DOJ Sues Texas, Alleging Redistricting Maps Discriminate Against Black And Latino Voters | Talking Points Memo

Not at all. Some of them certainly are, but the Western District of Texas (El Paso Division) is hardly a hotbed of Trumpism. The bigger picture problem is that the 5th Circuit is the second-Trumpiest federal appellate court in the country.

17 Likes

While I am glad Garland is taking some action, there really is no other choice;

Does anyone actually think Abbott and Republican plans for Texas has anything to worry about in the current U.S. Supreme Court?

All realists know Abbott will win and America will lose.

1 Like

OT. Now we had a truly patriotic CEO helping the country deal with labor shortage…stores are having a hard time hiring people for the holiday sales…

15 Likes

Straw man? That was damn near a direct quote from the boards here over the past few months.

13 Likes

Plucking is one of those posters who calls everything a straw man when he/she disagrees with it.

5 Likes

I just got into a Democratic district and it’s the best Democrat’s district, too. Don’t re-redistrict me out of it again please. I finally have representation.

21 Likes

“95% of Texas’ population growth over the past decade came from Latinos, African Americans and other minority groups.”

And this is why the GOP’s Pink-American base in Texas (and elsewhere) is totally freaking out.

30 Likes

Yes and why that freakout is happening in the suburbs to such an extent. Nothing like white folks finding out that white flight didn’t work.

20 Likes

They just placed me in a R+29 district, among all of them rednecks in Forsyth County. I usually avoid even going there.

3 Likes

We went in the other direction. We got redistricted out of a Democratic district (Joe Neguse) along the Front Range and into a bright red district that encompasses all the ranch/farm/extraction industries in the Eastern Plains, aka west Nebraska/Kansas. The only thing we have in common with our new district is we’re east of the Divide.

3 Likes

White suburban republicans: we’re gonna need a bigger truck.

2 Likes

Well alright! ….Yes, indeed!

1 Like

Not a Lawyer, but the optics are good for Garland.

As I see on this thread.

One thing about being quiet. When speech/action comes, it registers…

13 Likes

And @mondfledermaus - Sorry.

I was in a district that is mostly made up of East Texas. My Congressman’s offices were in Terrell and Palestine. Two long thin weird tails stretched into Dallas into my neighborhood. His district ended in the middle of my street.

Not any more. Now Colin Allred is my Rep.

13 Likes

I’m delighted. Perhaps the doom-posters can take a break.

10 Likes

I’d like to thank the voters in the following states: Arizona, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Georgia and Michigan.

20 Likes

The new TX-32 doesn’t appear to be targeted in the lawsuit, although it’s mentioned as part of the overall DFW gerrymander. TX-24, the shitty redrawn district I got cast into in order to benefit the odious Beth Van Duyne, is squarely at issue, however.

11 Likes

I personally think all the states should be on pre-clearance. There are plenty of red states not included in the original group and even a few Dem states that are heavily gerrymandered or are working on becoming heavily gerrymandered (WI, MI, IL, OH, etc.)

14 Likes

Well yay! Hot damn - you might get relief and the redraw of my district really should be left alone - I do not believe that it impacted the communities the DOJ is concerned with.

3 Likes

Last year I did a day-by-day posting narrative on my take on things from 3 November to 7 November.

It was exhilarating. And I will not allow present-day Trumpism take that away.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available