Discussion: Negotiators Say They Have Tentative Agreement To Avoid Another Shutdown

Just now heard on msnbc… $1.7billion for “border barriers” whatever that means. That is enough for about 55 miles of the border. That’s out of 2000 miles. California, Arizona and New Mexico are mostly “barriered” and that is about 650 miles.
Trump tonight in El Paso said the wall is under construction which is BS. It hasnot really even been funded. Maybe in his reality but not in the reality the rest of us inhabit.

7 Likes

I think it’s interesting that they announced it just before the rally was set to begin. Not a coincidence, I think.

4 Likes

I’m just wondering if a Wall will keep out all those slippery undocumented workers who somehow keep finding their way to work at various Trump properties. I’m deeply concerned because if this continues, people just might conclude he’s a massive hypocrite.

9 Likes
3 Likes

If only! Be still my heart.

Happy to hear the counter rally had deep support.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/article/As-Trump-makes-case-for-border-wall-in-Texas-13608273.php

@darrtown He apparently asked his mob to chant Finish that Wall instead of Build that Wall. The Ministry of Truth has weighed in.

7 Likes

In the Washington Post today, someone pointed out that ten air traffic controllers staying home was the straw that broke the camel’s back - forcing the temporary closures and delays at several airports that was quickly followed by trump approving the Continuing Resolution.

If trump is stupid enough to shut things down again, I think employees won’t wait quite so long before they start staying home. After all, it is ‘flu season’!

12 Likes

Remember when we had annual budgets?
Remember when a bill to raise the debt ceiling was a one page bill? I remember both of tjose things. But then I’m an old guy…

9 Likes

Those ICE beds are provided by contractors at $800 to $1,000 per bed per night(!).

So, over the next year, the reduction in beds more than covers the cost of the fencing.

6 Likes

Finish the wall?
Ok, well… lets see him build a wall in the middle of the Rio Grande… or fight ranchers for their land and river access for their cattle. The river does not follow anything like a straight course either. And trump’s base have zero idea what the border is like anyway.

6 Likes

What’s the point of this? The only reason the government shut down this time was because Trump needed hostages for leverage, period. So this is all just an overly complex method to take away one of Dumb Donny’s most terrible toys without outright admitting that’s what we’re doing.

Granted, I totally think we need to abolish government shutdowns and budget ceilings, because many conservatives see them as weapons and goals due to their complete ignorance of everything. I just think it’s a farce that they won’t admit Republicans are scared of Trump and nobody is really in control of their side at all.

6 Likes

A billion dollars for chicken wire. Back in my day, you could buy Instagram for that kind of loot.

4 Likes

The importance of this agreement is that once the bipartisan agreement is announced, it is another Trump shutdown should he block it. If he doesn’t accept it, then he is right back in the same painful situation that caused him to cry uncle to Speaker Pelosi. If it goes even further, and a bill passes congress with bipartisan support and he vetoes it, then he starts the next shut down in much worse shape. We know Pelosi won’t give and Trump will after he has dug a deeper hole for himself.

I don’t want a shutdown, I want compromise that keeps the government open. But if the Democrats need to fight again to make it clear to Trump and the Republicans that shut down politics is bad politics, then the Democrats are starting with an even stronger hand this time.

9 Likes

I’m not so sure about that one …

So, do turtles eat poop? The answer, based on my observation
yesterday, of a turtle in the “wild”, is that yes, turtles eat
 poop. (I also looked it up, and it does seem to be considered
 normal, a way for them to get trace minerals that they might
  not otherwise be getting.)
2 Likes
though, if they need a few more days, a temporary and technical
shutdown over the weekend wouldn’t have much of a real-life impact.

Uhh … really ? ? …

What fact set is that based upon ? ? …

cause if it’s really a ’ no biggie ’ …

why don’t we just do that EVERY fucking weekend ? ? …

2 Likes

This is actually the most important thing. The wall means nothing to him. It was just red meat for the orcs during the campaign. He must be able to claim a win. We have to deny him that opportunity.

3 Likes

Fatwad won’t veto. He’s had a few warnings from Yertle & Co. that there will be no more gratuitous fucking the Party of Treason.* Of course he’ll spin it as a win. But… what about the Hannity/Coulter/Limpbah axis? There’s where the hilarity might ensue, and in a few days he and the cult might need to downsize the ticker tape parade.

*because meanwhile, back at the tax season, they’re in enough trouble

5 Likes

More importantly, we have to wait until Fox and Coulter weigh in.

1 Like

When whatever it is is completed, people need to look at it and ask: 1. Wasn’t it supposed to go along the whole border, or most of it? 2. Wasn’t it supposed to be a 30’ concrete wall? 3. When is Mexico going to pay?
In fact, label the section “Trump’s Wall” with a big plaque, and inscribe these three questions on the pedestal below it.

2 Likes

Bizarro optics here. Congress had a deal back in December, but moron nixed it and Republicans in the Senate refused to provide a veto-proof majority. So whether or not government gets funded depends on moron, or the Republicans in the Senate overriding his veto. Are they now saying they have a veto-proof deal, or that whatever it is moron will go along with it? Otherwise it makes no sense to claim they have a tentative agreement to avoid another shutdown.

There is $1.375 billion for border barrier construction. Border barrier: is that a wall? There should not be a single cent for a wall. Nothing.

2 Likes

So , how much is Dumpy Doofus making out of the deal ? .

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available