Discussion: Steve King Shares Meme Speculating About 'Another Civil War'

[quote=“pluckyinky, post:113, topic:85734, full:true”]

I think you are spot on. The more subtle (for lack of a better word) signals were seen as ways to goad their base, but not something that THEY really believed. I think that any GOPers with half a brain or a smidgen of conscience who had used this method of leading the base are now dismayed and even frightened to find that the BASEST members of the base are leading them. “IT’s ALIVE!” Trump is the GOP’s Golem, but instead of being fashioned from clay…he is molded from shit and he is out of their control.

6 Likes

I once saw a documentary interviewing Kentuckians at a medical clinic whose lives were literally saved by ACA paying the costs, yet they were angrily against that damn Obamacare.

But we get that gun thing here in Pennsyltucky. Just remarked to my son yesterday about the cost of ammo my neighbor shoots off just about every day- “he must be rolling in the dough” (he isn’t). But I never give up on trying to convince my rural neighbors. Sometimes they actually listen and nod.

BTW, the graphic was deleted in the article. Restored:

1 Like

Note also, as usual, that states are (approximately) by land area rather than population…

2 Likes

This thing that King and fellow idiots who dream of a Civil War is that they dream of the day after the ware ends.

Never the carnage, nor the sacrifice in human casualties for either side.

I had a neighbor, born and raise in SC, who swore the Civil War was coming when Obama was POTUS.

I asked him one question…if troops in US uniforms showed up on your door step, would you shoot at them?
He said no.
I finished by asking… if someone was shooting at US troops, would you shoot at them to protect the troops?.
He said yes.

I then told him that if this was 1866, he just shot Confederate Soldiers.

Blank stare.

Theses guy dream of the outcome that will never be. That’s why they double down on the denial.

5 Likes

IIRC, on Bill Mahrer’s show, he showed a graphic about voters and their primary news source. Did not break each listing as to % Dem / Rep. 19% had Faux News. MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC were at 5%; NYTimes at 3%. His point was for Dems to go on Fox and “attack” the network head-on (segment was about DNC canceling debates on Fox).

Now, how effective that would actually be, I dunno. Perhaps introducing truth & facts into the RW bubble is necessary. However, it may be like injecting a not very good chemo drug into a stage 4 cancer patient: not likely to help

1 Like

It sounds good in theory. And maybe if the Dems stick to the more reputable types (Shep Smith or Chris Wallace), they might be able to get some of their message out.

But, Fox has no vested interest in broadcasting the Dem’s message unedited. Just look at the Professor who spoke at Davos who against the extreme consolidation of wealth in the world.
Ding dong tucker interviewed him and the Professor so got the better of tuck, that they didn’t air the interview.

3 Likes

Perhaps Rep. King should be reminded of Article 3, Section 3 of the Constitution.

1 Like

“Honest and passionate”? Surely this is a Foxism equivalent to “fair and balanced,” not Brazile’s own words. If she’s there to actually achieve something, she’s made the wrong move. On the other hand, if it’s a well-paid sinecure that she wanted, Democrats may as well forget about her.

1 Like

well … actually for King, the avoidance of genuine fighting has never been about age - it is simply that he has always been a chicken hawk - he never had the guts to fight when he was of draft age during Viet Nam - Squeamish Stevie - you know - the adamant anti-intellectual - the “Just say no - to education” phony was fully enrolled in an institution of higher learning in order to have a student deferment - funny thing - his pursuit if ‘higher education’ halted the instant he was no longer in peril of being drafted.

4 Likes

No argument from me about any of that. I agree. hahahaha

1 Like

I’d go along with Rep. King if we could limit the coming civil war to a duel with pop-guns in a remote, and apparently forgettable, corner of Iowa.

On most TVs, this app will do that. Enjoy! Not that I’m advocating such mayhem. :slight_smile:

A Twitter Blood Feud…

1 Like

I’ve been on some threads on FB with some SJW types who’ve said they think we’ll need to solve our problems with the ammo box instead of the ballot box.

They were Not Amused when I pointed out that the disempowered they claimed to champion would bear the brunt the hardest.

I got the sense they want to go this route for reasons not clear.

They are the left’s version of the alt-right IMHO.

Mental disorder isn’t partisan.

I still believe people want to respond to truth. I don’t think anyone is unreachable.

1 Like

I wrote about the rural problem - in a different context - over a week ago. It’s here: Discussion: Town By Town, Local Journalism Is Dying In Plain Sight

The bottom line is that there’s no easy fix for the long-term flight from rural areas, perhaps no fix at all. Those areas are increasingly less economically viable - ultimately for the same reasons the job market is slowly but constantly changing almost everywhere - as it always has - because of technology. At best, government policy can only lessen the pain of change, not prevent it.

The short-sighted NYT article offers some stopgaps. Similar though not identical measures could be used in other rural areas (and I happen to live in one). But “doing something” about this needs to be mixed in with all the other things that need to be done - slowing climate change, retraining urban workforces, updating infrastructure almost everywhere, rebuilding education at all levels, relieving urban and rural homelessness, making more affordable middle class housing available, etc. etc.

As long as the wealthy 1% continue to suck up all the money in this country, everyone else suffers - not just the unfortunate rural farmers. It’s impossible to improve almost anything on less and less funding. What the NYT article proposes is about as helpful as aspirin to treat cancer. I know this isn’t what Iowa people want to hear. But it’s the cold, hard truth.

1 Like

And certainly there is no way to fix the problem that will keep them happy. In Southern Georgia, some areas have been able to revitalize farms and maintain the businesses of their towns… are they happy? of course not, the new workers/consumers are all immigrants and now the “character” of the towns have changed.

The last one took some 620,000 American lives – almost as many as all of our other wars combined. And that was before machine guns, drones, and nuclear and biological weapons. I was about to say I can’t imagine what a nightmare a 21st-century civil war would be like, but then I remembered Syria.

A little OT, but not by much: I went to see “They Shall Not Grow Old” this weekend – the movie made from restored footage of WWI from Britain’s Imperial Archives. Impressive documentary of the experience of the average infantryman. Anyone who cannot be put off of the “glory” of war by that movie has no soul.

3 Likes

Perhaps it would be a haiku.

1 Like

This anti-American fuck needs to face a firing squad after due process and a speedy trial by a jury of his peers.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available