Discussion: Hatch Walks Back Remarks On Hush Payments: Those Comments Were 'Irresponsible'

Fuck him. He’s past his use-by-date. By about 30 years.

2 Likes

I actually think 80 is a more than reasonable cut off point.

5 Likes

“Do we need an age cap on congress critters?”
In a word, yes.

2 Likes

Again, you have to look at the individual. I tend to harp on this a bit. I came to a conclusion some time back that a lot of the discussion of old versus young has been a purposeful process of further dividing us. Yes, aging can have nasty effects, but a great deal of what people get upset over derives from the time and place people came from how that influenced their opinions and character. And in that case, there are obvious opposites as well between good and bad.

4 Likes

Agreed, with the stipulation that one shouldn’t be older than 76 when running for senate because s/he would turn 80 before her/his term is over.

Same for president.

[cough] Bernie [cough] :joy:

5 Likes

Yeah it works for me - I think that’s way too old to run for national office.

3 Likes

What is the cutoff age for a judge?

1 Like

I’m at 65, if not younger. I’m well past 65.

1 Like

I think a cognitive competency test would be appropriate regardless of age. That might weed out a sizable chunk of the GOP.

6 Likes

Yes, exactly. Absolutely. A bipartisan, independent evaluation done prior to any campaign with full disclosure of any mental decline or aberration. That would shake a lot of turned fruit out of the tree.

[And the candidate has the right to step out before it is released]

4 Likes

Alas, I wish it were not so, but my very much NOT demented mother is always reaching for her glasses there or not. :sob:

If he was dimented he would not have responded to the same question in a reasoned manner as he was pressed several times. What eventually happened was his filter broke down and he said what he thought which is “this guy is from my party, I don’t care what he is doing, I’ll support him against the Democrats”

If this was the FIRST time it’s happened lately Orrin we may chalk it up to you leaving, age, etc. etc. HOWEVER, you have been a toady to Trump the last two years and lash out at everyone that questions him. Cohen may be a criminal but he is firmly in bed with Trump. If you have learned NOTHING in the last two years, it’s that Donnie NEVER relinquishes control…no matter how much you want to pretend it is.

2 Likes

As a 70 year old who can still teach everyone the grad school mathematics, I resent all the remarks here that attribute his idiocy to age.

Some people are intrinsically idiotic. And evil. Age has nothing to do with it.

7 Likes

Maybe next time…think before you speak. I would have thought you’d have learned that about 80 years ago.

2 Likes

Most people with dementia aren’t totally demented 100% of the time either.

He put those phantom glasses on his face. And I’ve seen him at a total loss until an aide told him what to say but I am not going to insist I know everything. I just know how it looks.

4 Likes

I agree. These old farts don’t have anything to look forward to and shouldn’t be making policy for those who do.

Or some Snatch Snaffler

Plenty of people are riled up over the perception of ageism but that’s not the intent (nor is it anything I’ve written!)

The military has maximum age limits for people to enlist. There are exceptions, some of which are based on prior service. But no branch of the military will take any new enlistee beyond the age of 40 although I’m sure tens of thousands of people in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s are in better physical shape with higher mental acuity than people far younger.

As for tests, it would have to be extensive and over the course of several days, at different times of day and include drug testing. Just because BLOTUS was able to tell a rhino from a giraffe and find a drunk Dr. Feelgood, Ronny Jackson, to declare him mentally fit doesn’t mean he is.

But we’re talking about Hatch here and he’s clearly not mentally competent to hold office. It was becoming increasingly obvious with Reagan, too, toward the end of his term.

5 Likes

Well, on the bright side, senator-elect Romney’s toadying and Trump subservience will be much more subtle.

2 Likes

Yeah just like begging on the knees for the job of SOS which was very subtle indeed.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available