Discussion: Watch A Trump Judicial Nominee Fail To Answer GOP Sen's Questions About Law

2 Likes

That was painful.

27 Likes

Can’t wait to see comments by ncsteve and other real lawyers and legal minds on this one.

24 Likes

Deer meets headlights…

edit: Deer meets speeding semi…

23 Likes

I’m not one but I’ve read some on the Twitters and…not pretty. I think McGahn ignored the usual protocol of giving the home state senator the lead on nominees and then pressuring Kennedy to vote for this incompetent anyway. It looks to me like Kennedy is making a point.

18 Likes

As an attorney, this infuriates me on so many non-political, non-partisan levels I can’t even form words for it right now. The ABA and state bar associations need to get their fucking acts together and start speaking out about this.

48 Likes

Wow, that was absolutely pathetic.

I’m not even a lawyer and I could have given a better answer on what a motion in limine is about.

Peterson tried to make it sound like he had some familiarity with the concept, but just couldn’t offer a precise definition. My guess is that he had no idea at all, and that’s why he started to filibuster. Good job by Senator Kennedy in following up to ask him again to answer the question directly.

10 Likes

I believe Grassley already announced that they will be summarily ignoring any blue slips that the GOP doesn’t like.

14 Likes

Well, why have them then? Why have any norms when the GOP is just going to ignore them?

8 Likes

Something they need but apparently was missing from the gene pool and are incapable of feeling

shame
SHām/
noun
noun: shame

a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.
"she was hot with shame"
synonyms:	humiliation, mortification, chagrin, ignominy, embarrassment, indignity, discomfort More
"her face was scarlet with shame"
guilt, remorse, contrition, compunction
"I felt shame at telling a lie"
antonyms:	pride, indifference
    a loss of respect or esteem; dishonor.
    "the incident had brought shame on his family"
    synonyms:	disgrace, dishonor, discredit, degradation, ignominy, disrepute, infamy, scandal, opprobrium, contempt; dateddisesteem
    "he brought shame on the family"
    antonyms:	glory, honor
    used to reprove someone for something of which they should be ashamed.
    "shame on you for dredging up such terrible memories"
    a regrettable or unfortunate situation or action.
    "it is a shame that they are not better known"
    synonyms:	pity, misfortune, sad thing; More
    bad luck;
    informalbummer, crime, sin, crying shame
    "it's a shame she never married"
    a person, action, or situation that brings a loss of respect or honor.
    plural noun: shames
    "ignorance of Latin would be a disgrace and a shame to any public man"

verb
verb: shame; 3rd person present: shames; past tense: shamed; past participle: shamed; gerund or present participle: shaming

(of a person, action, or situation) make (someone) feel ashamed.
"I tried to shame him into giving some away"
synonyms:	humiliate, mortify, chagrin, embarrass, abash, chasten, humble, take down a peg or two, cut down to size; More
informalshow up, make someone eat crow
"he was shamed in public"
    bring shame to.
    "the entire debacle has shamed our community"
    synonyms:	disgrace, dishonor, discredit, degrade, debase; More
    stigmatize, taint, sully, tarnish, besmirch, blacken, drag through the mud
    "you shamed your family's name"
    antonyms:	honor
    cause (someone) to feel ashamed or inadequate by outdoing or surpassing them.
    "she shames me with her eighty-year-old energy"

Origin
Old English sc(e)amu (noun), sc(e)amian ‘feel shame,’ of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schamen (verb) and German Scham (noun), schämen (verb).
Translate shame to
Use over time for: shame

12 Likes

Well, why have them then? Why have any norms when the GOP is just going to ignore them?

It’s what they do.

11 Likes

I’m just a citizen and it is infuriating too - it’s only one more example of the utter contempt Trump and his whole crowd of frauds, crooks, and idiots have for us.

22 Likes

Instead of “answering” questions at all, Petersen would have been more convincing had he just stood up and danced the Macarena.

23 Likes

Neither am I but unless I’m wildly mistaken and blitzed on quaaludes the judge’s decision to exclude evidence at the beginning of a trial out of the jury’s hearing is the move that happened soon after the beginning of every Law & Order episode for years and years. Every single one without exception. It set up the rest of the plot and it’s as essential to the series as the “bum-bum” noise. It’s not some esoteric thing.

22 Likes

So the GOP and MSM can insist upon them when the Dems are in power.

18 Likes

With the rumors of Ryan’s retirement next year and I’m betting that McConnell will go in 2020, they’re going for the gold of egregiousness. Not even pretending anymore. It’s a bit refreshing. Their replacements will have to answer for them … oh, right, no they won’t.

13 Likes

After years of Trump’s questioning a brilliant president’s qualifications, the nation is now subjected to this onslaught of shamelessly incompetent nincompoops.

20 Likes

I can’t decide if Senator Kennedy is doing this on his own, or if he got the go-ahead from Grassley. He’s probably the most reluctant Republican when it comes to tearing down financial regulations, too–almost balances out his smarmy bastard of a fellow senator, Cassidy.

5 Likes

During the GHW Bush administration, someone I knew with excellent GOP connections and a long resume of handling appellate matters but no trial experience was nominated to become a district court judge. Because of his lack of trial experience, the ABA concluded that he was “not qualified” to be a district judge. He then did what everyone expected, and informed Bush that he was withdrawing his nomination.

Now, it seems, lack of relevant experience makes no difference either to the person being nominated or to most of the GOP Senators.

17 Likes

“in limine” = “at the threshold”

I mean, this is such basic shit you don’t even need to know the Latin translation. Any fucknut who has spent a few months in a litigation practice, even just as a student intern or clerk, would know that “oh, yeah, motions in limine are those things you file right before trial and almost always deal with what evidence the parties will be allowed to present at trial and how.”

11 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available