Biden Assistant Health Secretary Pick Would Be First Senate-Confirmed Openly Transgender Federal Official | Talking Points Memo

President-elect Joe Biden announced Tuesday that he will nominate top Pennsylvania health official, Rachel Levine, to be his assistant secretary of health. If confirmed by the Senate, Levine, a pediatrician, would become the first openly transgender federal official. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1355227
2 Likes

If you want to climb out of a pandemic, you choose personnel based on merit.

19 Likes

I’ve been seeing her on the news almost daily since the pandemic began. She is an excellent communicator, and the country should benefit. I read this morning that she was confirmed 3 times by the legislature in PA… And we have some MAJOR nutjobs at the state level in PA, so hopefully the Senate will confirm… I DARE Toomey to vote against her.

17 Likes

Some of the people he is appointing are braver than brave and this woman is clearly one of them.

22 Likes

Sounds overqualified even… This is going to drive the GOP nuts haha

11 Likes

I didn’t realize this position required Sense Approval. I’ve heard good things, I know Biden also picked someone from NJ to be part of the team. I like that.

Best of luck…I’m sure the GOP will try to find a reason to reject the pick and I expect a lot of coded words :angry:. I wonder which asshole will “slip” (first) and use him or Mr?

3 Likes

She sounds highly qualified and it is a good sign that Biden is picking people based on their qualifications. Let’s hope the rightwing assholes in the Senate don’t block her. It would be very interesting to know Lindsay Graham’s honest response to this appointment. We will see how he votes but I want to know how he feels about someone who does what they think is right for them, damn the consequences, rather than suck up and hide like Lindsay has done his entire life.

4 Likes

Yay! Yay! Yay! This is fantastic news!

Pennsylvania will miss her, her knowledge, her compassion, her strength, etc…but we shouldn’t keep her all to ourselves. She will be a great addition to Biden’s team.

20 Likes

Boy, parts of this country have come a long, long way. 47% have not…

6 Likes

Here in Pennsylvania, she has put up with all kinds of evil and nasty shit from the same people whom she is trying to protect. Her bravery and strength are far greater than most people’s.

16 Likes

Absolutely right

3 Likes

Dr Levine, along with Gov Wolf, are driving our totally worthless Repub House and Senate crazy.
They are dealing with some of the lowest forms of life, like all Trumpers, and publicly remained calm and informative.

6 Likes

I wonder which asshole will “slip” (first) and use him or Mr?

It’s been done. I was wondering what her preferred pronoun was. Pretty sure Dr. Levine refers to "her"self/she, and not “they.” I love her comment: “Please don’t misgender me.”

Here’s the story about the doofus who “slipped,” from May 2020:

A Pittsburgh radio station is again under scrutiny after one of its reporters called Department of Health Secretary Dr. Rachel Levine, a transgender woman, “sir” at least three times during a Tuesday press call.

7 Likes

The bravery of Dr. Levine is humbling. I don’t know the timing of Dr. Levine’s transitioning, but Instead of stepping away from public service she has continued to serve under the slings and arrows of the unwashed. We are so lucky to have brave servants like Dr Levine amongst us, especially at a time like this.

10 Likes

Your opinion is my opinion.

4 Likes

A little bit OT, but I’ve been noticing how many of Biden’s appointees are described as, and known for, being great communicators. I’m really happy about his trend. :grinning:

4 Likes

She may not satisfy every requirement but she certainly is a dedicated professional:

3 Likes

Thanks for writing this.

2 Likes

Here’s hoping they eventually have good things to communicate.

Digging us out of Trump will take time, but at least we can begin again.

4 Likes

I think this will be a fine challenge, and I expect they will rise to the occasion. The worst news is probably the news that really needs to be communicated well. Reporting the best news is easy.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available