Discussion: Justices Weaponize Redistricting Reform Against Partisan Gerrymandering Foes

2 Likes

The “framers” didn’t have iMacs.

Redistricting should be done by computer.

14 Likes

Same disingenuous shit as Roberts claiming we don’t need the voting rights act because we live in a post-racism society.

41 Likes

Fuggeddabout it. What few restrictions we now have on Gerrymandering will be gone by July. Just in time for 2020. The Democratic majority was nice while it lasted…

11 Likes

OT, but nope…

“How Watergate Could Give Congress A Look At The Unredacted Mueller Report”

The litany of differences will be used by the Fascist Five to agree with Barr’s arguments that in this special situation, everything should remain secret.

6 Likes

I want to read the actual transcript to see how accurate this is, but as it points out (a) three conservatives (Roberts, Thomas, Alito) all voted that redistricting commissions were unconstitutional, and (b) only 27 states allow citizen’s amendments/propositions, and as such there is not a way to enact reform outside of the (stacked by redistricting) political branches. These are facts that KAV and Gorsuch know (or should know) and as such their beating on this line, suggests that they are not judges, but political actors, repeating obviously made up (and political) assertions.

Its one thing to say “its a problem, but its not our job, the constitution gives this to the states” that is a (wrong in my opinion) but legitimate position to take, but to basically repeat easily debunked arguments about a lack of an issue, suggests an outcome oriented approach.

Not surprised, but it goes to show (if the reporting is correct here) that both KAV and Gorsuch are political tools, not judges.

And P.s. remember how Hillary was a corporate hack and Trump would be no worse, so best to just vote for the person you believe in or not at all as a protest, not to keep the other guy out?

P.S.S. this is a good article from the best known blog on the supreme court. Worth a read for anyone wanting some further discussion. https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/03/argument-analysis-justices-divided-and-hard-to-read-on-partisan-gerrymandering/#more-284201

25 Likes

Brett and Gorsuch will do what is best for themselves and their rich republican buddies and NOT the country. Both are worthless and nobody in the country should be “ruled” by these two dopes.

14 Likes

Partisan GOP “justices” like gerrymandering that helps the GOP retain minority rule by the Republican Party. How unsurprising.

17 Likes

Beginning to look like we’ll be full blown fascist in no time. Can we even make it to Thursday?

18 Likes

Anyone with an IQ above 50 knew that.

10 Likes

So basically, we have some on SCOTUS stating that a few indviduals in states have the right to block their citizenry.

It has been 9 years since (4) of NC districts were declared drawn illegally with race as a factor, still not fixed…because a few in the state. An essay I read several decades ago explained that the Justice System fails when one side refuses to be educated on what is causing the injustice. It appears to me, we have some going out of their way to ensure the Judicial Branch Fails.

18 Likes

“Algorithms have a Liberal Bias”

23 Likes

Chief Justice John Roberts expressed skepticism. “I suppose the members of Congress are pretty happy with the way the districting has been done.”

The people who got elected thanks to a broken and unfair system think that the system works just fine.

Well, duh.

I mean, “duh with all due respect, your Honor.”

21 Likes

Well of course…they want an excuse to punt this one yet again.

Though I am personally interested in seeing what sort of gymnastics Kavanaugh comes up with to rule against Maryland but for North Carolina. I am expecting Olympic level stuff that would put some of Scalia’s most hypocritical bullshit to shame

23 Likes

Some of the “framers” did own 3/5ths human beings, however.

13 Likes

An obvious Catch-22: We should let legislators address the problem, because if people want to eliminate anti-democratic gerrymandering, they will elect representative who promise to do that. But the existence of anti-democratic gerrymandering insures a disconnect between the popular will and how legislators vote.

18 Likes

“Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh on Tuesday both brought up the push in several states to create independent redistricting commissions and other measures to limit legislators from drawing extremely unfair maps.”

Can’t wait until Gorsuch and Kavanaugh vote to strike down those exact same “independent redistricting commissions and other measures,” as soon as the GOP challenges them all the way to the Supreme Court.

The naked, Republican hypocrisy – as always – will be awesome!

38 Likes

Michigan just passed redistricting reform last November, in the form of an independent redistricting commission. The Michigan constitution of 1963 had an independent commission, but that was declared unconstitutional 17 years later in 1980 because the members were chosen from geographic areas, unequal in population (one per party per district.) The gerrymandered legislature could have passed an independent commission law anytime in the intervening 38 years, but chose not to for some reason.

Using independent commissions as an excuse to punt is an extremely bad faith argument.

18 Likes

It’s a bad idea to predict what the court will do.

5 Likes

I think what They are saying, and we should listen to them, is vote out the GOP in order to have fair elections.

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available