Discussion: WH Says 'Highly Inappropriate' For Reporter To Question 'Marine General'

“As we say in the South, all hat, no cattle,”

I would have given all my money to any reporter that had shot back, “As we also say in the South, ‘Don’t piss on my back and tell me it’s raining.’”

12 Likes

Masha Gessen is on the case at the New Yorker blog.
John Kelly and the Language of the Military Coup

6 Likes

I would not characterize around 26% of the electorate as a large part of America.

14 Likes

As we say in Arizona, “That’s not a prime steer, podner, that’s a desiccating carcass in the last stages of putrefaction.”

1 Like

One in four is a pretty large percentage. It is a pretty scary percentage too. They vote.

2 Likes

Wonder if dumb-dumb Huck-San knows that Trump would stab her in the back and throw her right out onto Penn Ave tomorrow if he thought that would serve his interest. Kelly and his four stars can kiss my ass, he lied and got caught, and deserves everything he gets.

4 Likes

You can’t handle the truth!

2 Likes

I don’t buy those kinds of numbers. I could line up 12 Americans right this minute and not one of them would like Trump.

It’s bullshit. He is a Minority President.

7 Likes

That Gold Star Father Khan, who immigrated to the US and became a naturalized citizen, is more American that trump, Perry, or Kelly will ever be.

6 Likes

Oh we are under military dictatorship now? Gee, who knew?

9 Likes

The WH is insisting on destroying Kelly’s reputation for a very little to a negative return. It’s quite remarkable to watch Trump throw Kelly into the flames and Kelly ready to dive in so for so little gain.

Kelly’s rep is in tatters. He’s a full fledged Sith now. Kelly could really put this to bed and revive himself by issuing a public apology from the podium. Trump would fire him if he did, but I think it would be a worthy sacrifice. If Kelly were bold enough to admit his error, he could destroy Trumpism in 1 fell swoop.The specter of an old white, conservative military man humbly and fortnightly apologizing to a black, female member of Congress would be symbolically important in this country’s journey to embrace POCs as equals. This is precisely why Trump would rather lose his left nut than do it. Apology is not only weakness to him, it represents the thing the conservative movement can never do. If they do that, the culture war is lost and Obama has won.

When I saw Obama speak in VA yesterday, I saw a man confident that the America he believes in will triumph. I am not quite so optimistic as him, but I do see that the Trumper Tantrum movement is under a lot of pressure and cannot sustain itself. It keeps finding stuff to throw at people to fight for another day. Trump is sacrificing the most valuable asset he has in the WH for nothing. This whole episode has opened up a lot more focus on what happened in Niger and has exposed them to the WH press. There will be a lot more leaks and stories on all manner of things, including #trumprussia, after this colossal screw up.

25 Likes

IF there was any credibility to implode in the first place, McM blew it spectacularly with those “completely appropriate” “wholly appropriate” comments (and he is still there). Kelly imploded spectacularly with this rape of a sitting African American female congressman and Gold Star families.

So who’s up next to implode? There aren’t many left who haven’t imploded yet so spectacularly (… I have one name in mind and that makes me scared like hell).

5 Likes

“Beware of the military industrial complex” with the four star general puppet.
We thought we were safe until this week when Kelly spoke and removed all doubt.

2 Likes

On the contrary, it is highly appropriate to point out that Obergruppenfuehrer Kelly is lying when he lies.

7 Likes

Yeah, god forbid a civilian ask a question of a military employee, or otherwise exercise the idea of civilian control of the military.

12 Likes

Sanders’ comment is ridiculous. Four-star generals (and he’s retired, by the way) are subject to fact-checking just like the rest of us mortals.

9 Likes

“If you want to go after Gen. Kelly, that’s up to you,” Sanders said. “But I think that, if you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that that’s something highly inappropriate.”

She didn’t say it would be a losing proposition, or stupid, or unproductive, or asking to be bettered in a debate by a smarter, faster-thinking debate adversary. She said it would be “inappropriate,” as in: “In Trump’s ‘Murika, you do not have the right to ask questions of his Chief of Staff because that COS is a retired Marine general, one of Trumps’ generals in this soon-to-be military dictatorship, someone better than you because you, as a member of what used to be a free press in a democracy, are no longer relevant.”

6 Likes

Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions of Ms. Sanders. The question should be, “What were our soldiers doing in Niger, and why is this administration so interested in our not finding out”?

10 Likes

Feeling like resigning yet, Gen. Kelly?

4 Likes

One must create the ability in his staff to generate clear, forceful arguments for opposing viewpoints as well as for their own. Open discussions and disagreements must be encouraged, so that all sides of an issue are fully explored.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hyman_G._Rickover

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available