Discussion: 1958 TV Show Had Conman 'Trump' Selling Mystical 'Wall' To Hysterical Townspeople

OMG, the show has Donnie down to the T, even with threats of suing!

5 Likes

That was pretty amazing. But then again it just shows how utterly unoriginal Trump’s con man routine is. He is like a caricature of a sleazy crook. But the rubes manage to be wholly taken in.

26 Likes

Well, this should keep the Internet busy all day.

15 Likes

WALLy.

This is all bogus. Sure, the episode aired in 1958, but it was planted by the same America-hating liberal time traveler that planted the phony Obama birth announcements in 1961.

22 Likes

That was my first thought when I saw the image - looks like Fred.

5 Likes

It has its roots in Jade Helm.

7 Likes

They will rain on the earth like pepper on an egg. :joy:

2 Likes

There’s our way out of the shutdown. No concrete wall, no steel slats - make Trump settle for a series of parasols with drawn-on mystical symbols.

7 Likes

The show has the extortion too!

1 Like

Well, the 1958 version also needs an add’l 150 pounds, triple chins and orange pancake makeup. To be fair, that 1958 version may be orange and it just doesn’t come thru in black and white…

6 Likes

humm…Dr. Walter Trump, … Wally?

1 Like

And let’s not forget the Simpsons’ parody of the episode, “Marge vs. the Monowall.”

1 Like

Holy Lord – Fred Trump looks like a creepy old puppet!

7 Likes

Oh yea!

When Donald finds something that works, well ok, when he finds something he understands, ok sort of understands, he sticks with it! The one in the show also needs a good comb over. The one in “reality” needs a drum to beat!

Wait…I like pepper on eggs!

2 Likes

I don’t know what I should be more surprised about? The fact that this episode exists, the fact that it took TPM so long to report on it when it’s been going around the internet for a few days already, or the fact that they gave credit to Gravity Falls creator and one of the best animated storytellers around, Alex Hirsch, for bringing it up.

1 Like

This TV show is only a year after the film A face in the crowd with the con man Lonesome Rhodes who meets his fate at the end when the masses catch on to his grift.
Say what you want about the conformist 1950’s there was a lot of this kind of questioning of authority. From books like the Organizational man and the Hidden persuaders which criticizes corporate culture to The Power Elite by sociologist C. Wright Mills which analyzes the ties between corporations, government and the military industrial complex. And of course the Beatniks. You could see how much of this gave rise to the 60’s revolution.

12 Likes

You’re clearly not a U2 fan! U2 used footage from this show in every show on their 2017 Joshua Tree tour. https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2017/may/15/u2-joshua-tree-tour-anton-corbijn-america-trump

7 Likes

Red or black?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available