Discussion: Justices Weaponize Redistricting Reform Against Partisan Gerrymandering Foes

I congratulate you on your ability to get that (completely accurate) one word sentence past spellcheck.

6 Likes

Yeah that fat Opus Dei fuck was the champion of diversity. And I’m the Queen of the Gypsies.

6 Likes

5 Likes

And P.s. remember how Hillary was a corporate hack and Trump would be no worse, so best to just vote for the person you believe in or not at all as a protest, not to keep the other guy out?

Maybe if Clinton had actually visited Wisconsin at least once after the convention the state would not have given its electoral votes to Trump.

Can we please stop blaming everybody but the candidate for the candidate’s loss? You’re not actually helping the situation in any tangible way. All you’re doing is feeding your sense of superiority. Blaming the public for not acting in exactly the same way you act is a dismal and doomed approach to analyzing voter behavior. And you’re certainly not going to persuade anybody of anything, other than your arrogance.

Somehow I knew a story about how Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are terrible justices would result in somebody yet again taking a useless potshot at voters.

1 Like

so one potential solution may be for states that employ various methods of independent redistricting to enact measures against states that do not measure up to a certain standard of access for their state’s voters.

not sure how that could be done, perhaps levy a fee on businesses that are based in non-independent commission states unless they relocate to your state

I know there are holes, but there’s got to be some measure that can be enacted.

We’re long past the point when districting is happening by computers. It’s imperative to use an understanding of mathematics to develop acceptable criteria identifying and eliminating gerrymandering.

If we don’t do that, the same computers will be deliberately used to gerrymander.

3 Likes

So who will explain it to Trump?

3 Likes

Republicans are so much smarter then Democrats: gerrymander the state districts, then claim states can do their own voting rights reform when the gerrymandering comes before SCOTUS bc legislative remedy is impossible.

Too bad that they’re generally more corrupt also

1 Like

In that case they came through for the insurance industry.

Defending Obamacare isn’t exactly defending liberalism. Mandating that citizens buy a product from the private sector is a right-wing idea.

6 Likes

Fuck that. People are responsible for their actions and if they cannot accept that responsibility then they forfeit any right to complain.

1 Like

Speaking of the moon, this is when I wish I believed in astrology – my friend sent me this from the Saturn Sisters:

If you’re freaking out about Barr’s memo on the #MuellerReport, take a deep breath. It dropped four days before the end of #MercuryRetrograde, while the planet of communication is sloooooooowwww AF and stationing direct. Mercury was also conjunct Neptune in Pisces today! NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS; IT’S ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS. We’ll learn a completely different narrative as soon as next week, but certainly after Mercury passes out of the shadow phase of the retrograde in April. Stay tuned and stay calm.

6 Likes

No, it’s not evil or wrong. But it’s a waste of time and energy.

You don’t have to believe in astrology, astrology believes in you.

3 Likes

In fact, redistricting is being done by computer now. It takes thousands of hours of calculation to figure out the exact boundaries that are most favorable to republicans.

Oh, you meant with a fair algorithm. Silly me.

3 Likes

Oh good. We can harvest their organs!

2 Likes

You don’t have to believe in astrology, astrology believes in you.

I do have a pretty good ability to spot other people who are the same zodiac sign as me!

2 Likes

Exactly. A lot of that stuff may seem like mumbo-jumbo, but it sure hits on something. I can instantly match and be lifelong friends 5 minutes after meeting someone from my zodiac sign…

Married one of the wrong signs, sure enough, divorce came shortly after.

2 Likes

The people who got elected thanks to a broken and unfair system think that the system works just fine.

They would probably also think the system worked fine if they didn’t have primaries and their opponents weren’t allowed to advertise.

It’s amazing to me that Roberts actually said this. Congress exists to serve the people, not the other way around.

1 Like

One of my dearest friends, a former boss, has the exact same birthday I do, but was born 18 years earlier. I agonized about taking that job, because I didn’t want to move, but I knew right away he’d be a fantastic boss. (I, on the other hand, would be a crappy boss – some of the planets moved into a less-managerial alignment with the passage of time.)

3 Likes

See for that, you’d have to move past astrology to numerology. It’ll likely be in your birthyear that the differences in management abilities arise.

(I’m not a weirdo, specifically, just used to work with a couple of them who were really into that stuff, and could talk about it for hours… some parts I retained)

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available