Discussion: Justices Weaponize Redistricting Reform Against Partisan Gerrymandering Foes

I’ve already admitted it’s my guilty pleasure so I totally get that.

The forecasts are largely hooey but they are totally someone’s subjective take on the data.

1 Like

Great! April 5th is my last day of jury duty and my B-day is earlier that week!

Are they counting Sunday? 4 days would make it tomorrow, I thought it was Thursday, but I’ll take HUMP DAY!

3 Likes

Yeah, I never pay attention to those.

But things like the traits, compatibility, all that, those have something to them.

3 Likes

They do and even some old time OBs who delivered a lot of babies agree with that - they could see similarities in babies and children born in the same months. I read a couple of articles where they talked about it.

It’s always hard to know which comes first - the object of the perception or the perception that then frames the object. But it’s instinctive for us to see patterns and I take a lot of delight in some patterns and the character traits of the astrological signs is a pattern I enjoy.

2 Likes

I think that you meant Al Gore-isms.

2 Likes

And 100% of Kings are in favor of the Divine Right of Kings.

1 Like

I was born almost two weeks late and in the middle of the night… I’ve been a night owl my whole life and consistently run late unless I make a supreme effort…

2 Likes

:laughing:

That’s funny. Most people I know favor the season they were born in. I was born in the fall, it’s my favorite season and it seems to follow pretty well, although not always.

2 Likes

Early winter. And while I’m not in love with the cold, I can function fine in it, but am absolutely dead in heat-- could never live in Texas, for example.

1 Like

It sucks.

I haven’t spent a summer or fall here since 1999. It’s unbearable.

2 Likes

Remarkably, it was already in my dictionary. Spellcheck waved it through.

4 Likes

:laughing:

Ha, I was born around 8 a.m. and my mom, normally an extreme morning person, went to the drive-in with her friend the night before I was born so got home around midnight. I would rather stay up til 8 AM than get up at 8 AM.

Although that could also be genetics, the family tree is riddled with night owls and insomniacs.

2 Likes

That’s just as bad a trope as the things you are inveighing against. Russ Feingold (a popular former Democratic senator) was leading in the polls alongside Clinton up until the last week or so when the Comey letter dropped. If Clinton was responsible for failing to win Wisconsin because she didn’t campaign there, why did Feingold suffer as well (presumably he was campaigning in WI during the election)?

If all it took was campaigning in the district, Feingold should have won while Clinton should have lost. And she did campaign in Pennsylvania which she also lost, so the whole theory is utterly ridiculous. In reality, it was likely a perfect storm of bad press from the Comey nonsense and voter suppression that did Clinton in in WI and PA and that wound up dragging Feingold down too.

5 Likes

I had never thought about that before – I’ll have to start noticing. It definitely holds true for me, I was born during the dog days of summer and I’m good all the way to about 104 and start shivering if it’s below 70 outside. My cousin was born in February and she wilts if it’s over 65.

2 Likes

:smile:

OPT, but

“Read The Article Not Just The Headline”

Jeet: That Daily Beast article links to a WaPo article with a headline that is different, but pretty much just as bad. There is absolutely no length ANY of the MSM’s “news” outlets will go to in order to protect the plutocrats that own them. The false narrative of internal Dem strife over the costs (political and financial) of “liberal policies” is apparently acceptable to fabricate even for the “news” sources we consider our allies.

2 Likes

Those are words. I understand all those words individually, but together, I get about as much sense out of them as “Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.”

Exactly. And that is going to tend to perpetuate the problem, as I hope Justice Roberts is suggesting he understands. A party gets power in the legislature and then uses that power to grossly skew the district lines to give them a disproportionate majority. And they can then use that disproportionate majority to vote down any attempt to reform the line-drawing process. Same with Congress as with the state legislature. Republicans have more seats in the House than they ought to have because of the skewed way district lines have been drawn in Republican-controlled state legislatures (which is most of the states). So if only state legislatures or Congress can remedy the problem, Democrats are screwed unless demographics shrinks the GOP to a very small minority of voters.

A piece I heard on the radio on the NC redistricting said that in terms of registered voters, the state is split pretty evenly between Republicans and Democrats. But the Congressional delegation is split 10 Republicans to 3 Democrats. And if you don’t think that’s almost entirely due to extreme partisan gerrymandering, take a look at how they have drawn the 12th district (which was first added after the 1990 census) ever since it first appears. (It’s the district in hot pink on the map here).

The CPVI rating of the 3 Democratic districts are 2 districts D+17, the third is D+18. Packing squared.

3 Likes

Thank you for that clarification. It always drives me a little bit crazy when slave states are given the entire blame for that formulation. The full truth is that the 3/5 formula was borrowed from a compromise that was made in drawing up the Articles of Confederation, except that there the issue was taxation, and the positions of the states with large numbers of slaves vs those with fewer slaves (because all of them had some at that point) was reversed. Taxation was apportioned among the states based on population, and the states with large slave populations didn’t want slaves counted toward their tax apportionment at all, while states with relatively few slaves felt that would give them an unfair proportion of the tax burden. Somehow they settled on giving slave populations a weight of 3/5 toward counting the total taxable population. When the same issue about how to count slaves came up at the Constitutional Convention in 1787, that 3/5 compromise was a fairly easy one to sell, since they had all agreed on it before.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available