DeVos Dodges On CDC Guidelines | Talking Points Memo

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos declined to say whether schools should adhere to CDC guidelines as President Trump demands that they reopen amid surging cases of the coronavirus across the country.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1320077

She’s smart enough to know that saying “Let them eat cake” ain’t going to fly, but not by much, I’m sure that’s what she’s thinking.

33 Likes

I recommend the Justice Department investigate claims that a prostitute urinated on Donald Trump in a Moscow Hotel.

"These are recommendations… Every situation is going to look slightly different.”

9 Likes

Guidelines!!! We don’t need no stinkin’ guidelines!

2 Likes

We want to see every school district, every state doing the same thing to say not what we can’t do, but what we’re going to do and what we can do. We’re a country of action, we’re a country of doers.”

In that case, I look forward to Trump telling us what he’s going to do about Russian bounties on our troops.

I realize it’s off-topic, but you can’t make that type of grandiose statement without being held accountable.

25 Likes

I recommend the Senate Judiciary Committee subpoena William Barr and the Justice Department for evidence related to the resignation of Geoffrey Boerman.

"These are recommendations… Every situation is going to look slightly different.”

6 Likes

Thinking who cares as it is the poors who attend public schools, not our kind.

17 Likes

Dear Secretary DeVos,
I strongly recommend that you join students on the first day of school by riding a school bus full of children - some masked some unmasked. Then I cordially invite you to spend a month in a kindergarten classroom observing how 5-6 yr olds interact with each other. Psst, they have a hard time with social distancing.
Sincerely,
left coaster

41 Likes

I don’t think she ever said anything remotely resembling the idea of getting students (and educators) back to school safely. Ever. In addition to all that other stuff.

10 Likes

DeVos went on to repeatedly decline providing a straightforward answer on whether schools should follow CDC guidance as they reopen, before insisting that schools need to heed to Trump’s demand.

This is not at all reassuring to parents who simply want their kids to learn safely in school. Everything about this Administration is about the political, geared towards Trump’s re-election, than about the American people. And Betsy DeVos has nothing to say about our kid’s safety, not the public at large.

13 Likes

We’re a country of action, we’re a country of doers .

Soon to be a country of dead doers.

12 Likes

And now onto Fox News, but Chris Wallace is a serious kinda guy.

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar

·

8m

WALLACE: Germany had 378 new cases Fri. The US had 68,226. Is it fair to compare?

DeVOS: Well, we’re talking about reopening schools W: But schools happen in an environment D: We’re not talking about places where it’s out of control [it’s out of control in much of the country]

The BetsyBot is claiming that because other countries, like Germany, who had great leadership and did a good job of managing the coronavirus and mitigated outcomes, are sending kids back to school, then we (who did buggerall) can do the same.

31 Likes

Hey Ditzy Betsy

I’d like to know if it’s okay for Barron Trump to go to in-person school this fall!

AND

Would you confirm that Trump is wearing the face mask correctly?
No dodging allowed!

ICYMI:

23 Likes

Not just who cares, but that they should be thankful for the “gift” of public education, as if our whole society doesn’t benefit from the results.

13 Likes

She does not care. Keeping kids and staff safe is not her thing.

13 Likes

But polling tells them parents want kids back in school, consequences be damned.

Nuance doesn’t play well with this group.

3 Likes

“DeVos then added that education leaders are “smart people who can figure things out.””

A whole lot smarter than you and your boss. But then, who isn’t?

20 Likes

Well more likely than not the dead doers are public school teachers, teachers that belong to a union, so it’s one way to kill two cats with one stone. It will reduce the number of certified teachers, and reduce the number members in the teacher unions.

10 Likes

For every person not of color you should learn from this that Trump , McConnell, the RNC, most of the Repub Senate, DeVos, wealthy backers and anyone who will now vote all could care less about any children.
When they are done hurting minorities guess who is next?

7 Likes

Marcy Wheeler reminds us that DeVos is not a serious person.
`

DeVos wanted teachers to be armed against grizzly bears but she wants teachers and students to go unarmed against a deadly disease?

— emptywheel (@emptywheel) July 12, 2020
`
19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available