Trump would have a sentencing hearing about 90 days after a guilty verdict. I believe this wouldn’t be unusual. Why does it take so long?

3 Likes

While we wait, there’s this fluff job. Most kindergarten teachers have better skill sets.

14 Likes

O Today is a very good day indeed! Today he waits, we wait. 12 folks - American citizens - think it over, talk it over and decide what’s right to them.

Heady stuff. I’m glad I’m alive for this moment. This little milestone.

May it be a millstone for the accused.

43 Likes

We might be waiting for a verdict by a jury in that case atm if cannon wasn’t the judge.

19 Likes

The NYT has basically devolved into self-parody at this point. But you know what really pisses me off about that headline? That they missed such a perfect and obvious chance to alliterate: “Prepared, Prickly, and Plodding.”

32 Likes

It will be that for sure. Given Trump’s control freak dominate it all person just the fact that he is in no control over this moment and must let a bunch of “losers” decide his fate is damn near punishment enough. I think the chance of a conviction vs hung jury is about 50 / 50. No chance for acquittal.

14 Likes

Be HERE, will be wild.

Let’s see who arrives in the clown car with The Orange One today.

7 Likes

While we are waiting
Nikki Haley Writes ‘Finish Them!’ On Israeli Bomb After Gaza Massacre (rollingstone.com)

Neighbors Called Police After Spat With Alito’s Wife Escalated | HuffPost Latest News

Alito’s Upside-Down Flag Claim Dismantled by Police, Neighbors: Report (rollingstone.com)
The justice’s wife allegedly spat at her neighbors’ car and traded insults, prompting the young couple to call the police

Donald Trump Says He’ll Stop All Electric Car Sales (gizmodo.com)

39 Likes

It would take courage to say “Cannon is intentionally slow walking this case in order to give Trump a shot at canning it” and we can’t have that. The NYT is like a mass murderer that gives big bucks to fight child cancer. It does some good but the wrong it does is devastating.

Al Gore said he invented the internet…that led to the Iraq War.
John Kerry did not ear his medals…that led to a financial crash.

18 Likes

I’m guessing he won’t have much of an entourage because the judge is going to make everyone stay in their seats for a good chunk of the day. That should eliminate the show-boaters that just pop in for the photo op and to let TDFG know they’re there.

20 Likes

Re: Nikki Haley’s inscriptions - she has lost her last vestige of humanity. Bombing refugees in tent cities is the very definition of depravity. I don’t care if Adolf Hitler himself is sitting in one of the tents. Find another way to take Hamas out. Killing women and children clustered in so-called safe zones is not the answer. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

54 Likes

That made me think of a discussion I had with someone yesterday about the supposed good the Catholic Church does and how that good stacks up against all the kiddie diddling and the millions of innocents they’ve sickened and murdered in some of the poorest and must vulnerable parts of the world by convincing people that condoms are evil and don’t work.

I don’t think it really works that way. You can’t offset the intentional evil you do by being nice sometimes. The evil doesn’t go anywhere. It’s still right there, festering and making the world just that much harder and more awful than it needs to be.

20 Likes

In this case it puts sentencing right about labor day when everyone starts paying attention to the coming election.

8 Likes

Probably an unpopular opinion here today, but I refuse to get excited until Merchan announces that a verdict has been reached. That could be later today or the middle of next month. Sitting on the edge of one’s seat for an undetermined amount of time can be uncomfortable, but I remind everyone here:

This isn’t an episode of Law and Order where the case wraps up and is adjudicated in 43 minutes. This could take a while.

Or not.

19 Likes

Drill baby drill
Texas tornado plunges one million residents into darkness as storm tears apart region (msn.com)

13 Likes

She only is looking to delay. She doesn’t want to be first federal trial.

If he’s convicted in DC, then she needn’t protect anymore.

She just is watching to see which way the wind is blowing

12 Likes

Jesus is angry about all the sh*t people are doing in his name

16 Likes