DOJ Sues Texas, Alleging Redistricting Maps Discriminate Against Black And Latino Voters | Talking Points Memo

Harbinger of the Supreme Court’s “hand-off” approach. By claiming issues are political questions rather than legal ones, conservative ideology masquerading as the legislative process takes the high ground. The christo-fascist court gets its cake and eats it too. And mark my words - although the decision regarding the Mississippi abortion law is expected in the first half of next year, the court will claim they fear it will be used for political purposes (i.e., the Democrats making gains when people come to the conclusion they don’t want to live in Gilead), so they will withhold announcing the decision until after the election. You heard it here first.

4 Likes

HAHAHAHA!!! I suppose it’s worth a try, but it’s going nowhere.

Check out this list of judges…

BUT

HER

EMAILS

3 Likes

Because it will be used for political purposes. Their donors and supporters will ensure that.

He takes quick action on some things. This action took just five weeks. The DOJ has been steadily moving on with the bit players of the insurrection. They’ve also gone after the grifters like Powell.

What the DOJ hasn’t done is go after any Republican elected officials and staff.

Merrick “no appearance of politics” Garland decided months ago to limit justice to what bits of truth Congress can reveal. We’re nearly to the Midterm crazy season now, so Garland will also have that excuse for his inaction.

Garland is letting Trump and his accomplices off the hook. This will invigorate Republicans and cause a great many Democratic voters to be so gutsick that they just plain give up.

3 Likes

Almost all of the growth in Texas over the past 10 years has come from minorities. The white population grew by only 187k over the past 10 years. Latinos grew by 1.99 M. Blacks grew by 557k and Asians grew by 613k. There really is no justification for whites to have higher voting power as a share of the population particularly in metro areas where minority voters are dominant. I think this is a great case for the DOJ to take on. It will be uphill given the conservative courts willingness to entrench white power, but the case may be strong enough to force a redraw of the districts, which would in effect cancel out a +1 to +2 GOP gain in redistricting. This is definitely a case worth pursuing.

26 Likes

AND…while much more complicated to articulate…if you start looking at WHERE THE POPULATION GROWTH IS COMING FROM…it serves to highlight even more just how egregiously racist TX’s redistricting is. Not only have they managed to tip everything on it’s head in terms of raw numbers like that tweet shows, but they have done so blatantly and demonstrably to negate the demographic shifts occurring in the population over time. That list doesn’t just show how unfair they’ve made it, but also the lengths to which they will go to abuse power to avoid being “replaced.”

9 Likes

It’s no coincidence that Dylann Roof wore apartheid South African and Rhodesian flag patches:

15 Likes

He can’t be as odious as Bob Barr.

1 Like

Hopefully, McConnell got the right judges in the right seats to get this suit thrown out before it’s even heard. Fingers crossed!*

*and yes…/s

And they said that in the presentation (Garland and AAG). So this is no big secret, at least on the Left. For the Right, they’re going to cry foul. Not for any reason other than that they can and they’ll get good donations for it.

I am anxious to see how this plays out, both on end-game and timing of the end-game. I don’t want this to wait until after the midterms.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they should have been readmitted into the Union.

2 Likes

Oh for sure…Rhodesia is a big mythical thing for them…huge…

2 Likes

Known as “Betoland” to some.

“… attaching them to heavily Anglo rural counties, some more than a hundred miles away, placing them in a congressional district where they would lack equal electoral opportunity”

to say nothing of the fact that the likelihood of obtaining any services from their representative
would be near ZERO!

1 Like

A) There is no publicly available evidence that any elected officials or staff committed any crimes in connection with J6.

B) The most plausible charge would be for any electeds or staff who participated in planning the mob action, which would be for conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding. But those are difficult charges to prove without documentary evidence, and they’ll take plenty of time to investigate.

There really is no reason to think that Garland has decided to lay off Trump or any members of the insurrection caucus. Any such directive would have long since been leaked to the press. He just doesn’t have proof sufficient to bring such charges. At least, not yet.

18 Likes

Can we deport him to Soweto?

1 Like

… and in a few months six Supreme Court so-called ‘Justices’ will shrug their collective shoulders and give Governor Abbot an attaboy for a job well done.

2 Likes

Sigh!

2 Likes

OT: I suppose, given his service in the Senate for better or worse, this is the right thing to do:

Andrew Solender on Twitter: “Bob Dole to lie in state at the Capitol rotunda on Thursday, Pelosi & Schumer announce: https://t.co/F9PJJYNBlv” / Twitter

3 Likes

“Dang it! Abbott get’s ALL the breaks. I wish the DOJ would sue FLORIDA.”

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available