DOJ Sues Texas, Alleging Redistricting Maps Discriminate Against Black And Latino Voters | Talking Points Memo

The Department of Justice is suing the state of Texas over its 2021 redistricting plans, which were approved by Gov. Greg Abbott (R) in October.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1397087

Wow, nice change of pace for DOJ!

26 Likes

Well, all right.

9 Likes

There will be a whole lot more where this came from if States continue on this path of disenfranchisement. Period.

30 Likes

I guess it all depends in what Federal Court this lawsuit ends up. The Federal judges in Texas are mostly rabid GOP partisans.

6 Likes

I suspect the Wisconsin maps will get a good looking-at, too.

23 Likes

Garland is doing nothing, WAH!

/whinyass titty baby

17 Likes

FINALLY! This is great news and Congress needs to act immediately to assist the DOJ on this. Arkansas is doing the same thing as Texas on redistricting as are many other states. If Democracy is to survive the government MUST protect voting rights.

16 Likes

About damn time!

Never should have taken the southern states off of preclearance

30 Likes

Especially since the WISC has already stated the maps are fine as they are and donā€™t require amendment.

Wisconsin Supreme Court says it will make ā€˜minimumā€™ changes to redistricting maps (channel3000.com)

9 Likes

I think some people want him running a Star Chamber over there. Heā€™s more of a ā€œwheels of Justice grind slowlyā€ kind of guy. I have a sense of urgency about this kind of stuff, too, and I wish in my partisan soul that he werenā€™t so beholden to precedent; but by and large heā€™s doing the right thingsā€“which is what we wanted after Trump, no?

25 Likes

No, heā€™s finally doing SOMETHING and theyā€™re actually informing the public about it instead of not saying anything.

A.G. Garland needs to keep us informed on these developments. Iā€™d love to know whatā€™s being done about Trump, Flynn, Stone, Bannon et al.

5 Likes

Merrrick Garland is a weak and ineffectual do-nothing who must be immediately replaced by Alan Grayson or whatever.

:roll_eyes:

35 Likes

Might want to adjust your snarkmeter?

7 Likes

Straw men are fun to slay.

1 Like

Nope. Itā€™s working just fine. Iā€™m just thankful to know something is happening on this front.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Texas is essential in this battle but there are plenty of other states in jeopardy right now. We need to see progress in all of these cases and the GQP needs to be put on notice that gerrymandering wonā€™t be tolerated. They havenā€™t gotten the message as of yet. Maybe this will help.

7 Likes

Thing is, weā€™re still racing the clock to get this done before the midterms.

6 Likes

Expand VRA to all states and territories!

15 Likes

Great idea!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available