Discussion: Schumer Groups Omar’s Comments With Trump’s Praise Of Neo-Nazi Protesters In AIPAC Speech

Are you asking me to provide “evidence” re your interpretation of a comment someone else made?

1 Like

Hmmm,

I wonder if that come up at all…

1 Like

The fact that Netanyahu is an unscrupulous liar?

Yes, it has come up many times!

Lots of projection here.

2 Likes

It seems to cloud the whole discussion of criticism of Israel equates Antisemitism, when the PM of Israel is making the argument that Hitler is very fine people.

1 Like

You defended the comment by implying it was acceptable because it did not insinuate Jewish loyalty to Israel – supposedly it only insinuated Schumer’s loyalty to Israel. So someone needs to provide evidence of Schumer’s loyalty to Israel. Otherwise the comment can’t be interpreted as anything other than what it is: an implication that Schumer is loyal to Israel by virtue of being Jewish.

2 Likes

Israelis have consistently voted to keep in power a party which practices ruthless apartheid at home and which blatantly undermines Democratic administrations and agendas here in the US. Until they change their tune, they do not have my support. As for Schumer, he’s doing fine undermining the Democratic party all on his own. Stay on message Chuck: “release the Mueller report.”

2 Likes

Schumer supported Israel in the 2014 Israel–Gaza conflict.[146] In March 2018, Schumer told AIPAC’s delegates that Israeli settlements in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, have nothing to do with the Israeli–Palestinian conflict.[147][148]

Schumer is a co-sponsor of a Senate resolution expressing objection to the UN Security Council Resolution 2334, which condemned Israeli settlement building in the occupied Palestinian territories as a violation of international law. Schumer criticized President Barack Obama, saying: “past administrations — both Democrat and Republican — have protected Israel from the vagaries of this biased institution [UN]. Unfortunately, by abstaining on United Nations Resolution 2334, this administration has not followed in that path.”[149]

Schumer introduced a Senate resolution celebrating the 50th anniversary of the reunification of Jerusalem.[150]

In May 2018, Schumer praised President Donald Trump for opening the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem, saying “I sponsored legislation to do this two decades ago, and I applaud President Trump for doing it.” [151][152] He had previously criticized Trump, accusing the President of “indecisiveness” for his former delays in implementing the move by waiving the Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995, as previous presidents had done.[153]

He definitely has a Pro Israeli legislative history …

2 Likes

Trump thanks you for your support.

How well did that line of argument serve you in 2016?

And by the way, it was not AOC and company who got the House back, it was the moderates.

3 Likes

Omar has stated that she enjoys making people uncomfortable. Which causes me to wonder how much of the nature of this flap was intentional.

1 Like

Love me some Dwight…seen him 14 times in concert.

1 Like

You seem to be equating support for Israel with loyalty to Israel.

To accuse Schumer – anyone – of loyalty to Israel you need to show at least one of the following:

1. The person acted in Israel’s interests in violation of US laws.
  2. The person acted in Israel’s interests with knowledge/understanding that their actions will (or have the potential to) harm USA

Schumer’s actions you listed indicate support for Israel and one may disagree with some or all of them. However, nothing you listed indicates loyalty to Israel – unless support to Israel is equated with loyalty to Israel. And if it is – does support for any other country equate with loyalty to that country?

3 Likes

=)

thank you

2 Likes
1 Like

I agree with you that the Republicans are largely hypocritical. It may well be, and I hope it is, that Rep. Omar has a better understanding of the nature, effect and seriousness of anti-Semitism than she did before.

1 Like

About your last line:

Otherwise [someone else’s] comment can’t be interpreted as anything other than what it is: an implication that Schumer is loyal to Israel by virtue of being Jewish.

Is that your best understanding of the criticisms leveled against Schumer?

If so, let me set your mind at ease: It would be stupidity or worse to suggest that Jewishness alone can explain Schumer’s actions. Many Jews oppose him, and, as I have told you before, they are just as Jewish as he and you are!

And now, I’m sure, you’ll point me to any action that Schumer took in Israel’s interest which was either (a) in violation of US laws; or (b) undertaken with knowledge/belief that it will harm US interests.

Here you go again.

We were not talking about criticism of Schumer. We were talking about a comment that (implicitly) accused Schumer of loyalty to Israel. You defended that comment on the grounds that it was addressing Schumer specifically and not all Jews. For your defence to be valid, someone must provide a plausible rationale for such an accusation, rationale based on something other than Schumer’s ethnicity. You failed to provide that rational.

Who you calling “we,” kemosabe?

So now the goalposts are moved to “belief”?

Hmmm…

Strong arguments can be made that supporting moving the embassy to Jerusalem, supporting building housing on the West Bank, arguing against UN resolutions condemning such actions do absolutely nothing to advance US interests in the world, or rest of the region, outside of a narrow group in Israel. And indeed, actually hurt us with many other groups in the region.

It definitely harms our interests in being seen as a fair arbiter for peace in the region.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available