Discussion: Watch A Trump Judicial Nominee Fail To Answer GOP Sen's Questions About Law

Speechless. Jaw on the floor. Literally watched it with my mouth hanging open. Never tried a case to verdict. Never argued a motion in state or federal court. Never even took a fucking deposition. Hadn’t read the rules of civil procedure since law school. Couldn’t even tell him what a goddamn motion in limine was.

The Younger and Pullman Abstention questions, yeah, those were a bit advanced. Compared to, say, “have you ever argued a motion in state court?” or “what’s a motion in limine.” But they ought to be, at most, of the “okay, I need to take a quick peek at Wikipedia to refresh my recollection about which is which” variety of advanced for anyone appointed to a federal judgeship and the person in question better have a bunch of other relevant experience. (Ideally, of course, the answer would be, “yes, Senator, I have briefed and argued cases involving Younger abstention, Pullman abstention, Burford, Thibideaux, Colorado River, Rooker Feldman, Political Question Doctrine, all that shit Senator.”)

And there’s a level of arrogant naivete on the part of this dimwit to even think he was in the ballpark of being qualified for this appointment. There’s a level of outright stupidity for all involved to be treating a federal judgeship as if this is pre-Pendelton Act America and he’s being appointed deputy postmaster of Bumfuck, Idaho.

I have worked with people who’ve gone through the initial screening process for a federal judicial nomination–just the paperwork, the incredibly detailed questionnaire, the financial disclosures and questions intended to flush out whether there’s anything in your past that will embarrass the administration during confirmation proceedings. One guy I know said it was like subjecting your entire personal and professional career to a colo-rectal exam without anesthesia. And that was back under Bush with a friendly Senate.

I know distinguished, politically well connected rial lawyers who didn’t make the grade because they didn’t have criminal law experience (though people with criminal experience but little or no civil didn’t similarly get blackballed) or because they had too long a paper trail of scholarly articles or news clippings.

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who started the initial vetting process and decided it wasn’t worth it or that, having seen the kind of stuff they’re being asked, in all honesty, felt they weren’t qualified. And then once you get nominated, there’s generally a further grueling paper interrogation that happens well before the hearing that should be another red flag that you’re in trouble because this isn’t just like appointing some country clubbing dilettante to be Assistant Deputy Undersecretary of Commerce.

The only thing I can figure out is that Trump has just completely trashed the entire vetting process, start to finish. People are being selected based on loyalty and fealty with sublime unconcern for qualification and, if they have a J.D., that’s it.

33 Likes

As a lawyer with 20 years of litigation experience, I can tell you that these folks are known in the trade by the Latin term “fucking idiots.”

18 Likes

And those of us small firm bulldogs who face off against large firm padded-bio top-tier fluffed-transcript grade-inflation guys like him will tell you, universally, that the vast majority of them couldn’t lawyer their way out of a paperbag. The few who are actually smart and competitive become partners and make actual names for themselves, but the majority spend a few years making bank and then fall out of the big firm or bounce around to a few different ones for a while, then become nobody.

This performance of his is so atrocious that he should be fired from the election commission as well. He’s an incompetent boob who belongs practicing family law and covering petty criminal hearings in a rural area.

15 Likes

C’mon, they didn’t ask the really pertinent question. How much did he contribute to Trump’s campaign?

4 Likes

No words.

Only the best people. You’ll see. Only the best!

9 Likes

Tribalism uber alles.

6 Likes

It was, to my way of thinking, so egregious as to have been unethical.

13 Likes

Agreed.

4 Likes

Once again, the incompetence of a Trump appointee is a feature, not a bug. They are appointed purely as loyal ideologues, with the purpose of undermining the judiciary and its Constitutional role as a check on the other branches of government.

Think of Shakespeare’s oft-misunderstood line from Henry VI, “The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.”

The checks and balances of the law/judiciary is the last defense against tyranny – the GOP has been desperately trying to dismantle the authority of the federal courts for decades. Appointing these utter boobs is just a continuation of that effort. Does anyone think a clown like this or others of his ilk would ever do anything but rubber-stamp every piece of Republican legislation at every level of government?

6 Likes

This guy will be booted but the real sin is that he was considered. And it won’t hurt Trump a bit. Lets have a contest…how do they fix this? My entry: they send it to the Word Shop and get a jingo ahead of it. Like: ‘well we didn’t hire him for what he’s done in the past but for the good things he can do for America in the future’ and that sorry crap will work. Work, as in no one in the Trump camp now will see this incompetence as a reason to leave. They’ll spew the jingo and nothing changes. The 33% stays 33%.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust this boob to do an equitable distribution for a twenty year old getting out of her starter marriage. Never argued a motion. Never even argued a goddamned motion in state or federal court.

7 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say. Even for a liberal Democrat like me.

1 Like

Certainly it’s unethical to nominate this creature to a post for which he’s obviously wildly unqualified. We’ve seen that over and over again. It’s so unethical that’s it’s not in a gray area, it’s way over in the red zone where there’s no question the practice of ethics needs to examine.

7 Likes

Are we sure he actually went to law school?

3 Likes

Given that all the FEC does is find that it doesn’t have to do anything, that’s quite a plaudit. And being chairman means all you have to do is rubber stamp what the permanent staff does. Indeed, the permanent staff are more qualified than this douche because they’ve done actual legal work of a sort.

7 Likes

How about: “The Petersen Talley Law Firm. No experience in…you know, actually practicing law. But, we’re willing to give it a try with your case, your life and your future.”

4 Likes

I suspect we’re looking at this from the wrong angle. I don’t know jack about this guy and guess that most people don’t know any more. But If I had to bet I’d put all my money on him being a horrible man and a hard core partisan. Willing to dish out cruelty all day long from the bench. You don’t need to know anything about court procedure if your intention is to turn the court into a party associate. I can’t imagine Trump had anything else in mind.

5 Likes

More Trumpist legal eagle flummery.

4 Likes

Petersen is an example of the Peter Principle run amuck. For each opportunity, privilege, and honor he was given over the years by conservatives and Republicans, there were numerous other people more qualified but who never got the chance: too much melanin, not enough testosterone.

If there were any justice in the world, you’d never have encountered Petersen, except maybe behind the counter at a fast-food franchise along Interstate 80 in Wendover, Utah.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available