Discussion: Watch A Trump Judicial Nominee Fail To Answer GOP Sen's Questions About Law

Frankly, this guy even accepting his nomination and showing up at the hearing should be considered a violation of the professional ethics rules.

17 Likes

Iā€™m not sure this guy could wipe his own ass without the assistance of some smug little Gorsuch-worshipping clerk. One imagines him pulling out his phone to look something up every time someone raises an objection.

8 Likes

The bar is set so low for every office in the land, every appointment to an agency, every nominee for a lifetime federal judgeship - itā€™s disgusting and dangerous. At least to drive a car you have to get a learnerā€™s permit first and pass a basic written and behind-the wheel test that show you know how to do whatā€™s actually involved in the activity. Not so for the new American government.

18 Likes

Please, America give the Democrats the majority in the Senate this Fall and help save America! Theyā€™ll put a stop to this madness!

7 Likes

These questions are so utterly basic that I have to imagine this was a surprise for Kennedy and Grassley, et al. Like a real ā€œholy shitā€¦are you kidding meā€ moment.

8 Likes

Seriously. If you even know, say, six or eight basic things about trials, somewhere on the list you put there there are rules about evidence. And like I said, itā€™s part of popular culture, not just background knowledge. Itā€™s not esoteric, itā€™s not a gotcha question. Itā€™s like asking a photographer what shutter speed does, or a writer whatā€™s the difference between subject and object. Fundamental, basic, bedrock stuff.

13 Likes

Q: What do you call a doctor who graduates last in his/her class? A: A doctor. The same thing applies to lawyersā€¦

6 Likes

Senator i believe you mean a motion in LIMON. An archaic term for 7up alternative Sprite

10 Likes

Was Trump running a fake law school also?

14 Likes

It goes to the very very core of the integrity of our judicial processes and system. If you are a judge, you determine what evidence the trier of fact (jury) is allowed to hear in order to determine the facts to which the law must be applied. The rules of evidence, what is permissible and impermissible, what is relevant, material, prejudicial or so bad as to demand a mistrial, is WHAT YOU DO if you are a judge. For someone to receive a nomination like this, but not have drafted, filed and argued countless motions in limine themself before countless judges is LITERALLY an outright and brazen attack on the basic foundations of our justice system and judicial branch.

26 Likes

I was wondering, because usually Kennedy is on board. But if he wants his unqualified wingnut on the bench instead of someone elseā€™s, this would make sense. And note to Grassley and McConnell: this is why you shouldnā€™t hold hearings. It only causes trouble.

4 Likes

As a judge, heā€™d listen to the arguments of counsel for both sides, and then decide based on:
A. His knowledge of the law, and application of the law to the facts after careful consideration of the issue
B. Which side heā€™s been told to favor based on political concerns
C. Which side he favors based on ideology

ā€œAā€ should be the only answer.

7 Likes

Somewhat OT but, what the hell, itā€™s Friday:

I was in DC photographing the Cherry Blossom Festival in 2014 and stumbled across this restaurant that had just opened in the former ABA building. Great old building, gorgeous interior, pretty great restaurant. It literally just opened and the owner was a guy who claimed that had formerly held some political office (in IL maybe?) and was the ex-husband to Hugh Hefnerā€™s daughter. Great bar and gorgeous place to visit.

Happy Friday

5 Likes

So Iā€™m going to go out on a limb here and assume Petersen is a regressive, racist homophobe and thus qualified in the eyes of Trump?

4 Likes

Oh. You know they are bad if GOPers are going after them.

2 Likes

I cringe whenever I hear anyone comment on a legal matter based on what they observed during a television show. I have conducted numerous trials in which no motion in limine was filed.

4 Likes

Just keep in mind that Petersen graduated magna cum laude at BYU, made law review at UVA, and was appointed by G. W. Bush to the Federal Election Commission, which august body he now serves as chairman.

4 Likes

That menu looks awesome haha. Now I want a steak for lunchā€¦

1 Like

Brazen is the word. No attempt to hide it. I think in their minds itā€™s normal, to be expected. These people literally cannot imagine how or why you would act with civic responsibility. Beyond their ken.

7 Likes

Next time Iā€™m in DC, Iā€™m definitely going back.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available