Discussion: Negotiators Say They Have Tentative Agreement To Avoid Another Shutdown

Agreed.

Rule #1 - Don the Con’s promises are like the man himself: An empty suit full of hot air. He will break them at any time for any reason or no reason at all.

Rule#2 - Any questions see Rule #1.

5 Likes

I think Trump wants a shutdown. After he folded he immediately started saying that no suitable deal would be reached. Today he transitioned to saying any new shutdown would be the Democratic party’s fault. So he uses the interim period here to cleanse himself of any culpability and goes to the “emergency” measure saying he gave Congress a chance but only he can save the day.

9 Likes

Trump’s just going to lie and say he won and that “the wall” is getting built, no matter what the bill says. He’s already convinced his idiotic supporters that construction on “the wall” is well underway – hence the banners at his rally that say “finish the wall.”

I think Trump knows full well he’s never going to get anything like the continuous 30’ concrete and/or steel wall that he sold to his xenophobic base. Not even close. But getting it isn’t really the point. The point is whipping the xenophobic base into a frenzy of fear, hatred, and authoritarian followership.

The sweet spot for Trump’s appeals to the xenophobic base is a kind of balance point between “the borders are wide-open, we’re all in terrible danger, the barbarian hordes are rapidly approaching” and “but The Wall is getting built, very, very rapidly, we’re winning, we just need to keep it up.”

So while the shutdown does inevitably take the form of hostage-taking, the underlying crime Trump is pursuing is more like the Long Con.

15 Likes

Don’t forget the increasing number of farm bankruptcies due to his trade wars.

7 Likes

There is no day to save. Especially if he tries the emergency route.

5 Likes

Trump is going to hop in Air Force One and fly from El Paso to Mexico City and convince them to pay for the wall…

1 Like

They’re going to impeach him?

1 Like

That is the real question, but I am so sick and tired of this framing that “Trump must approve legislation.” That is exactly why the Constitution mandates veto power for the Congress; we do not live in a monarchy or dictatorship…yet.

10 Likes

Trump will scuttle it just like he did the last one. Just watch.

Key items in this “deal”, 55 miles of new bollard fence, and a reduction in ICE detention beds.

6 Likes

It’s his bleedin’ only business model ever. Even when the money was daddy’s.

9 Likes

No bricks for Fat Donnie’s wall?

1 Like

And 3) Mexico are paying.

1 Like

All Trump has to do is reject the deal, to take full responsibility for a 2nd shutdown.

And Congress full well knows this.

2 Likes

Right! How soon we forget. :laughing:

2 Likes

CNN is reporting:

• $1.375 billion for physical barriers (bollard fencing)
  • 40,520 level for overall ICE beds (down from current 49,057 level)

Bollard fencing is the new name for steel slats, I guess. If Speaker Pelosi approved that, and it’s new construction, then she went back on her promise of no money for a wall. I’m waiting to hear more. And Trump will never go for this anyway.

1 Like

OT, but I don’t see an article here concerning this. Democrats should use this, because there’s going to be a lot of pissed off voters. Middle class folks are seeing dramatically reduced tax refunds. The reason is OBVIOUS.

In order to sell the Trump “tax cut”, the GOP:

1. Permanently reduced the “wealthy” tax rate,
  2. Temporarily reduced the “middle class” tax rate,
  3. Significantly reduced the “middle class” withholding rate,
  4. Resulting in a much smaller “middle class” tax refund.

The “middle class” tax payer initially thought they were getting a significant tax reduction because of the positive change in their pay check, but reality hit home when they just found out their tax refund was dramatically reduced.

This is essentially the same thing as a political shell game.

The Democratic party would be wise to inform middle class taxpayers how they have been tricked. Let the voter focus their anger on the GOP/Trump.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Bollards to stop those, “stronger, bigger, faster vehicles than ICE has . . .”

2 Likes

Never Mind the Bollards, Here’s the Steel Slats

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available