Discussion: Schumer Groups Omar’s Comments With Trump’s Praise Of Neo-Nazi Protesters In AIPAC Speech

When the Democrats try to be the all encompassing party and pulls PC horseshit like this, they fail horribly. This is the act of an apologist without a clue of how to unite a diverse group.

I am furious, not just because of this act but because it shows how little the Democrats have learned about how to lead.

We can do better than this.

7 Likes

Sounds like your are saying that Schumer’s loyalties lie with Israel and not USA…

2 Likes

Remember, kids, he’s the guy who gleefully threw working stiffs under the bus when he declared, “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia.” (That, of course, gave us Trump way more than anything the Russians could have dreamed up.) In other words, you’re not a bad Democrat for wanting better; Schumer is a bad Democrat for taking Democrats for granted…

3 Likes

Many critics of Schumer are equally Jewish and older than he is.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s so clear that she did not intend to be anti-Semitic, although her more recent remarks show more sensitivity to the complex issues of Israel and Palestine and Muslim relationships with Jews.

1 Like

All I was saying is that it probably wasn’t actually clear to Schumer. And let’s not forget that there are a lot of truly anti-Semitic folks in the world too. None of that, however, makes what he said OK.

When you use words like that you’re making assumptions about his motivations, just as he made assumptions about Omar’s. Again, that doesn’t mean accepting or approving what Schumer actually said. I guess my comments about his comments are assumptions as well, but I was just offering another possibility for where his motivations may lie.

2 Likes

Don’t start. It did not work the first time, or any other time.

Sure. People differ in their response to many things. The fact that some Jewish people of his age don’t react the same way doesn’t change anything about what I said about his apparent blind spot. AND, it doesn’t mean that what he said about Omar was OK, or that people should support him politically despite his problematic statements and votes.

1 Like

So this, as an example

is not an accusation of loyalty to Israel?

But don’t worry, I know that nothing will work with you.

2 Likes

I agree. Like most of the Republicans who likely have very negative feelings for Judaism but love the role Israel will play in the Rapture. Also, the ones who shout “Jews will not replace us” with tiki torches, but yet are deemed “very fine people on all sides” by the the totally fake Republicans Chuck is empowering with this nonsense.

3 Likes

For @cervantes no statement/action can be anti-Semitic if he can find a single Jews who agrees with that statement/action.

1 Like

I’m not worrying.

And yes, I agree that the comment you highlight does question Schumer’s priorities.

Unlike Trump and his very fine nazis, Ilhan Omar has demonstrated a capacity for self reflection about the impact of her words, which at worst have been clumsily phrased but earnest and valid grievances against the apartheid system in Israel. She regularly shows a desire to build bridges with people, and her mere presence in Congress shows America’s capacity for inclusiveness at its best. That alone places her well outside any grouping with Trump and his “very fine people.”

In the context of the increasingly violent and murderous Islamophobia in the US and around the world, it is such a profoundly idiotic and reckless thing to gang up on this good woman and draw more public ire against her.

Ilhan Omar is not the enemy, she is a bright patch in the crazy quilt of democracy. White nationalism is the enemy. Fascism is the enemy. And don’t fucking forget it.

6 Likes

Good, your are improving on Omar. Now list actions in favor of Israel that Schumer took with the full knowledge that such actions are damaging to USA.

2 Likes

I agree. The point was that your exposition of Schumer may have some holes in it.

Keep trying. You may never get there but the journey is its own reward.

1 Like

Why on earth would I bother?

There is plenty of criticism of Schumer that you can wade through on your own.

I enjoy educating people. But I also can figure out when someone is not teachable. So this comment mentioned your but it was not for your sake.

1 Like

@old_curmudgeon,

I think her response and her clarification makes it rather clear that her words are not animated by an antipathy towards Jews or Judaism. It’s also obvious, to me, that that is not true of many of her Republican critics who are utterly insincere in using this as a cudgel against her.

3 Likes

That @cervantes I know!
Accuse Schumer of loyalty to Israel. Refuse to provide any evidence. Deflect by referring to “criticism of Schumer” that exists somewhere in the world.
Completely in character.

4 Likes

Schumer, worry about your own house of Congress, let Pelosi manage hers, she’s far better at it.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available