Discussion: Negotiators Say They Have Tentative Agreement To Avoid Another Shutdown

Bollards are nothing like steel slats. They are effective at impeding vehicles, not individual people.

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/site/reliance-foundry/images/gallery/heavy-bollards-san-jose-diridon-station-large.jpg

4 Likes

But will he sign it ?

I think Trump wants a shutdown.

I agree.

Reason No. 2: He thinks it makes him look tough.
Reason No. 1: He gets to inflict pain on others.

2 Likes

I am sure that Bonnie Prince Fat Ass and the Dowager Empress of South Carolina will fuck everything up. Have fun, Mitch and the GOP. Better put that Senate proctologist on alert for when Trump shoves this up your sorry butts again.

Neither the House nor the Senate have any stomach for another shutdown. If McConnnell allows a vote, it will pass the Senate and House comfortably. Trump will then have to decide if he wants to veto it. If he does, then the question is can the Congress override. My guess is, it can. Trump will know this and wonā€™t veto. Instead he will declare a bogus emergency. Maybe he will take money from defense.

3 Likes

Traitor McConnell may be sweating his tiny balls off about he and the GOP getting their asses kicked if thereā€™s another shutdown, and may force a veto override if necessary, but who can predict what the ā€œFreedom Caucusā€ miscreants like Meadows and Gym Jordan and their followers will do in the House. They donā€™t care about government workers or the rest of the American people. They just like to blow things up. They blow things up REAL good!

Cudos for the rhythm in Pink Floydā€™s ā€œWallā€

And then Donnie went on stage and announced that he heard there was a deal but didnā€™t bother to read the summary because why bother since heā€™s going to do what he wants to do anyway.

1 Like

While I hope you are right, that wonā€™t happen until the evangelicals begin to abandon their leadership which is bound and determined to shove their religious views down the throats of a majority of Americans.

2 Likes

The cowardly GOP are on their knees with their hands over their heads begging not to be taken hostage by a man with a gun carved out of soap.

1 Like

is it? where can I find reliable stats? not challenging you spectre, just want some good news this morning - BBC had a piece on insect die - off that made me severely depressed

1 Like

same with McConnell - and to think, he could get all the right wing judges he wants under Pence, and still he supports the traitor from jan 2017 onwards

1 Like

not mentioned at the rally last night for some reasonā€¦

that would be nice wouldnā€™t it. also, if the media bothered to interview them about it

1 Like

questions that will never be asked by ABC, CBS, or NBC news

1 Like

In retrospect, ā€œcongressional negotiatorsā€ might have been smarter to work directly on Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, and the rest. Trump does what his teevie tells him to.

1 Like

And the wildlife would appreciate it, too!

1 Like

From NPR:

According to NBC News, Oā€™Rourkeā€™s team said there were about 7,000 people at his rally and mile-long march beforehand, per law enforcement. And Bloomberg News reported that Oā€™Rourkeā€™s rally had been estimated at 10,000 to 15,000, according to local police. At various points during his own rally, Trump claimed that 69,000 people had RSVPā€™d and that fire marshals allowed 10,000 people in with ā€œtens of thousandsā€ still watching outside. But NBC News reported that Trumpā€™s rally was at its 6,500 capacity with 10,000 to 12,000 watching outside or in overflow areas, per the local police and fire departments.

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/12/693773455/trump-took-fight-for-border-wall-to-el-paso-where-orourke-was-ready-for-him

From the El Paso Times:

Trump thanked the El Paso Fire Department for getting 10,000 people in the El Paso County Coliseum, before noting the crowd that gathered outside for his rally.

ā€œTens of thousands of people are watching the screens outside,ā€ Trump said.

However, a Fire Department spokesman said 6,500 people were inside the venue and denied any special accommodations were made. Several thousand, though, were outside the Coliseum, watching the presidentā€™s speech on big screens. There were no official estimates, though.

An Oā€™Rourke spokesman said about 8,000 attended the counter-rally. However, the El Paso Police Department told the El Paso Times that officers had made no official estimates.

2 Likes

I am nearly innumerate - this means that 45* 's rally was bigger right?

1 Like

It sounds like Betoā€™s rally in-person was larger because of the occupancy limit on trumpā€™s venue (6,500 versus estimates ranging from 7,000 to 15,000) - However, there were additional people watching trumpā€™s rally from remote sites and we arenā€™t sure of that count, so trump may have had more ā€˜warm bodiesā€™ than Beto when those remote sites are counted.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available