Discussion: Buttigieg Supporters Drown Out Hecklers Screaming About Sodom And Gomorrah

For people who insist that they’re using only the literal words of the Bible, they’re leaving a whole lot out, and inventing a bunch of stuff that ain’t actually in there, ain’t they?

Sola scriptura my Aunt Fanny.

3 Likes

You mean Bernie doesn’t have the lock?

3 Likes

Hillary Clinton knocked the Puppet down and out in the debates.

2 Likes

Probably both.

Yes, she did. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m sure others have already said this, but this–

Buttigieg himself then addressed the hecklers. “You know, the good news is, the condition of my soul is in the hands of God, but the Iowa caucuses are up to you,” he quipped, pointing to his crowd.

–this is a guy so secure in his faith that not only can he talk about it in complete comfort without it sounding forced, he can rebut those who try to use the Bible against him by telling them something they cannot refute. “Not everyone who says, ‘Lord, Lord’ . . .”

3 Likes

When Trump got elected, I resolved that my cat would outlast his term. She’s 12. Lasting to 18 would be asking a lot. He’s got to go!

2 Likes

Not to nitpick but that’s a funeral and it doesn’t count.

4 Likes

Hey, if half-remembered old movies were good enough to build 80s foreign policy around…

1 Like

Yes.

This is a variation on something I’ve already posted, but it bears repeating: His faith isn’t a guise or something convenient to have at hand during an election. It’s intrinsic to who he is, but he’s not pinning his hopes on those beliefs, insisting that people vote for him because of them.

One last thing, and I’ll shut up: his response to the hecklers about the condition of his soul was both good doctrine and good politics–he reminds the hecklers something the Bible is filled with, that we cannot know the mind of God; and then, by saying that “the Iowa caucuses are up to you,” he makes it clear he doesn’t want his candidacy to become a kind of how-many-angels-can-stand-on-the-head-of-a-pin debate.

This devout Lutheran says, “Good on him.”

7 Likes

I’d also note that he’s not singing reciting the Apostle’s Creed.

(Thanks, @timorwig)

1 Like

Lutherans and Methodists do as well, and so do [hard not to laugh, but it’s indeed their denomination’s name] Primitive Baptists. There are probably other denominations that use wine as well.

He was not reciting (reading) the Apostles’ Creed. So it was church at that moment and he was clueless.

3 Likes

He was ignoring the Apostles Creed there, so it kinda was church.

1 Like

What are the demographics in South Bend? He won with 80 percent for reelection after he came out.

Yes–thanks. I’d forgotten that was what was going on.

Looks like the protester (or a protester) is back today.

click through for the video

1 Like

Well, so much for Mr. Pete Buttigieg. I’ve never voted for a Jesus-whipper and I’m certainly not starting now.

4 Likes

From one source: 60.5% white, 26.6% is black, 1.3% Asian, 4.2% mixed, 13% Hispanic or Latino.

I don’t think we can extrapolate from his 80% win in the second term to what might happen in a national general election for President. South Bend is a liberal-leaning city. According to Wiki - “Every South Bend mayor since 1972 has been a Democrat. As of July 2015, all but one City Council member are Democrats.”

For the Presidency, we need someone who can win over voters not just in the Midwest, and not just the liberal-leaning cities. It would be interesting to see how he polls in South Carolina and Florida, for example.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available