DeVos Dodges On CDC Guidelines | Talking Points Memo

Remember, less than one percent of young children are going to die in public schools and if we work it right all the home-schooled and private school children of proper republican voters can come in under that, especially if we can get this vouchers for private schools thing worked out.

We just have to stop using liberal-based math and stick with trickle-down math.

4 Likes
14 Likes

It’s amazing how she sounds exactly like Kate McKinnon’s parody version, which captured the mindless true-believer stupidity perfectly.

Meantime in the states that handled this the administration’s way the virus is literally getting out of control.

18 Likes

And the bookcase looks like something generic and flat-packed from Ikea.

11 Likes

Blending into the woodwork so-to-speak.

5 Likes

Not Target, or Ikea bookshelves. Those shelves are fixed and not adjustable. She had them purposely built that way.
@ralph_vonholst can’t flatpack fixed shelves.

6 Likes

That plastic shield system isn’t enough, because kids interact with each other in many other ways besides sitting at desks. They walk down the halls, go to the restroom, eat lunch together. It just won’t work.

What would at least help, although not a complete solution, would be a switch to 50% at-home learning and 50% in-school on alternate days only. That would cut the class sizes in half, allowing desks to be spaced out, and reducing the number of kids in the building. Maybe even cut the in-person classes further, to 2 days a week, so kids get at least some class instruction and socialization while reducing transmission of the virus.

Of course this would require massive Federal assistance and funding, laptops for kids who don’t have them, and it doesn’t help parents without access to day care.

7 Likes

When asked during an interview on CNN Sunday morning about whether schools should follow CDC guidelines as they reopen — given how the agency has internally warned that the full reopening of K-12 schools would be the “highest risk” for COVID-19 spread — DeVos repeated the Trump administration’s argument that Redfield “has clearly said these are recommendations.”

To put it more simply, when asked if schools should follow CDC guidelines, the answer was “no.”

7 Likes

Classic FTD posture

5 Likes

Y’all still have school buses?? Ours were defunded out of existence years ago!

DeVos wants the public to fund private schools (where people like her school), charters (money-making for her friends, also union busting – it is a two-fer), and religious schools (we don’t need no stinkin’ science). While warehousing the poors in inadequate situtions that keep the underclass enslaved.

She is no better than her brutal, mercenary brother.

12 Likes

Their lack of beveled edges and trim leads me to think Target or Ikea - wealthy people can be cheapskates in certain areas. I’m sure that’s just some extra room in the house she sits in for these things so the criminal underworld doesn’t see her treasures.

6 Likes

Vampiric Feng-Shue

5 Likes

Get me a double jack sledge hammer and I’ll flatpack any of your furniture up a treat or two, mate.

5 Likes

burn

2 Likes

Indeed - the Netherlands is not the U.S. but we could do both. 50% with spacing, masks, lunches brought to the classroom, and shields. But we are not ready for any of that yet. Covid is too prevalent. Rather than focusing on opening businesses the Administration should’ve been looking at how to open schools safely. Nope, it was more important to get those bars, restaurants and gyms on-line. It is all upside down.

ETA: Our daughter’s boyfriend is a middle school band teacher in rural school district. On-line learning is not a good substitute for a band room.

4 Likes

In the past two months, Trump has played golf more times than he has met with Dr. Fauci.

18 Likes

Her lighting gives a “The flesh, eating zombies are just outside the door, I have to make this quick” feeling.

Of course the plot twist, she is the flesh eating zombie.

9 Likes

We can do the same but the results will vary. American Trumpian exceptionalism will see to that.

3 Likes

Instead of an “all hands on deck” approach against an out of control pandemic, they’re busy digging up oppo research on their own public health experts. You can’t make this stuff up, it’s so insane.

https://twitter.com/jmartnyt/status/1282307509953470465?s=21

WH staff sends an oppo file on Fauci over to @jdawsey1 !

“…attaching a lengthy list of the scientist’s comments from early in the outbreak”

9 Likes

Chiselin’ Trump is not going to be pleased by DeVos’s boastful demonstration of how easily she can drink water.

DeVos: “If you’re impressed by my water drinking skills, you should see me drink the kool-aid.”

21 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available