Discussion: Negotiators Say They Have Tentative Agreement To Avoid Another Shutdown

1 Like

Meaningless statement until we know what in it, and/or if it will get enough votes to pass.

And if will pass, will it be by enough to override a Trump veto?

26 Likes

True about the veto override. Does McRuble have the votes and the spine to stand up to the abomination? Dubious at best.

11 Likes

Agreed. Do both parties have veto-proof majorities? Trump has said yes before, only to pull the rug from under both parties. I won’t believe it until the bill is signed.

21 Likes

An “agreement in principle.”

But Trump and most Republicans have no principles.

Let’s see what the former reality TV show host says in El Paso … or on Twitter later tonight or during “Executive Time” in the morning.

13 Likes

Trump would be crazy* to veto it, even if he didn’t get a cent for any “wall.”

He took the brunt of the blame for the first shutdown, even with McConnell running cover for him by blocking anything Trump hadn’t already agreed to from getting a vote.

If Congress sends a bill to his desk and he vetoes it, he owns the shutdown, and the backlash against this one is sure to be even more severe than last time.

*Trump may, in fact be mentally ill. Which means he may very well do something totally irrational and self-destructive.

35 Likes

Trump: I won. I got $15billion for my wall. Democrats are paying for all of it.

8 Likes

All in all, he’s just another prick with no wall.

36 Likes

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

No Virginia, he’s not in blackface.

6 Likes

Of course, when you’re Donald Trump, wasting other people’s money is no big thing.

8 Likes

I don’t think he’ll veto, the optics are just too bad. Last shutdown McConnell ran interference for him by preventing any bill from reaching him until he caved. This time he’s on his own.

OTOH Trump’s Razor, what’s the stupidest thing he could do…

32 Likes

Agreed. Couple that with the anger over reduced tax refunds and I suspect he could start to see some erosion of even the Republican base. You’re right, though, that he’s a crazy person and the erosion of support may not even matter to him as long as he feels like he’s being a big strong man.

23 Likes

What are the odds that Donnie just blows the whole thing up in his rally tonight, just because he’s pumped by the crowd and wants a cheer from them? Or because he’s pissed that Beto’s rally across the street is bigger than his?

15 Likes

I want to know what this deal is, and if Speaker Pelosi has green-lit the deal. The last I heard, the Dems were agreeing only to repairing existing barriers, no new construction. That’s a CRITICAL line in the sand. Trump can not be allowed to spin this as a “win” for his border wall, so we can kill off once and for all, this stupid hostage-taking tactic.

I read the dickering over ICE detention beds as minor, compared to that. Reining in ICE is important, but not as important as denying Trump a “win” over the shutdown.

If the Dems have agreed to one measly foot of new barrier construction that can be spun as fulfilling the “wall promise,” then I am going to start throwing things.

6 Likes

…still needs to pass both chambers of Congress — and win over President Trump,

Fuck tRump. If it passes both chambers that SOB is going to sign it. If he’s stupid enough not to and shuts down the government, or pulls a “national emergency” out of his ass, then the bastard is going to get gutted.

9 Likes

Have they run it by Ann Coulter yet?

18 Likes

Yes. I agree. McConnell ate one shit sandwich for him, he won’t eat another.

8 Likes

Ah yes “Trump’s Razor”; Given two stupid choices, the one that causes the most damage to the image of the USA is the correct choice. QED

9 Likes

And one more thing… I read somewhere today that one of the Dem negotiators was saying that one reason they wanted to keep any barrier offer to 2 billion or less, is that there are only 7 months left in the fiscal year. So Trump can’t possibly spend more than that, until new funding is authorized for next year.

That is such a STUPID argument! Trump should get no money because 1) the entire idea of a wall is laughable, and 2) the shutdown tactic must not be encouraged. Period.

6 Likes

This is about Mitch McConnell. If Trump BELIEVES THAT McConnell has the votes to override, he will sign…The optics would be very unbecoming for Trump.

On the other hand, if McConnell wavers or does not deliver on standing up to him, Trump will believe he has a hostage situation which he can exploit at will.

The welfare of the country?

Trump cares not. If fact he is enjoying the pain.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available