Discussion: Buttigieg Supporters Drown Out Hecklers Screaming About Sodom And Gomorrah

His book “Shortest Way Home” is a good read. It’s a book he has been working on since his first term as mayor – and, no ghost writer.

3 Likes

Perhaps they have not learned how to steal the oxygen.

2 Likes

Eventually the Evangelicals who want some sort of Christian Kingdom on Earth will lose. They always have. But often it takes the deaths of 10s of millions of innocents before the fever subsides.

“really, really”?
Anonymous sources vs. contradiction from people who were willing to go on record.
You sure have a great memory.

Harris is hanging in there but the others are having a tough time. I am pulling for her. I don’t want an octogenarian President.

7 Likes

I made the same comment a couple of posts up. A couple of important factors to consider though… First, homophobia is an issue in minority communities so whereas Obama was able to draw on an even bigger than usual vote from one of the cores of the dem base, that might not be possible for Mayor B. At best, it’s an open question, but this alone represents a pretty big difference. As for the rest of the Obama coalition - I think there were those that didn’t see him as a “real” black guy — nonsensical as that might be. I don’t think it is as cut and dry to say that Obama pulled it off so B can as well.

1 Like

The Limbaugh type talkers will soon be claiming the only reason liberals like Buttigieg is because he’s gay. They are worried. You can’t successfully play the morality card beyond the MAGAs when your guy is as “godly” as Donald Trump.

1 Like

Wait till she wins the CA primary.

3 Likes

This is where my dander gets up a bit. Until we stop breathing, we are all in it. Telling the older crowd to step back and let the youngsters do all the heavy lifting is another way of keeping generations separated and suspicious of one another. That stratification will kill us all in the end. I say each to their strengths, each to their experience. In all the induced schisms we have suffered, this one is the most subtle and seemingly acceptable.

1 Like

We may have to take him seriously, even if he does look like he’s still in high school.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m really impressed by him.
I especially love how he throws religion out there. For too long, our side has shied away from quoting scripture and bringing up God in the conversation. Which is fine with me because I am not at all religious and would prefer politics and government have some degree of separation. However, Republicans have held that card too many times, and it’s nice to see someone on our end playing it masterfully

Note, this is not suggesting Mayor Pete is playing a game and I did not mean any disrespect in my post. I just like no he is utilizing his faith in a positive and effective way.

I really like him. He’s relatable, smart, calm, rational and is quick on his feet. Two months ago, I’d never even heard of him. The guy has truly grown on me.

13 Likes

He has lots of support beyond the City of South Bend here in “red state” Indiana. I’m finding that around here, “gayness” is met with a shrug. It just isn’t much of a concern except among the people who wouldn’t vote for anyone, ever, that wasn’t a “Christian” straight white male.

5 Likes

I’m old, but I want to save the planet. I’ve done a little–signed up to get my electricity from renewable sources, bought a hybrid, which I drive little but gets 60 mpg. But I want society to do a lot more. So I haven’t checked out of the fight.

6 Likes

I don’t want an octogenarian president either, even though (if I make it) I’ll be an octogenarian before the next president’s term (unless its The Donald again, shudder) is up. But there are a lot of other non-octogenarians besides Harris. And many of them are very good.

1 Like

He has what someone said about JFK as being exactly what you want in a president, the same things Obama displayed that won me over: first class intellect, first class temperament.

4 Likes

Maybe? Look, obviously, I hope that you are right irrespective of his candidacy. I just have very, very little faith in the “true” morality of the average American. Look no further than the current *President who how many millions of Americans were unable to determine was a FAR FAR FAR and away worse choice than Clinton, who while not the best candidate most likely would have been a capable president. Anyway… I think the optics of Mayor B and his spouse are going to be a challenge for some people to get past. Would those people never vote for a straight, vanilla dem - I am not so sure about that.

I fear you are right. I really wanted to get behind Klobuchar, but if she treats people badly as a senator, what would she do as president? Being a senator is like playing AA ball compared to being in the White House.

1 Like

One of the things I like about Pete (someday soon, I’m going to have to learn how to spell his name) is that he does speak to Trump’s voters. But he doesn’t hide who he is or what he’s for when the does so. More than anyone in the race, he speaks to all voters. That makes him very attractive to me (despite his age and modest record, which are BIG points), because I feel we need someone who can begin to tear down the walls between us.

7 Likes

Or Dems are willing to walk away from a gift horse. Considering what happened it the midterms, it looks like they served their purpose, both women, and progressive and people are saying thanks but no thanks.

1 Like

Very David like president seems like to me.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available