Don’t Let Aileen Cannon’s Sleight Of Hand Fool You

I would like to tell a story of one of the most famous photos/photographers on Dday, Robert Capa. The source is primarily from his memoir, Slightly Out of Focus. This link to Magnum Photos will provide the images and a deeper dive. The block quote is from my lecture notes.

The war correspondent has his stake - his life - in his own hands, and he can put it on this horse or on that horse, or he can put it back in his pocket at the very last minute. I am a gambler. I decided to go in with Company E, in the first wave…

Capa started to photograph still standing on the open bow ramp. The coxswain, wanting to turn the boat round as quickly as possible kicked him off. Capa recalls: “The water was cold and the beach more than 100 yards (sic) away”

“My beautiful France looked sordid and uninviting, and a German machine gun, spitting bullets around the barge, fully spoiled my return…I made for the nearest steel obstacle…I finished my pictures, and the sea was cold in my trousers. 50 yards ahead of me a half-burnt tank offered me my next cover…Between floating bodies I reached it, paused for a few more pictures, and gathered my guts for the last jump to the beach. (p. 137-138)”

Once he reached the beach… For several minutes, he lay with his entire body pressed as close to the sand as possible, gripped by a debilitating fear that was far greater than any he had experienced in a decade of covering war: "I had it bad. The empty camera trembled in my hands. It was a new kind of fear shaking my body from toe to hair, and twisting my face.“ (history.net)

…He knew that the only way to overcome the terror was to take pictures, get the job done as quickly as possible, and get the hell off the beach. He continuously clicked his two Contax-II-cameras, until he used all his film. Then he saw a landing craft 50 yards out at sea. (history.net)

Capa stood up and ran for the boat, wading out through blood-red water. The cold seas came up to his chest, then waves slapped his face. He held his cameras above his head. ……

34 Likes

Let’s give her some credit. She coulda been the Queen of the Roller Derby as captain of the B6 Bombers. Instead she answered a higher calling in her quest for the adoration of the asses, GA-14’s Mistress of the Fright.

7 Likes

A quarter of voters would say the same thing if trump was caught cannibalizing children on Pedo Island. Those people are voting for him because he’s their transgressive shitlord. They’re not the voters these convictions are capable of moving or at least dissuading.

50 Likes

A point more and more people are making. If being a felon is so great, Trump should welcome every trial and not even bother with private lawyers. Why wasn’t he dancing outside the NY courthouse?

13 Likes

“The Thing”

Which one?

6 Likes

My god, that is a powerful and technically brilliant photograph.

6 Likes

LIFE magazine always had pictures of the war…i read it every week,it was one of the scources we had for info…radio and newspapers…i actually existed without TV and the Internet…imagine that!!!

20 Likes

Cotton’s fatal flaw is that he is 6’5". He is checking into leg shortening procedures as we speak

15 Likes

True. Although, when I state to someone that I am an atheist, the hatred is not immediate, they first go through a phase of disbelief and incomprehension, questions like “do you believe in science, then?” or worse “do you believe in Darwin?”, they fail to understand how someone can live without dogma or without expectations of an afterlife. You can see their eyes go wide when I tell them that, I do not know the all the answers and accept it. I don’t know what happens after we die, but most likely that is it. What I do know is that giving money to self-appointed all-knowing charlatans is not going to make a difference.

18 Likes

My dad was stationed in France, but was not part of D-Day. He got a 10-day leave in 1945 to marry my mom.

46 Likes

I sure wouldn’t want that rollin’ up on me!

4 Likes

I’ll start with Thing 420. Then I’ll contemplate Thing infinity for a good long while, then move on to Thing Pi when I get hungry. Is there a Thing whipped cream somewhere?

5 Likes

The cowardice of sophistication.

…of the government if it meant putting Trump in power.

20 Likes

My Dad was another one in the Pacific theater on an aircraft carrier during D-Day. He wasn’t a pilot, but did aerial recon photos. Lost all his front teeth in one hard landing. He never talked about the war after coming home and raising a family.

26 Likes

4 Likes

Re NYC congestion pricing. The original congestion pricing plan was introduced by mayor Bloomberg while others plans were proposed decades earlier. There was a Lindsey era plan to toll the outer borough bridges. Value pricing schemes are basically economics 101. The Nobel economist William Vickrey worked on congestion pricing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congestion_pricing), the notion that roads and other services should be priced so that users see the costs that arise from the service being fully used when there is still demand.[5][6][7][8] Congestion pricing gives a signal to users to adjust their behavior or to investors to expand the service in order to remove the constraint. The theory was later partially put into action in London.

Congestion charges are in place in a number of cities across the world, have successfully been implemented and supported by economists across the ideological spectrum.
A way out of this would be to toll the outer borough non MTA free bridges to discourage “toll shopping”, folks taking for example the Brooklyn Bridge, which is free vs the Brooklyn Battery tunnel which is tolled by using variable time of day or congestion tolling.

10 Likes

TPM needs to get another photo of this woman…she looks like a cabbage-patch doll.

7 Likes

No “Thing whipped cream” but Thing Avogadro (not pictured) likes it with his cocoa.

5 Likes

I fell in love with photography because of Life Magazine!

10 Likes

The Ghost of Joanie Weston would like a word with you…

2 Likes