DOJ Sues Texas, Alleging Redistricting Maps Discriminate Against Black And Latino Voters | Talking Points Memo

If they do order a redrawing of the 24th, my neighborhood most likely goes back to the 32nd. Hard to see where else it would end up.

ETA: Incidentally, Rep. Allred’s newly-packed district is described as “Anglo-controlled,” which is accurate despite it becoming something like D+20 now.

7 Likes

This will go to the U.S. Supreme Court: first as to whether or not to issue (or stay) an injunction prohibiting its implementation; and then on the merits. Ultimately, the suit will be dismissed on a 6-3 vote – Roberts on such issues is strongly aligned with the rest of the gang. The issue will be timing: there are elections due in 11 months, and districts need to be determined for candidates to declare for primaries.

2 Likes

Don’t know. That could only be good for Colin, and I know you’d be a lot happier.

4 Likes

I’d like a VRA that included preclearance for ALL states.

Agreed except that I think he’s more of a “dot every i, cross every t” kind of guy who seeks to present the strongest case possible instead of the type to hurriedly move forward in order appease the Dem base.

21 Likes

You have a promising career in comedy!

22 Likes

:heart_eyes:

5 Likes

OT: A few weeks ago, I gave the countdown on the results of the ultrasounds for the dairy goats at the farm and one lady was held off from testing because her breeding took place too late for the ultrasound to be effective.

This morning, it was determined that she was back in heat, meaning she is not expecting any kids this season. She will be given the season off (she is just barely two years old, so still a bit young) and they will try her again next fall.

That leaves 14 pregnant goats and about 25 kids that will be arriving between late Feb and mid March.

Gonna be busy out there. Stay tuned!!!

20 Likes

It would certainly take the stench of partisanship out of the review process if all States were subject. That may be the answer to keep the SCOTUS from calling it discriminatory.

10 Likes

My biggest concern is that Margaret Taylor Green might decide to run in the new 6th District as she actually lives here. But if I am lucky we will only get an insurrectionist, bigoted MAGAt.

1 Like

Plus it might help WI. :grinning:

1 Like

Dallas County itself is D+30, so you’re living in the conservative part of town.

:tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah. Merrick just woke up today and said "we should sue Texas for violating the remnant of the VRA. He placed a call to the Civil Rights Division with breakfast and they investigated the matter, whipped up the complaint in a couple of hours and got it filed.

Because obviously, if this was one of many things the CRD had been investigating for some time and this complaint was the result of weeks of labor and deliberation and review, we would have read about it in the news weeks ago. And sadly, since we’ve read about nothing else being in the pipelines, this is all the action we can expect.

7 Likes

My thing is that folks don’t get this

this

and other actions to fix the system, if smeg (Trump) is still in charge.

Instead we get a mix of blue state lawsuits and Erin Burnett reports about a swimsuit model being Trump’s next AG.

14 Likes

The conservative part of town is mostly north of northwest highway. (As you know, Highland Park isn’t part of Dallas - it’s its own town in the heart of the city;) Lakewood has 4 Democratic clubs. and there is at least 1 other East Dallas Democratic club - the funky Democrats.

4 Likes

Wow, pessimistic much? /s

5 Likes

Sorry. Triggered my annoyance at Do Something! Twitter.

6 Likes

No worries, I know the feeling.

1 Like

Given that the State court has said they see nothing wrong with the current maps and they need minimal adjustment, we can use all the help we can get.

3 Likes
28 Likes

This is pretty good/clear as to the problem.

Others have mentioned that this case could help with Wisconsin, but there’s a problem with that:

Wisconsin Demographics

According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of Wisconsinwas:

• White: 85.43%
  • Black or African American: 6.41%
  • Asian: 2.79%
  • Two or more races: 2.39%
  • Other race: 2.04%
  • Native American: 0.89%
  • Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.04%

Wisconsin Population 2021 (Demographics, Maps, Graphs) (worldpopulationreview.com)

Race isn’t the problem here. It just isn’t.

The problem is here:

Six districts are deep or light red, where Dems are 42% of the population and GOPs are 42% of the population.

What Redistricting Looks Like In Every State - Wisconsin | FiveThirtyEight

And yet the WI-SC seems nothing wrong with the existing map.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available