Discussion: Trump Stonewalls On When He Knew Flynn Lied To FBI: 'You Know The Answer'

You hate Rawstory because you don’t trust them - at least you have said that so I was being facetious.

You seem to have me confused with someone else. I have no opinion on or about Rawstory.

It is Louise Mensch and her triumvirate of CTers I have zero respect for.

If a president could pardon himself for any and all crimes, he would be above the law.
Nothing in US history or the US Constitution supports such an idea.

6 Likes

Sorry then but I thought I posted a link to a Rawstory piece awhile back and there was discussion about how untrustworthy their headlines are and their stories. I was pretty sure you didn’t approve of Rawstory but if I’m wrong, good. It’s one of the only news aggregates left really.

2 Likes

That is correct.

That’s why I agree with Lawrence Tribe.

2 Likes

I’m not a lawyer—and I don’t play one on teevee----but I know that Tribe is correct on this issue.
It’s both common sense and a realistic reading of history.

2 Likes

Thank you because that is exactly the way I see it too. Any other interpretation destroys our government basically because it would enable presidents to act outside the constitution and no, they can’t. they have no power except what the constitution gives them and it would make a mockery of our history - we got rid of a king.

2 Likes

The President’s ability to issue himself a pardon is not settled law.

I didn’t say it was.

But no really credible legal scholar believes he can pardon himself.

1 Like

No it’s not because it hasn’t come up before. That’s why.

No president has tried it before but anyone who understands the constitution and our government should be able to see this.

3 Likes

There is nothing in the Constitution that explicitly forbids it. Failing an explicit prohibition a default to the precise language covering pardon powers would not be an unsurprising ruling for SCOTUS to make, especially this court.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Exactly, and his answer is that of a truculent five-year-old.

4 Likes

We’ve had this argument about 3 times. I’m not changing my mind on it. There is only one thing in the United States of AMerica that empowers the government’s 3 branches and that is the constitution. Nobody gets to act outside the 4 corners of the document because there is no power or authority to do anything outside the 4 corners of the document which must be read as a whole, not in pieces. It all works together.

7 Likes

None exists, because no judge has been asked to deliver one. Yet.

2 Likes

Hence any professed surety it can’t be done is merely speculative.

Is that a picture of him shuffling some paper after saying he’s too busy working to answer all these questions, again?

1 Like

More or less, yes.

And if Bush v. Gore taught us anything at all …

1 Like

Jebus what a phucking idiot.

[quote=“irishbark, post:25, topic:66392, full:true”]
Most importantly Mueller know when Donny!I hear the train a coming!
[/quote]I hear the train a comin’ rollin’ round the bend
I ain’t seen the sunshine since I don’t know when
Well I’m stuck in Folsom Prison and time keeps dragging on
While a train keeps a rollin’ on down to San Antone

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available