Discussion: Buttigieg Supporters Drown Out Hecklers Screaming About Sodom And Gomorrah

These days it’s Sodumb and Gomoron.

6 Likes

Sorry but i believe the reason the media has focused on Pete Buttigieg is not that they are “pushing” him at the expense of other candidates (male OR female) but because he has genuinely fascinated people with his intelligent and quiet demeanor, grasp of issues, ability to articulate progressive values in non-threatening and impossible-to-deny ways and his authenticity. When people respond the way they have to someone this surprising and real, the media just…follows. PLEASE avoid one-issue and/or “identity” politics. That will be what defeats us, in my view.

9 Likes

I agree with you. I’m simply saying that even if a woman was as intelligent and had the same demeanor and back story, she would not be getting the attention that he is getting. This is not “identity” politics; this is a simple fact of life. She would also be criticized much more for her speaking voice, appearance, personal life, etc. If you don’t think that’s true, you’re not being realistic.

1 Like

If she’s willing to be accessible as Pete, she’d be called a fame whore.

1 Like

Or at least be criticized for ‘overexposure’. I like Pete - I think he’s our best bet. He is brilliant, personable, mature, and incredibly impressive. I’m just so sick of the double standard that apparently will be with us for a very long long time.

3 Likes

Yup, I like him too but can’t help noticing some entrenched bias.

1 Like

Buttigieg’s recent interview on the Mother Jones podcast is really good. It shows a little more of his droll sense of humor – sometimes he veers toward “dad joke” territory, which I find endearing, because it reminds me of Obama.

He’s one of the few politicians who can get me to listen to any time I come across an interview. He thinks about things so holistically, which is what I liked when I first heard him during the DNC chair campaign.

I really want him and Warren to run together. They’re both policy wonks who are good at framing the issues, but she’s more solid on the policy side and he’s more of a natural on the stump. I was just noticing he uses “So…” a lot like she does, as a little verbal placeholder while formulating a response.

3 Likes

Person of Color

Thanks, much obliged.

Not to worry. If Mayor Pete keeps doing well, tRump will become the bigliest homophobe walking. No one will “outclass” tRump in any category of depravity; his malignant narcissism will take over… not that his personality disorder is ever in the off position.

3 Likes

If Harris is the nominee, she will likely pick some safe, solid white guy as her running mate, for optical balance. Being a bi-racial woman is pushing the delicate sensibilities of white America far enough.

You could imagine what Trump would do with his name. Archie Bunker Malapropisms galore.

We need a word stronger than irony and hypocrisy.

I am very impressed with the guy after hearing him. I was ready to write him off because of his being, you know, a millenial.

2 Likes

[quote=“justruss, post:50, topic:86919”]
I have tossed that around in my head a lot as well. Too much change at a point when this country is too fragile is a concern. But he seems to have a way. I went into watching his interview with that thought, walked away with a firm hmm… maybe. [/quote]

I have that same reservation even after seeing him in action. We have to win this election, and he will have trouble getting the votes of Blacks and Latinos if he made it to the general. Those are two communities that are behind the curve on LGBTQ acceptance, and we need their votes to win. I wish it were otherwise. Of course that probably means he can’t win the primary too, so maybe it’s a moot point.

He’d be a good VP behind Harris though. Would love to see him go up against Pence in the debates.

I think it’s more than the usual “likeability” aspect of charisma. He has a real talent for explaining complex topics in easily digested, everyday language.

Sometimes a highly intelligent person will come across in a way that puts people off, and he doesn’t do that. He’s mastered the art of sounding like the proverbial guy you’d like to have a beer with, and not a Brainiac (which he obviously is).

3 Likes

*I honestly do not see Pete boasting of “outsmarting” anyone. He doesn’t have to.

I agree. Truly intelligent people don’t go around telling others how smart they are. Only truly stupid people like Trump go around telling others how smart they are.

7 Likes

Several times, even, over the years. There are pictures to prove it, at least as far as physical presence is concerned. Like this one.

By the same standard, a cow can go to the Louvre, too.

But all it would think of the Mona Lisa is that it didn’t taste very good.

7 Likes

Tsk.

Concur. We are all going to have to do our part. The Millennials have a person in Buttigieg who is closer to their own age.

I am excited to see what happens with the effect that might have for youngsters.

2 Likes

Really, I have no touch on that factor so it is a new thought in the mix. One thing I wonder about is the blue collar set and how they would receive him. I can hear my old shop now. But times have changed a lot.

Not a bad idea.

No argument. But my concern is that all he can do? I do not know enough yet to see if his works are as good as his image. That sounds cynical but is simply where I am at in this moment. Basically, he sounds great, I want to know more and intend to do the digging.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available