Discussion: Trump Rejects Criticism He Waited Too Long To Condemn White Supremacists

Rachel started her show with a brutal takedown of Tramp, pointing out that a close-up shot of talking points the so-called prez slipped into his inner jacket pocket before going out to the podium specifically addressed the Nazi/KKK rally this weekend. Today was no accident. Today was planned.

I am literally (yes, literally!) nauseous over this situation in which we find ourselves.

8 Likes

That burns my butt! It’s that scorecard kind of analysis trying to create some sort of abstract parallel between a normal, if not too successful president and a fucking raving lunatic who’s going to tear down his own party and possibly the country.

1 Like

These hate groups will turn on each other. So, the KKK hates Blacks, Jews, Gays, Catholics , I imagine all non-Whites. Who do they like?I feel like there is a conflict between the KKK and Nazis at some point. I hate to parse or even allow them space in my head by I thought Nazis were anti Christian which these KKK types claim to be.
Are the alt right the ‘new’ KKK but without the hoods? I do not know how those at the SPLC or those who infiltrate do it…my head is spinning. So much hate.

1 Like

Which is why I don’t think it ends that way, I see impeachment based on other things, most probably Mueller’s investigations and trail of indictments (but quite possibly other issues less sensitive to the intel community and even the GOP). The 25th will only come into play if he is completely unable to function, not if he is functionally insanely.

I tend to believe most “inside baseball” pieces I read that have GOP Congress critters saying privately that he is nuts. More importantly, I believe that they have seen from his actions during the healthcare debacle, up to and including his attacks on McConnell, that they no longer hold up any hope that he is just a pen waiting to sign their legislation. He is now viewed as an obstacle to getting their agenda passed, likely to turn on them (already has turned on them), and a huge anchor heading into 2018. This event is giving them the opportunity to put distance between themselves and Trump, that’s why so many are coming out against him on this.

But I think its doubtful he gets impeached before 2019, for a number of reasons. First, I doubt Mueller would have the airtight case that the GOP needs him to have before next November. Second, they definitely don’t want to be running campaigns while conducting impeachment proceedings against a republican President (though if it is forced upon them by Mueller providing such a case sooner, they will move forward with it shockingly fast. To get it out of the way and so they can campaign as being the true Defenders of the Republic.) Thirdly, and I hope I am wrong about this, but I doubt I am, I believe its highly likely that he will engage us in a military conflict somewhere in the world before next November, and that will make republicans even less likely to impeach a war time President.

If they don’t impeach him, Democrats take back the House in 2018, and will draw up articles of impeachment. They too, will probably wait upon Mueller, as its the less risky political strategy, but the power of oversight will kick in in a big way immediately. I am less hopeful of us taking back the Senate, but its really a moot point from an impeachment standpoint anyway. No matter what happens in 2018, we are going to need a sizable number of republicans to vote to remove him from office in order to get to 2/3 of the Senate. And I think they will at that point in time. Pence becomes President, though a lame duck immediately, and faces a primary in 2020, possibly going down in history as the first sitting President to lose a party primary.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Perhapz a reason to fonally get a twit account.
.to add another Like!

2 Likes

(John Tyler screwed the Whigs royally, if that’s any consolation.)

And then they’ll be nothing to stop their rage but to shoot them.

Va bene.

I’m sorry. We can’t wait another month, let alone another year.

4 Likes

Here is the JFC memo (embedded).

3 Likes

Here’s what I keep thinking about - if what we’ve seen in snippets from Tramp over the past few weeks is him acting his most presidential, just imagine how crazy he must be acting around the WH. Imagine the things he says when he’s not trying to stay on message, not trying to seem normal and unworried about Mueller/Russia. That has to be an absolute shit show on an hourly basis and I have not doubt - none whatsoever - that Kelly, McMaster, Mattis and others have met privately, perhaps with Pence, to put a contingency plan in place when he finally snaps.

Kelly drew the short straw.

2 Likes

Bannon and boys doubling down.

2 Likes

As is the soundtrack. Blood and soil. Jews will not replace us.

But I guess Trump just likes to look for the good in everyone.

1 Like

That means Kelly had known it. That makes this thing a whole lot worse for him.

If he actually hadn’t known it… that also makes this thing a whole lot worse for him.

ETA: His face up close.

1 Like

A psychologist friend of mine once said, “A neurotic person has disturbing thoughts. A psychotic person expresses them.”

1 Like

I still don’t buy that. If anything, the WH has gotten worse, even more chaotic, in the past 2-3 weeks than it was when Priebus was there. Kelly got a brief honeymoon period, but that is clearly over. McMaster is on the ropes, and has been basically sidelined for months. His freaking staff is putting together Alex Jones level conspiracy memos and giving them to Junior!! Mattis is being batted around like a ball of yarn by the President on putting together an Afghanistan strategy…the latest on that is still nothing, but now Mattis is having to take input from Bannon on military strategy. And of course Tillerson is a complete joke, both to rest of the world AND inside the administration.

There is no “Axis of Adults”, there never has been. It was a fantasy created out of desperation for something to cling to. But it doesn’t exist. It was always folly to assume that generals would translate into able statesmen and politicians overnight. Its an entirely different game with different rules. A game that men who have spent their lives respecting chains of command, following orders and engaging in order are depressingly ill equipped to play. All of those things are hindrances to working in this WH, not strengths.

Kelly might resign tomorrow. But I seriously doubt it. He must realize that he, nor anyone else, will ever bring anything resembling order to this WH. What he doesn’t seem to realize is he is CoS so Trump can A) pretend there is military order, B) humiliate a much more challenging CoS than Priebus, and C) to be the fall guy for the next big policy disaster.

We’ve already seen A happen and get thrown to the curb. We are seeing B happen now. C will happen before the year is out.

4 Likes

“He pulled the statement he had made Saturday out of his
pocket and re-read it, but left out the part when he said “many sides”
were responsible for the weekend’s violence.”

Eff this memory hole bullshit.

1 Like

Well, at least we will be spared another story in WaPo or NYT about how Lust Object is a “moderating influence.”

4 Likes

I understand your worry, believe me, I do. But he ain’t going to be impeached in a month. Even if papers were drawn up tonight, and every republican was on board, that process won’t happen in 30 days.

So saying you can’t wait another month…what other options do we have?

Not necessarily.

I think its very possible, and highly likely, that he is out of the loop at this stage of the game. But I wouldn’t rule out complicity entirely either.

Complicity means he keeps his job, and isn’t resigning soon. Out of the loop means his days are numbered.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available